‹ Prequel: Changing The Rules
Sequel: Going The Distance

Moving On Up

Perfect

Charlene POV

Oh my God.

Oh my freaking God.

I was shaken from my thoughts when Katie hugged me tightly, her mango shampoo smothering my senses. “It’s nice to meet you.” She smiled, stepping back. “I absolutely love your dress.”

“Oh, urm.” I looked down at myself and then looked back at Katie, trying to pull myself together. “Thank you. I was about to say how beautiful yours looks.”

“Aww, thank you so much. I spent like a month’s wages on this thing; teaching doesn’t pay very well.” She chuckled.

It went quiet and I slowly turned my gaze to Nick who was still staring at me, his eyebrows furrowed slightly as if he were trying to figure me out. Katie nudged his ribs, muttering his name, telling him to be polite.

He slowly raked his eyes up my body before settling his eyes on mine.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you Charlene.” He put out his hand for me to take. My eyes flickered between his hand and his eyes, realising this was how he was going to play it. He knew it was me, and I certainly knew it was him. But this is how he wanted to play it. I couldn’t decide if I was hurt or not. I was just…numb.

“Yeah…you too.” I slipped my hand into his and managed to hold back my gasp as an electric current shot up my arm and I wondered if Nick felt the same thing. I slowly pulled my hand back from his, noticing his thumb graze over my ring finger as we pulled away from the contact.

His arm dropped to his side but he continued to stare at me.

“Ok, well shall we go and get seated.” Mark clapped his hands together and I jumped slightly, startled from the loud noise that broke me from my daydream. “You two are seated just next to Greg.” Mark pointed to the huge player at the far end. Nick nodded and looked over at me for longer than necessary, a longing in his eyes before walking away.

“It’s been great meeting you.” Katie smiled at me before quickly following Nick who hadn’t even waited for her.

“Let’s fill that appetite of yours.” Mark chuckled, slipping his arm around my waist and leading us to our seats on the huge table.

I laughed at a joke one of the players told me and as I threw my head back laughing and my eyes somehow caught Nicks. He was taking a sip of his drink, his eyes watching me over the top of his glass. I cleared my throat, my smile slowly fading. Nick gradually pulled the glass from his lips and placed it on the table, yet he was still watching me. It felt like we were the only two people in the room; that was before Mark broke my thoughts.

“Helloooo….Charlene, you still with us?” He placed his hand over mine and rubbed it softly.

I stared at Mark, quickly recovering and plastering on a smile. “Got lost in a little daydream there.” I chuckled and so did the few people around us. I discreetly look over at Nick and he was still freaking watching me! He must have known how uncomfortable he was making me but that didn’t deter him. It wasn’t his watching me that bugged me, it was the fact that I knew he was judging me. He was judging me without even knowing me. That was how it was. We would have both changed so much over the years that we didn’t even know each other anymore and I didn’t know if I should be sad or relieved about that.

“Babe, where’s the bathroom?” I asked, needing to get away from Nicks judging eyes.

“Just down that corridor over there.” Mark pointed behind me. “Are you ok? You look a little flushed.” He placed both of his hands on mine, worry evident in his face.

“I’m just a little hot. I’ll ask if they can turn the air conditioning on a little bit more.” I smiled. Mark nodded and squeezed my hand, letting go as I stood from the table. I looked over my shoulder and saw him smiling at me with such a strong look of love in his eyes. He winked and I blushed, turning my back to him and walking down the corridor to the bathroom.

I leant over the sink and let out deep breaths, trying to steady myself. This could not be happening. Nick could not be here. I splashed some water on my face to cool me down but it didn’t help at all. It must be a dream; this can’t be happening. The door opened to the bathroom and in steps Katie. Nope, this wasn’t a dream.

“Hi” She smiled, stepping next to me and pulling out a small bag with some pills in it. Nicks girlfriend was a drug addict. “Don’t worry; they are just for a headache.” She chuckled and I let out a shaky chuckle, realising she must have sensed me judging her. Typical, just when I thought I had found one flaw in Nicks girlfriend, but no; she really was perfect. “Since I work with kids, all I hear is screaming and shouting all day long and it always gets to be this time of night.” She said, gulping down her pill.

“Wow, teachers don’t get enough credit.” I laughed. “It must be awful having to always take tablets. I hate tablets with a passion.”

“I always thought I had it bad as well but Nick, my boyfriend,” Oh yes, as if I could forget “has it much worse. He has to take about 14 pills a day. It’s insane and that is both morning and night.”

I frowned and played her words back in my mind. Why was Nick on medication? He never used to have to take anything. “Why does he have to take so many pills?”

“Oh, forget I said anything. He won’t want me blabbing about it. It’s just that I’m so open when it comes to him.” She sighed happily, her eyes turning all warm and soft. “I love him so much and his parent’s say he is the happiest he has ever been and they say it’s all down to me.” She blushed. “Sorry, I’m rambling.”

“No no, I find it interesting. So what is your relationship like?”

