‹ Prequel: Changing The Rules
Sequel: Going The Distance

Moving On Up

Angel

Charlene POV

Darkness surrounded me and all I could hear was my own deep, ragged breath. I had Lola cuddled into my chest but she was silent. There were footsteps and I spun around to see Nick now in front of me.

“I’ve come for you my love.” He spoke with a thick British accent and was acting very weirdly.

“I’m not your love.” I whispered, covering Lola with my other arm as Nick reached out to touch her.

“What are you talking about? Of course you’re my love.”

“No, I’m not. Mark is my love, not you.”

“Who are you trying to convince, because I’m not buying it.” He laughed cruelly and took a step closer. I whimpered and stepped back, my back hitting a wall. “Marks not here.”

“Where is he?”

“He’s gone. He’s realised he deserves someone much more than you.” He spat. “Mark’s gone and has no intention of ever returning to trash like you so get used to it. Loneliness is fast approaching Charlene.”


I gasped and jolted forward, breathing deeply and feeling tears in my eyes. Lola who was cuddled into Marks pillow was whining softly and staring up at me with wide eyes. A weak smile lifted my lips and I rubbed the soft fur on top of her tiny head, pulling her into my arms.

“That’s daddy’s space Lola.” I whispered, gently pulling her away. I set her down on her little bed in the corner of the room and quietly closed the door before walking downstairs where it was pitch black. I walked into the living room to see the lamp on. I could see Mark tossing around a little bit and walked around to see his eyes shut but his eyebrows knotted together. I knelt beside him and stroked his face, instantly calming him. His eyes slowly fluttered open and adjusted to the light coming from behind me.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to wake you.” I spoke softly.

“Its,” he paused and looked behind him. “2am.” His voice was croaky and the rings beneath his beautiful eyes told me he hadn’t slept well.

“I know baby.” I chuckled. “Please come back to bed.”

“But,” He shuffled and sat up, scratching the side of his head. “Aren’t you still mad at me?”

“No. I was annoyed you hadn’t asked, but I over reacted and I’m sorry. I love you too much to be angry at you.”

“I hate when we have a disagreement.” He smiled, standing from the couch.

“That’s why we never have them, because life’s too short and we love each other too much.” I grinned up at him. “They’re not worth it.”

He smiled and pressed his lips softly to mine. “Lets get back to bed, this couch has done my back in.”

I wrapped my arms around him and we flicked off the light before heading back to bed. I snuggled into his side once we were settled and he held me close, burying his face into my hair.

“I’m sorry for earlier, I should have asked.”

“No, I was a drama queen. I’ve been such a bitch lately.”

“You haven’t been a bitch, you’ve just seemed distracted.”

“The only thing I should be distracted by are your good looks Mr Taylor.” I grinned. “I’m sorry for how I’ve been acting. I don’t want to push you away, that’s the last thing I want.”

“Good.” He pressed his lips to my forehead and left them there as he spoke. “Because I never want you to push me away. I want to always be there for you, to hold your hand and experience everything with you.” I pulled my head back and brought his lips down to mine.

“I love you so much Mark Taylor.”

“I love you more than I can say Charlene Howard.”



“So do you think the guest room is clean enough?”

I laughed as Mark was panicking, just minutes before Nick was due to arrive. “Mark, it’s perfect. It’s cleaner than the Ritz.”

“Promise?”

“Promise.” I smiled. “You’re an amazing friend. I hope Nick appreciates what you’re doing for him.”

“I hope so, but I feel good helping him out and I’m so so thankful you’re ok with this now. Well, at least trying to be ok with it, it means a lot.”

“Anything for my man.” I grinned. “Oh I hear a car.” I walked over to the window to see a car pull up with a certain curly haired man inside. Everything would be ok. As long as Nick didn’t do anything stupid, this would be fine. Mark took my hand and we walked downstairs to the front door and went out to greet our new roomie.

