Without You, I'm Just Me

Everything We Had...Is No Longer There

For the first time ever, I was actually excited about Valentine’s Day. I barely slept, thinking about what Patrick’s surprise could be. I woke up an hour earlier that morning, just to make sure I looked decent. I’d spent an hour at the mall last night, looking for the perfect present for Patrick. I wanted it to be something personal, something that he would instantly think of me everytime he saw it. Then I remembered Patrick’s order at the guitar store, he’d been paying off an electric guitar there for months now. I went into the closet and pulled it out. There was Patrick’s brand new red electric guitar I had finished paying off for him, with a special engraving on the back. I knew he’d love it. “Angie, Patrick’s here.” I quickly put the guitar back in my closet and walked down the stairs. I saw Patrick at the door, instantly beaming as soon as he saw me. Again, I melted inside as I smiled back.

“Ready to go?” he asked.

I shoot him puppy dog eyes. “Don’t you want your present?”

He smiled mischievously. “Well now that you mention this present, I guess we can run a little behind schedule.” I ran up the stairs, motioning for him to follow me. I went over to the closet. “Close your eyes.” He sat on the bed and closed his eyes, as I pulled the guitar out of the closet. “Open your eyes.” Patrick slowly opened his eyes, staring at the guitar before frowning.

“What’s wrong?” I bit my lip, it was definitely the same guitar.

“So no sexy pictures of you in your underwear?” He smiled and started laughing. I frowned, and punched him in the arm.

“That was NOT funny, I seriously freaked. Do you know how much that cost me? And you haven’t even looked at the back of it.”

He pulled it out of my hands and flipped it over. “Happy Valentines Patrick, Hope you like the guitar, and promise me you’ll never leave me alone. Love, Angie. Awwwww” he leant over and gave me a tight hug. I blushed at his sudden burst of affection. “I’m glad you like it.” Patrick looked at his watch, and began to stand up.

“Well I’m going to take this home, then we will get to your surprise. Coming?” He grabbed my hand and pulled me out the door.

“Patrick, can you slow down? I can’t see a thing.” I complained as I tripped awkwardly through the snow. Patrick laughed as he pulled me further through the snow. “I still don’t see why the blindfold is necessary.”

“You’ll find out in a minute. Don’t worry, I promise it’ll be worth it.”

I made a face. “You’re not going to give me porn are you?” Patrick laughed again, then stopped. He let go of my hand and gently removed the blindfold. I opened my eyes, taking in my surroundings. I frowned “You dragged me all this way to see a park bench?” Patrick returned my frown.

“No, I just thought it’d be nicer than sitting in my backyard.” He pulled a small blue box out of his pocket. “Open it.”

I held it in my hands for a minute, Patrick looking at me expectantly. I opened the lid of the box, letting my jaw drop down. Inside the small box was a silver necklace with a silver fan threaded onto it embedded with a small sapphire. “Oh Patrick.” he smiled and wrapped me in another hug. I handed him the necklace and turned around, holding back my hair. Patrick leant over, putting the necklace around my neck. I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand up at his touch, it was the most amazing feeling. “I have another surprise for you, you know.”

I turned around, my eyes wide with excitement. “Another one?” Patrick nodded and pulled out his acoustic guitar from behind the park bench. I’d seen Patrick practice heaps of times with his band, but I realised that I’d never heard him sing before.

“What are you thinking about?” he asked as he pulled the guitar out of the case, sitting on the bench.

“I was just thinking about how I’ve never heard you sing before, but I’ve seen your band practice heaps of times.”

“Well that’s about to change.” he put the guitar in his lap, and tapped the seat, motioning for me to sit beside him. I sat on the bench beside him and smiled. He began to strum at the guitar then stopped. “Just keep in mind that I’ve never played this for anyone before, and it’s not perfect yet-”

“Patrick, just play it.” I interrupted. Patrick laughed nervously.

“Ok then.” He opened his mouth and began to sing. It was like nothing I’d ever heard before, it was absolutely beautiful.

“Where is your boy tonight?
I hope he is a gentleman
Maybe he won't find out what I know
You were the last good thing about this part of town
When I wake up,
I'm willing to take my chances on
The hope I forget
That you hate him more than you notice
I wrote this for you
You need him
I could be him
I could be an accident but I'm still trying
That's more than I can say for him
Where is your boy tonight?
I hope he is a gentleman
Maybe he won't find out what I know
You were the last good thing about this part of town
Someday I'll appreciate in value
Get off my ass and call you
But in the meantime I'll sport my brand new fashion
Of waking up with pants on at 4:00 in the afternoon
You need him
I could be him
I could be an accident but I'm still trying
That's more than I can say for him
Where is your boy tonight?
I hope he is a gentleman
Maybe he won't find out what I know
You were the last good thing about this part of town
He won't find out
He won't find out
Where is your boy tonight?
I hope he is a gentleman
Maybe he won't find out what I know
You were the last good thing about this part of town
Where is your boy tonight?
I hope he is a gentleman
Maybe he won't find out what I know
You were the last good thing about this part of town” Patrick played his last note and placed the guitar back in his lap. He blushed as he looked at my expression. “What did you think?” I realised if I was ever going to tell him how I felt, now was the time. “Patrick…I love you.” I leant across the bench and gently pressed my lips against his. He moved closer, only the guitar separating us. It was the most incredible feeling I’d ever felt, I wanted it to go on forever. However, soon after it began, Patrick pulled away, looking pale and nervous. I frowned. “What’s wrong?”

Patrick looked guilty. “Angie.. I have a girlfriend.” I felt the color run from my face. I’d never felt more sick in my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Say what you will but I hated writing this chapter because it made Patrick seem like a conniving jerk who took advantage of her. Obviously this is not the case but that's how it will seem for a while.
|----------Original Author's Notes----------|
Everytime I try to post this it seems to find some reason to screw up. Well that's the internet and karma for you. It's probably punishing me for not posting this two days ago when I finished writing it. Well here's the most exciting chapter so far in my fanfiction. Read, rate and enjoy XD oh, and thnks to The Academy Is... for the title name haha. And wanna know what's ironic: itunes shuffle is now playing Angie - Cobra Starship XD.