‹ Prequel: Changing The Rules
Sequel: Going The Distance

Moving On Up

New Romeo

“Charlene, you look beautiful trust me.” Olivia smiled at me through the reflection of my mirror. I sighed and stared at my appearance not completely satisfied.

“It’s just been a while since I’ve been on a date. I can’t even really remember what this guy looked like.”

“That’s because he was wearing a bloody blockbuster uniform.” She laughed. “Just go for the fun of it.”

“I guess. Man I need to date more, it’s literally been years.”

“Well Charlene it was your choice to knock all those guys back. I mean you could have your pick of anyone.”

I looked down and stared at the ground, knowing just this short conversation had changed everything. I was determined to find a new love. Olivia walked over to me and picked up my hand. I felt something cold and raised my eyes to look at the new addition to my wrist.

“It’s my lucky charm bracelet.” She smiled, holding my hand in hers. “Now go and have fun.”

I hugged and thanked her, picking my coat up and wrapping my scarf around my neck tightly. I stepped out of the block of apartments and hailed a taxi to take me to the restaurant which was one I had never heard of. I thanked the driver and tipped him generously before braving the cold. The restaurant was not what I had in mind. It was a relaxed and relatively quiet blues bar with entrancing, soulful singers performing. It was perfect. I walked further in and then realised I had no clue what this guy looked like again. There were only a few people here and it seemed like such a lovely place that I was surprised so little people had heard of it. I stopped dead in my tracks when I spotted a drop dead gorgeous man sitting in one of the booths, listening to the music and softly strumming his hands on the table. He was truly stunning. As if he knew I was there he turned and looked my way and then did a double take. I took in a quick breath as he continued to stare at me. I thought he was looking at someone behind me so I turned to see I was alone before turning back to see him chuckling. He opened his arms and pointed to his empty booth. I smiled and walked over to him, surprised as he stood and shook my hand like a true gentleman

“Hi.” I smiled, admiring how much more beautiful he was up close. “Can I sit here?”

“That’s what I was hoping for.” He smiled back before sitting back down. “Let me get you a drink.”

“Oh, no it’s fine I can pay.”

“Can’t a gentleman buy a pretty lady a drink?” I blushed and he grinned, calling over the waiter.

“I’ll just have a glass of white whine please.”

“The best you have.” The man added.

“Thank you so much.”

“My pleasure.” He smiled, taking a sip of his wine and looking up at me. Did I mention he was gorgeous?

“I’ve never seen you here before.” He said as his amazing eyes bore into mine.

“That’s because I’ve never been here. It’s my first time. Why, do you come here often?”

“Yeah, it’s like a nice relaxation and sanctuary from everything. It never gets crowded in here so you are able to just rest and spend some time with your thoughts. Plus the music isn’t half bad. How did you hear of it?”

“Well, I’m supposed to be on a kind of date here at the City Blue.”

“City Blue?” He questioned and I nodded. “That’s a nightclub on the other side of town. It’s really trashy if you ask me. What would a beautiful lady like you be doing there of all places?”

“I kind of agreed to go on a date with this guy I didn’t really know because my friends were egging me on a bit.” I chuckled, remembering Olivia’s insistence. “So what’s this place called?”

“The City of Blues, as in blues music.” He smiled as I groaned and ran my fingers through my hair at how the taxi driver how taken me to the wrong place. I can’t believe I tipped that idiot, then again it’s an easy mistake to make.

“Do you want me to call you a cab or something?” He asked.

“Urm.” I paused and thought. Would I rather be in a sleazy club with a random blockbuster worker, or in this amazing blues bar with this God like man? The choice wasn’t hard. “Would you mind if I stuck around here?”

“I was hoping you’d say that.”

My drink came and I thanked the man and settled into my seat, sneaking glances at this mysterious man.

“I’m sorry; I didn’t catch your name.” He said abruptly.

“That’s because I didn’t give it; it’s Charlene.”

“Mark.” He smiled, holding out his hand for me to shake again which I smiled and shook. “So I assume that apart from this guy there is no special man in your life?” He bit his lip as he spoke.

“Your assumption would deem correct.” I grinned. “And yourself?”

“Guy? Nope.”

“You know what I mean.” I rolled my eyes and he laughed.

“Nope. No girlfriend and certainly no boyfriend.” He let out another deep laugh which was amazingly attractive. He had short brown hair which looked so soft I wanted to reach over and run my fingers through it. He was quite tanned and must have had some Italian blood in him which was always good. But his eyes were what got me. They were a deep blue that were so piercing they were enough to hypnotise you and they certainly worked on me.

