‹ Prequel: Changing The Rules
Sequel: Going The Distance

Moving On Up

Everything can change in a New York minute

6 months later

As expected, Mark and I had grown insanely close and now relied on each other probably too much but neither of us complained. It was clear to everyone around us that we were hopelessly in love with each other, wearing frowns when we were apart but smiling like Cheshire cats when we were together. He would text me in the middle of meetings, telling me how much he missed me and I would squeal with happiness every single time.

I could not remember being this happy in a long, long time.

There was a knock at my bedroom door and I grunted but didn’t look away from my books that I was taking notes from.

“You want to jump into those books?” Mark laughed when he saw how close my face was to them; in fact I wouldn’t have been surprised if I received a paper cut to my nose. I spun around in my chair and smiled at him, his face always brightening up my day.

“Baby.” I smiled, standing and walking over to him. We wrapped our arms around each other and I smiled up at him, grinning as he flicked my nose. “I thought you had a meeting until 5.”

“I did, but we got through it quickly and I was desperate to get out and come to be with you.” He lowered his lips to mine, instantly causing butterflies to erupt in my stomach. I held onto the collar of his shirt, pulling myself onto my tiptoes to kiss him more firmly.

“You always look so handsome in your business suits.” I grinned, smoothing my hands down his crisp blue shirt and feeling his rock hard abs beneath the thin material. “Aren’t you hot though?” I asked since it was mid June and he was wearing so many layers which the air conditioning did little to relieve.

“Yeah, but if you find me more attractive like this then I’ll stay put.” He smirked, squeezing my bum. I laughed and took his blazer from his body and hung it carefully over my chair before walking back into his arms.

“I always find you attractive. Your personality alone stops people in their tracks; cheesey but true. So, what are we doing tonight?”

“It’s up to you. We can stay here, or go to mine or dinner. Your call my lady.”

“Can we just stay here then tonight?” He nodded and kissed my nose which he knew always made me go all giggly and gooey inside. He lifted me up into his arms and carried me over to my bed, slowly lowering me down and climbing on next to me. We lay facing each other, my leg hoisted up around his waist to bring us closer as we continued to just lie and smile at each other.

“It will be so much easier when you move in.” He sighed, running his fingers down my arm.

“I know. I have one more week until my finals are over. After that I’m all yours and I can move out of here.”

“I can’t wait. There will be nothing better than waking up every morning to your gorgeous face.” He grinned.

“Do you enjoy making me blush?” I laughed, gently hitting his chest. He laughed loudly and held me closer. “Besides we wake up next to each other most mornings.”

“I know, but it will be nice knowing that we live together; that we share the same home you know? Like it’s official. Does that make any sense or am I stupid for looking forward to that?”

“No, you’re not stupid; just insanely sweet.” I smiled, pressing a soft kiss to his lips. “Anyway, I want to know about your day.”

“Meeting after meeting. I was in a daydream most of the time, since some special lady won’t leave my thoughts.” He grinned, winking at me and causing a girly giggle to leave my lips. I hated that he could make me do that. His eyes suddenly opened widely with excited and he bounced his head repeatedly off my pillow like an excited child, desperate to tell a story. “I have some news you may be happy about.” He paused and I nodded, telling him to continue, still laughing at how hyper his news seemed to make him. “Well since our brand has gone global, we’ve just signed a deal with the New York Giants football team.”

“No way.”

“Yeah.” He smiled and I squealed, wrapping my arms tightly around him and repeatedly kissing his lips. I knew how much that deal meant to him and he had been working so hard to secure it that I really was over the moon for him.

“That’s great.” I smiled, wondering how I got someone this special. “I’m so proud of you. That really is amazing news.”

“I know.” He couldn’t stop smiling. “So next week I have to go over to New York to meet with all the players because I know they’ll have loads of questions about all of the properties of the new kit and what not.”

“That’s good.” I said quietly, though I couldn’t hide how sad I was he was leaving. I looked away from him and drew shapes on his chest, my eyes transfixed on them.

“Baby.” He said softly. I shook my head and smiled weakly up at him, still trailing my finger over his shirt.

“I’m fine, really. It’s a great opportunity for you.” I nodded, looking from his eyes again.

“Look at me.” He whispered, gently pulling my chin upwards until he could see my eyes. “I pulled a few strings and you’re allowed to come with me.”

“Really?” He nodded. “For real?” I breathed and he smiled. “But, what about my exams?”

“We leave on the Friday night so just after all of your exams. There was no way I was going without you.”

“You’re incredible Mark, you really are.” I sighed happily, kissing him softly. “Thank you so so much. I haven’t been to New York for years.”