“Nick.” Mark called. Nick smiled and left the suitcase and walked over to give Mark a hug.

“How are you doing man?” Nick patted his back and smiled before turning to me.

“Hey Nick.” I smiled softly and hugged him.

“Thank you for agreeing to this.” He whispered in my ear.

“I’ll do anything for Mark.” I whispered back and stepped away to see him watching me curiously. I felt Mark behind me, his arms wrapping around my front, his chin resting on my head.

“How was your flight?” He asked. Nick looked at us both, dragging his eyes up from Marks arms on my stomach and slowly up to my eyes. He stared at me before bringing his gaze up to Mark.

“Bumpy as hell. I was preparing myself for an emergency landing on the Atlantic to be honest.” He chuckled.

“Well did you want to take a nap now if you didn’t get much sleep? You can just settle in, take a tour of the city, whatever you’re up for.”

“Mark I really don’t want to inconvenience you two; I can just do my own thing.” He said sheepishly, running a hand through his curls.

“Nick, we wouldn’t have invited you if we didn’t want you here. How about, if you’re up for it, we all go out to dinner tonight, welcome you to the family lets say.” Mark grinned and pressed a kiss to my hairline.

Nick looked down at me, trying to figure out my feelings on the matter but I clearly wasn’t giving away anything.

“Only if you’re sure.” Nick said warily, not taking his eyes of mine.

“It will be fun. I’ll just get your bags, and Charlene, would you mind showing Nick to his room?”

“No, that’s fine.” I said quietly, feeling Mark press a kiss to my temple. I turned and walked towards the house, knowing Nick would be following.

“This is a beautiful house you have here.”

“Thank you, well its Mark’s house technically. It doesn’t have a killer view of New York like yours does though.” I laughed softly, turning to look down at him as we climbed the stairs but seeing him looking at the pictures lining the wall of the stairs. The pictures of me and Mark.

“Where were you in this one?” He pointed to one of Marks favourite pictures. Marks face was nuzzled into my neck and I was laughing, my arms wrapped tightly around his neck, but my eyes were clearly filled with love and devotion for him.

“Our friends wedding. It was held in Hawaii a few months back and it was so beautiful. Have you ever been to Hawaii?”

“No.” He said simply and looked up at me. I looked into his eyes before frowning slightly and continuing up the stairs and walking down the long corridor to Nick’s room. “Wow, this place is cleaner than most hotels the team stay in.”

I chuckled and smiled, remember Mark’s panic session. “Yeah, Mark ensured it was crystal clean.” I walked over to the window and glanced outside to see Mark speaking to one of the neighbours who was taking his baby out in a stroller. Mark was bent down admiring the adorable baby and said a comment that made the father laugh.

“He’s an amazing guy.”

I jumped when I realised Nick was now standing beside me, his shoulder touching mine. “Yeah, he is.” I whispered, smiling and continuing to watch Mark. I turned my attention to Nick who as expected was staring at me. “Are you tired?”

“Huh?” His nose crinkled, clearly confused at the sudden mood change. I reached up and ran my fingers softly under his eyes.

“You’ve got bags under your eyes.” My fingers brushed under his eyes and then travelled down to his cheek. “I think you should get some rest.” My voice was gentle and warm, wanting to ensure he didn’t get a cold vibe and think he was intruding on me and Mark, even if he actually was.

“I’m fine Charlene.” He smiled softly, tilting his head to the side in thought as I continued to hold my hand to his cheek.

“Nick, I know you and I know when you are in need of some sleep, so I am actually ordering you get some kip.”

“Ordering me hey?” He smirked, raising an eyebrow slowly.

“Don’t make me assert my female dominance.” I laughed, patting his chest and stepping back. Mark suddenly appeared with the bags, apologising for being so long.

“Tim and Julie did have a little baby boy and he is the cutest little man I have ever seen.” Mark grinned, setting Nicks bags in the corner and walking over to us. “So, what do you think?” His arms gestured to the room.