“Not meaning to sound rude, but why did you accept a date with this loser you speak of?”

“He’s not a loser.” I chuckled and he raised an eyebrow. “Ok, well maybe.” We both laughed. “My friend was pushing me into it and I haven’t been on the dating scene for a while so I just went for it.”

“It’s just I would have thought a beautiful woman like you could have any man she wanted.” I blushed and looked down before slowly looking up to see him smiling.

“Well why are you single? Surely you have all the ladies throwing themselves at you.”

“None as stunning as you.” He spoke so softly and almost, velvety. He wasn’t sleazy in the slightest and I already felt I could trust him despite how long I had known him. We spend a good three hours just talking and getting to know each other before the bar closed and we were forced to leave. I had found out his name was Mark Taylor, he was 23 years old so 2 years older than me and he ran his own company with his father selling sporting goods. He mentioned the name and I didn’t want to gasp when I realised how well known the brand was and obviously how successful he must be.

He offered to drive me back home which I accepted. Most 23 year old guys had filthy cars but his silver Mercedes was spotless and smelt amazing which was something I found quite amusing.

“I really want to see you again Charlene.” He said gently as we pulled up to my apartment.

“I want to see you too.” I whispered, not wanting to leave him which was unusual since I never got attached to people.

“Is this Friday ok, or would another time suit you?”

“Friday sounds perfect.” I said and he smiled warmly and I felt my heart skip a beat. “You have an amazing smile.” He blushed and went a deep red and I smiled, feeling victorious.

“You know, no other girl has ever made me blush before.” He laughed quietly.

“Well I’m not like other girls.” I slowly leant forward and pressed a soft kiss to his cheek. “Thank you for the ride, I’ll see you on Friday.” I slid out of the car and shut the door, pulling out my keys and walking in. As soon as I shut the door I let out a loud sigh of happiness and couldn’t help but smile widely. I skipped towards the elevator and was still smiling as I got to my floor and walked into the apartment.

“Hey, how was your date?” Greg called from the couch. I skipped into the kitchen and poured myself a glass of water. “Charlene?” I skipped back into the living room to see them all looking at me.

“Amazing.” I breathed.

“Blockbuster boy that good eh?” Tim smiled.

“Oh no, I didn’t meet up with him.” They all raised their eyebrows. “I went to the wrong place and met this amazing guy instead.” I flopped down on the couch and let out a happy sigh, smiling stupidly.

“Was he really that amazing?” Olivia asked, coming to sit next to me. I nodded and bit my lip, bringing out my phone which had a picture of him for his caller ID.

“Holy shit.” She gasped, snatching the phone. “Men this hot don’t exist.”

“I know.” I squealed.

“Give it here, I’m sure he’s not-” Greg stopped when he and Tim saw the picture. “Ok, maybe he is quite good looking.” He said, not wanting to sound like a girl squealing about how hot he looked.

“He is way more than that.” I smiled, taking the phone back. Olivia and I looked at the picture again and sighed. Both of the guys rolled their eyes at our typical female behaviour. My phone vibrated in my hand and I almost dropped it since Olivia and I were so absorbed in this picture.

Mark
I’m counting down to Friday x

“Aww.” Olivia and I both said out loud.

“I hate you.” Olivia said playfully, pushing my shoulder lightly. I stood and smiled at them all.

“Well I am off to bed my good fellows, to dream of a certain someone. Goodnight all.” I skipped over to my bedroom, hearing them all laughing at how love struck I was acting. I quickly got changed and climbed into bed, texting Mark back.

Me too x

Only 30 seconds later he had replied.

Is it crazy that I already miss you and we only just met? x

I blushed and thanked God he wasn’t here to see me. I bit down on my bottom lip as I replied, smiling stupidly wide.

I hope not, because I feel exactly the same way. x

For the first time in a long while, I did not think of Nick once during the entire night and I found hope in that. It was way over due that I moved on. Maybe Juliet can find her true Romeo. And maybe, just maybe his name could be Mark.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok, this could be my last update for a while because of my holidays so I hope this quenches your thirst.

So I'm sure Mark has thrown a spanner in the works for all of the Narlene lovers. And no, he is not a 'weirdo' or anything because I know that is probably what alot of you are hoping for so that he doesn't rival Nick. Sorry lol.

Comments
=)