“I know and you can meet up with your friends that live out there.” He said, referring to Henry and Sara. I squealed and clapped my hands, completing forgetting about that. I hadn’t seen them in almost a year since they were last over here. “I’ve also booked flights to Chicago so we can visit your parents. I rang ahead and they are so excited for you to come and visit.”

My parents were in love with Mark before they even met him, what with my amazing stories about my time with him. My dad was forever saying that he could be ‘the one’ and that I should make sure he doesn’t get away, but I had no intention of allowing him to leave my life now that I had found him.

“You. Are. Too. Perfect.” I pecked his lips between each word.

“I love you so much Charlene.” He smiled stroking my face with his soft fingers. I smiled and leant into his hand.

“I love you too.” I let out a sigh of happiness and cuddled into his arms.



Mark picked me up after my final exam had finished and instead of going to a regular celebration party, I was off to New York with the boyfriend I was crazy in love with and going to visit my best friends and family. Life was good.

We reached the check in desk and handed over our boarding cards, waiting as she tapped into her computer over and over again. Mark laid his head on my shoulder and pressed a kiss to my neck softly, bringing a delicate smile to my lips. I turned and caught his lips with mine before slowly pulling back.

“Honeymoon?” The woman smiled at us.

I shot my eyes up to Mark who also looked alarmed but soon regained his cool. “Not yet, it’s just a business trip.”

“Could have fooled me.” She smiled again at us and handed over our boarding passes, wishing us a good flight.

“Not yet?” I asked as we headed towards security.

“All I’m saying is that the future looks very good for us.”

“Do you have a crystal ball or something telling you all this?” I smiled up at him, squeezing his hand.

“Nope, just faith. Faith that I will be able to hold onto the best thing in my life; you.”

“I love you so much.” I whispered, pressing a kiss to his cheek.

“Not half as much as I love you Miss Howard.” Before I could protest he took my lips with his, giving me a strong kiss that left me breathless. He smirked when he saw how blown away I looked, clutching onto his hand as if I might faint. “I guess it’s a good thing we’re not on a honeymoon, since you couldn’t handle how I would make you feel if you thought that was something.”

“Excuse me; you were the one screaming in bed last night in pleasure. I, on the other hand, can control myself…most of the time.” I said once I had recovered from his kiss that he seemed quite pleased about.

He looked at me in amusement and I saw a memory flash in his mind but just before he was about to mention our bedroom antics he noticed a little boy standing behind me so kept his mouth shut. He simply shook his head and took me in a huge hug as he waited in the long queues for security. New York, here we come.



“Ahhhh!” Sara and I screamed at the same time, embracing each other and beginning to cry with happiness.

“Ok, my turn.” Henry pulled Sara off of me and took me in a huge hug, spinning me around. I laughed happily and smiled widely when he set me back down again.

“So…you must be the famous Mark?” Sara grinned. Mark nodded and shook her hand, smiling at both of them.

“The comedy duo that must be Henry and Sara. I’ve heard a lot about you two.” Mark smiled warmly, wrapping his arm around my shoulder to bring me closer. I wrapped an arm around his waist and smiled at Sara and Henry who were watching how close we were. They hadn’t seen me with another man since Nick and I think it was a relief for them to see I had moved on to better things.

“Probably not as much as we’ve heard about you. It’s always, Mark this and Mark that.” Henry grinned at me. I blushed when they all looked at me and I cuddled into Marks arms as if they could shield me from embarrassment.

“What? He’s amazing.” I mumbled as Mark took me into his chest and rocked me back and forth with a huge smile on his lips. I smiled warmly and lay my cheek on his chest, looking at Sara and Henry who were smiling genuinely at me.

“Well shall we get going into the city that is NYC?” Henry clapped his hands, indicating our luggage. I went to pick up my suitcase but Mark beat me to it, brushing my hands away and picking it up himself. He briefly kissed my lips before pressing another kiss to my forehead, leaning over to pick up his own suitcase but Henry got it for him.

For the ride into the city, I sat in the back with Sara whereas Mark and Henry sat in the front, Henry fascinated by Mark’s job. It felt amazing to be able to catch up in person; phone calls just don’t do the real thing justice.

“Babe, do you want the air con on?” Henry asked Sara. I smiled, still amazed that they were together after 4 years of dating and very much in love.

“Just a little.” Henry nodded and flicked a switch. “Thank you honey.”

Sara turned and looked at me, wondering why I was smiling so widely. “What? Is there something on my face?”

“No, you guys are just so cute.” She rolled her eyes and laughed. “Man I’ve missed you.”



“Sweetie are you almost ready?” Mark called from the main room of our hotel suite. Having already spent 2 days hitting up the amazing shops, tonight we were having the business dinner with all of the players of the New York Giants. Mark had already met all of the players during the day whilst I hung out with Sara and Henry so he already knew which were the assholes of the bunch.