“Much more than I was expecting, your house is incredible.” Nick smiled at Mark who I linked my fingers with, softly rubbing his knuckles with my thumb.

“It’s a home.” Mark said softly, smiling lovingly at me. I smiled back and cuddled into his side where I always felt safe. “Anyway, me and Charlene are just going out for a bit so you can settle in and get some sleep if you want.”

“I think I’ll get some sleep actually since your girlfriend here seems pretty adamant on it and I’m kind of scared to say no.” Both men laughed, wearing big smiles on their handsome faces.

“Who could ever say no to that face?” Mark smiled and Nick laughed as I stood there pouting. Maybe this wouldn’t be so bad.



Ok, correction it was ‘so bad’. Two hours into dinner and they were still talking about American football.

“I get that, but their defence is lousy.” Mark said before taking a sip of his wine and replacing his hand on mine on the table in the local Italian restaurant.

“Lousy? Did you not catch their game last season in Miami, it was insane!”

“It was a total fluke; no chance of that ever happening again.” Mark laughed and Nick rolled his eyes in amusement.

“So…is there no chance we can change the topic?” I smiled innocently at them both. They turned to look at me as if they had only just noticed my presence.

“Sorry babe.” Mark kissed my temple and held his lips there before pressing another kiss and leaning back in his chair, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. When I looked up at Nick he was staring down at his plate of food, pushing his meal around with his fork, refusing to make eye contact.

“How was your meal Nick?” I asked, watching him slowly lift his head and raising his eyes finally to mine.

“Amazing.” His eyes flickered between me and Mark before reverting to placing his gaze on his plate where it remained for most of the meal.

After the meal we hit up the local designer shops where Nick practically ran into Ralph Lauren with Mark hot on his tail. Nick must have taken about 14 different shirts to try on. It took Mark a total of 5 minutes to try on and purchase a shirt. An hour later and Nick was still deciding on his. He was such a woman when it came to shopping.

I sat with my legs draped over Marks as we sat and waited outside the changing rooms.

“He’s always been a slow shopper.” I chuckled at the memory of our shopping trip for his prom suit. I had said back then what a memorable moment it was, and all of these years later I was right.

“How do you know?” Mark jerked his head back and frowned, tilting his head to one side.

“What?” I shook myself from my daze and wondered why he was so alert.

“You said he’s always been a slow shopper, yet you’ve only just met him so how do you know?”

Shit.

“Urm, I err…”

“Ok, what do you guys think of this?” Nick was now in front of us in a dark navy blue shirt which made him look incredibly handsome, though making Nick look handsome was not very hard.

“Really nice…just like all the other ones.” Mark chuckled. “I prefer it to the lighter blue though, what do you think babe?”

“Oh, urm yes, yes, what Mark said.” I frowned, my heart still racing from my major cock up.

“Looks like this along with 8 others, is the one.” Nick smiled and walked back into the changing rooms.

For the entire journey home I stared out of the window, swamped with my own thoughts and not even realising it when we had finally arrived. Nick climbed out of the car whereas Mark leant over and turned my head gently to face him.

“Honey, what’s wrong?” He said quietly, smoothing his thumb down my cheek whilst his deep eyes penetrated into my own.

“Nothing, I’m fine.” I sent him a reassuring smile and moved away but his took a hold of my hand.

“I love you Charlene and I want you to be able to talk to me and to tell me everything.”

I looked longingly into his eyes and brought my hand up to his soft hair, tangling my fingers there.

“I’ve just got a lot on my mind, what with university and all. It just all gets too much sometimes.”

He looked at me like he knew there was more to the story since he knew me far too well, yet this also meant that he knew when to back off.

“Ok.” He pressed a kiss to my forehead and traced kisses down to my lips. “I just want you to be happy; that is all I want.”

“I am happy. I’m happy because I have you.”

