Sequel: So Close To Perfect

Mad World

I didn't want to get my hopes up.

I gathered my stuff and headed home. I was just about to unlock the front door when my crazed mother came bursting through it, almost knocking me over.

“What happened?” I shouted at her. I was slightly relieved to see that she was smiling but it was still creepy.

“They called!” she slurred; obviously under the influence of alcohol. “They called, you’re in! They said you were great!!”

Although I had a feeling I knew what she was talking about I didn’t want to get my hopes up.

“Who called?” I asked sternly, shaking her shoulders hoping to bring her to her senses.

“Drama school! You’re going to New York next year!!” She was smiling ear to ear now.

I collapsed in the doorway. “Whoa” was all I could say.

That night we had a rare full-family dinner. When mum announced the great news Kat ignored it and dad just grunted.

He thought for a second then said “How do you reckon he’s going to get there?”

I hadn’t thought about that yet. Oh my god! I’m going to have to leave all my friends and Ellie! I had been so blinded by excitement that they hadn’t even crossed my mind since I came home.

“I don’t suppose you could take him?” Mum replied timidly.

Within five minutes they were in a heated argument. Kat and I retreated to our rooms which gave me time to think things over.

“Frank…FRAAAANK!!! You’ll be late for school!” came mum’s voice from the kitchen. Wow! I really needed to get an alarm clock. I threw on some clothes and went to the kitchen.

“So…what’s going to happen?”I asked cautiously.

“You and your father will be moving up to New York next year” she stated simply.

I looked at her in amazement. How had she persuaded dad to do that, and where were they going to find the money for the move? Before I could ask any more questions, Kat and I were pushed out the front door. I was applying make-up in the car when Kat spoke to me for the first time in who knows how long.

“Wow” she said happily “I’m so glad you were accepted at that drama school thing.”

Okay… either she was Kat’s long lost, identical sister or she was possessed. I just stared at her in disbelief, unable to think of anything to say.

“I won’t have to see you for a whole year!” she exclaimed.

I glared at her despite the fact that she couldn’t take her eyes off the road to see me. I resumed applying make-up to my face.

When I saw my friends under the usual tree, I couldn’t help a wave of sadness wash over me. I couldn’t imagine not seeing them for a whole year.

The end of the year came all too soon. My friends were all upset when I told them I was moving. No one cried as much as Ellie. They all understood how much acting meant to me so they didn’t make me try to stay. I spent a lot of time with them during the holidays, especially Ellie. Kat was always disgusted when she saw my friends; Black skinnies, black hair and either red or black or both around their eyes.

Finally it was the day of my departure. I wasn’t too hyped about spending so much time with my dad but I persuaded myself it would all be worth it as I said my goodbyes. I kissed Ellie one last time and wiped her tears with my gloves. I hugged the others including a crying Mikey (no I did not wipe away his tears that would be a little weird).

It wasn’t until I had climbed into the taxi that I let a tear escape my eye. I didn’t stop crying until we reached the airport. I slept during the flight as I couldn’t sleep the night before. As we landed I couldn’t stop my jaw from dropping. It was so incredibly different to New Jersey that I could hardly believe it was the same country. Instead of the half rotting one or two storey buildings and deserted rubbish-filled alleyways I was used to, there were hundreds of huge skyscrapers towering over tens of thousand of people below. I felt so out of place. I missed home already.