“One second.” I called back, putting in my diamond earrings that Mark had bought me for our 6 month dating anniversary. He was too perfect.

I walked back into the main room, searching for my shoes. “Wow.” Was all Mark said. I looked up at him and smiled.

“You like?” I asked, smoothing down my dress.

“I love. You look stunning; as always.”

I grinned and let out a sigh of relief when I located my shoes wedged behind the couch for some reason. “Ugh, my bag.” I groaned. How come everything seems to go missing when you need it most?

I stood up and sighed, putting my hands on my hips and pouting. I broke out into a grin when I saw Mark holding my bag. He laughed and handed it over to me, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. With my heels I was a lot taller and it felt weird being able to look into Marks eyes without straining my neck. I mean, I was pretty tall but no where near his 6”4’.

“I like the view up here.” I said with amusement, lifting my mouth into a half smile.

Mark laughed loudly as we walked to the door and continued laughing even once we were in the elevator. He had one of those laughs that was insanely contagious and I could see the gentlemen in the lift with us trying not to laugh along even though he had no clue why Mark was laughing.

“Are you already drunk or something?” I asked with a playful tone as we stepped into the already waiting car.

“On love yes.” He flashed a boyish smile.

“Geez, you are something, I’ll give you that.”

I was expecting to just be going to a regular restaurant, perhaps with a private room for all of the players but what I got was the complete opposite. We arrived at a huge glass building which looked magnificent to say the least. Mark opened my door and took my arm in his, keeping quiet whilst I had my ‘moment’.

“Wow.” I whispered. We stepped onto the elevator in the main lobby which was also all glass, allowing us to see the entire building as we accelerated upwards. I stepped out into the most beautiful ballroom which had a large table that spread from one end of the room to the other, placed in the middle. There was a band playing in the corner of the room and the waiters were all set and ready to go. True movie moment.

“It’s nice huh?”

“Nice? It’s amazing.” I turned slowly on the spot, still in absolute awe. I walked over to the doors that opened to the huge balcony, which came complete with a fountain and a gorgeous view of the New York skyline.

“Come on, some people are already arriving.” I laced my fingers through Marks and walked over to the entrance of the room where Mark would have to greet every single person that entered; this being over 60…joy.



“Is that everyone?” I whispered 30 minutes later, my rumbling stomach telling him how much I wanted to just sit down and eat.

“Urm…” He looked over my head at the table to check for spare seats. “No, there’s two more people.” He sighed and stroked my face. “I’m sorry you have to be here tonight, rather than with your friends.”

“I wanted to be here. I mean, I came to New York to be with you for this dinner. As long as I’m with you then I’m happy and with you looking as handsome as ever, it’s nice for a girl to have some eye candy.” I grinned. “It keeps my eyes on you, rather than the players.”

“Oh, I see. Someone caught your eye have they?” He puffed out his chest, raising an eyebrow.

“Only you.” I smiled, my toes curling in my heels - which was quite painful - as he lowered his lips to mine. I whimpered when Mark pulled away, having heard the ding of the elevator behind us. He rubbed his thumb over my hand as he watched the couple approaching us. I was too busy staring out of the window at the beautiful scenery to take note of who they were. Either way, these were American football players how was I supposed to know who they were! That sport doesn’t even exist in England!

“Mark, my man!” The man called as they got closer. Mark laughed and pulled his hand from mine, taking a step and hugging the stranger who he obviously knew from earlier events. I smiled at the blonde girl who was clearly the girlfriend and she smiled genuinely back. She was the first girlfriend I had met that wasn’t false and didn’t seem like a bitch. She was wearing a gorgeous dress that was the first of the evening that was no slutty. Her long blonde hair was a beautiful shade and fell gracefully as if she had just stepped out of a shampoo commercial. She was most guys idea of heaven. I glanced up at Mark to see the face of his friend, who was staring at me.

I did a double take and found myself staring back. His eyes were piercing through my soul, taking in everything they could see. His eyes bouncing back and forth as if a masterpiece were in front of him.

The hair, the eyes, the small mole on his cheek. The way his right eyebrow was slightly higher than the left. The tiny freckle on the side of his nose. It was him.

Mark stepped back and wrapped his arm around me, giving my shoulder a slight squeeze.

“This beautiful lady is my girlfriend Charlene. Charlene, meet Nick Jonas and his lovely girlfriend Katie.”
♠ ♠ ♠
yay!! I attempted to upload this chapter over a month ago, to find I was banned. But yes yes yes, Im finally back!! Wooooo!! I have 4 new chapters to upload. Yes!!! Comment with how much you missed me :D