We walked inside hand in hand, walking in a comfortable silence through to the kitchen where Mark boiled the kettle.

I stood on my tiptoes and wrapped my arms around his neck, pressing soft pecks to Marks lips. “I love you Marky Boo.”

“I love you too; even if you have really cheesy nicknames.” He laughed and held his lips to mine for slightly longer, my grip on his shirt forever tightening. The kettle finally boiled and I jumped as it emitted a loud ‘beep’. Mark chuckled and rubbed my hair before pouring out some tea.

“Here, could you take this up to Nick please? He’s in his room.” Mark handed me a mug of tea and two biscuits. “You’re an angel.” He said and smiled, pressing a gentle kiss to my lips and patting my behind as I walked away. I carefully carried his drink upstairs, knocking lightly on Nick’s door.

“Come in.”

I walked inside to see Nick sitting on the window ledge with his laptop in front of him. “Lene lene lene.” Nick sang as I entered the room.

“Do you want me to call you ‘ick’?” I laughed, handing him his drink and biscuits.

“No, I’ll pass on that one thanks.” He grinned, taking a bite of one of his biscuits. “Take a seat madam.” He pointed to the ended of the window ledge, just by his feet. I smiled and sat down, watching him take a sip of his drink and then gulp it down, his Adam’s apple more prominent than I ever remembered.

“Well, how about that changing room awkwardness earlier huh?”

“I know! You don’t need that many shirts Nick.” I laughed yet he raised an eyebrow and one side of his mouth lifted.

“That’s not the drama I was on about.”

I froze and looked into his knowing eyes. He’d heard Mark and I’s conversation. “You heard?”

“Why else do you think I arrived at such an amazing time.” He had another sip of his tea and watched me over the top of the mug. “Charlene, you’ve never been a good liar so I needed to come in and save the day.” He smirked.

“Always have to be a hero.” I chuckled and smoothed my hands down the soft material of the window seat which was covered with beautiful cushions.

“Are you ever going to tell him?”

“I know it will come out some day, whether it be by accident because of my bloody stupidity like today, or intentionally. He’s a smart man, he’ll eventually figure it out.”

“Well why don’t you tell him now?”

I sighed and looked back up at him, his eyes all dark and meaningful. “I feel like I’m in too deep. No offence, but you guys getting along so well doesn’t help.” I chuckled. “But I’m glad you do. But Nick, I’m scared for you.”

He placed his laptop on the floor and scooted over to me. “What do you mean? Scared of what? I’m fine.”

“Nick, give me a little credit; I mean we were once engaged, I know when you’re faking. You’ve clearly gotten better since I last saw you, but I’m so scared about how deep your thoughts could run if you’re alone for too long; if your pills become your best friends. I don’t want Mark finding out about our past because you will most likely be asked to leave here and I’m just worried he wouldn’t want you to see me anymore. He has every right to do that, I mean I’m sure we both would if we were in his shoes, but I know how fragile you are beneath this front and I want to be there for you.”

He linked his arm around my shoulders and moved closer but without saying a word. I reached up and touched his cheek, smiling weakly at him. “I still care for you Nick and you know I always have and always will. I’m here for you, regardless of what happens.” He placed his hand on mine which remained on his soft cheek, making me just want to cuddle up to him and absorb his warmth. When I looked into his eyes I was reminded of all the memories we made together, both the good and the bad. He would always hold a special part of my heart; I just hoped he truly knew that. His gaze was hot and intense, mixed with so many emotions that I was sure meant he was thinking about all of our memories as well.

My eyes flickered between his own and his body which was slowly moving forward until his forehead was rested on mine “You’re an angel Charlene.” He whispered, his eyes slowly closing. “You’re my angel.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Howl - Florence and the Machine

Ok, so this took a while to get up but I have a proposition, the next chapter is already written and ready to go; so as soon as I get, lets say 20 comments, it will be posted. The next chapter will for sure change things between Narlene...