“Amazing. He is the best boyfriend I could ask for. We’re so close and depend on each other for so much. Apparently I’m the first girlfriend he has ever had.”

My throat began to clog and I could feel my eyes beginning to burn as tears started to form. “Really?” I croaked, coughing to clear my burning throat.

“Yeah, his parents tell me all the time and so does Nick. He’s always saying I’m his first girlfriend and how special I am to him. He knows how to make a girl blush.”

True, but he also knows how to make a girl feel worthless; by pretending the love you shared never existed. Bastard. The tears in my eyes had gone and now I was angry. I wasn’t upset about what he had said to Katie, I was angry he had lied to not only her, but himself. And the fact his parents also erased me didn’t soothe me. They were all pretending I had never happened, like I had never existed and that hurt; a lot.

“You must be an incredible girl then.” I smiled, putting on a layer of lip gloss before slipping it back into my bag.

“I don’t even know how I got someone as amazing as him. I’m sure you feel the same way about Mark. Do you ever just sit back and think; wow I must have done something right?”

I smiled at the thought of Mark, all of the little quirks he had that just made him…well, Mark. “Yeah I do. He’s everything a girl could want in a man and more.”

“Gosh, listen to us, all sappy in love.” She giggled. “We should totally go on a double date!”

“Ha-ha, what?” I laughed awkwardly, itching the side of my neck as it suddenly felt even hotter than before. I really should tell the staff how to work their darn air conditioning.

“It would be so good! You and Mark, me and Nick. I mean they are already good friends and we seem to get a long good and I would love to get to know you some more. Oh, what do you say?”

“Well Mark and I are flying back to England in a few weeks and we’re very busy.”

“Oh of course, I forgot this was a business trip. I just thought it would be nice.” She smiled and nodded her head, looking back into her purse. “Nicks not one for going out to dinner. He prefers just staying at home and cuddling in bed.” She giggled again. “And it would be an excuse to get him out of the house.”

The thought of them in bed together made me physically sick and it took all my strength not to run into one of the cubicles and bring up all the food I had been indulging in all night. “I’ll have to ask Mark.” I smiled. “I’ll see you back in there.” I patted her arm and walked past, cursing myself for not just saying no, but something in her eye made me feel sorry for her. As if, she didn’t get out much or something. Mind you, judging by the girlfriends of the other players, I too would have opted for a night in. Whatever it was, there was something there that made me like her. She was like an innocent, lost sheep that you just wanted to take under your wing but it seemed like not only had Nick done that, but he had taken her into his heart as well as his bed.

I sat back at the table and Mark smiled, holding my hand in his large, warm one again. “You ok?”

“Amazing.” I smiled, leaning over and pressing a kiss to his lips. He smiled lovingly at me and intertwined his feet with mine under the table before we got involved in another conversation and for the first time of the evening, I began to enjoy myself.



“It was great meeting you, thanks for coming.” Mark shook the player’s hands as we said farewell to all of the players. “Ha-ha, look who it is. Last one in, last one out.” Mark chuckled as Nick and Katie walked over.

Nick smiled and hugged Mark, eyeing me the whole time like a piece of meat. I rolled my eyes and looked the other way. Nick looked at me as he stepped back and I knew I had to say something.

“It was nice meeting you.” I said, not smiling at all.

“Oh, you two didn’t get to speak at all!” Katie piped in. “Mark, I was speaking to Charlene earlier and whilst you two are still in New York, would you like to perhaps go on a double date with me and Nick?”

“What?” Nick spoke up for the first time, his eyes wild and jumping around.

“That sounds great.” Mark smiled, squeezing my shoulder. “I’m sure you and Charlene here will get along nicely, like life long friends. And babe,” Mark was now looking down on me, his arm still affectionately draped over my shoulder. “You have to get to know Nick some more, he is the funniest man you will ever meet. I swear, it will feel like you’ve known each other for years.”

Wow, irony at its best.

I turned to Nick to see Katie now cuddled into his side and smiling warmly but he was just staring at me and Mark. “I look forward to it.” I smiled fakely at Nick, hating the situation I had been put in.

“Oh this is so exciting.” Katie squealed.

“Exciting, yes.” Nick said dryly. “Mark, how about you text me when you are free and we’ll arrange something. You’re here for a good few weeks so we can probably fit a few in.” Bastard, he knew I hated this situation.

“Sounds good man.”

“I know some amazing Thai restaurants.”

“Perfect, that’s Charlene favourite.” Mark grinned, kissing my forehead.

“Oh is it really? What an amazing coincidence.” Nick said, raising an eyebrow. Bastard!

“Right, I think its time we get going Mark.” I said, placing my hand on his chest, my eyes begging him to let me leave. He nodded and I knew he got my desperate message; he was good like that.

“I agree, this one here needs her beauty sleep.” Nick grinned, nudging Katie. She scoffed but smiled up at him. “You know I’m kidding. You my darling, are beauty defined.”

That was what he always said to me and now he was using it on her. Well, didn’t that make me feel great. Oh wait, he just leant down to kiss her. Now I feel even better, not. Eww…is that his tongue.

I looked up to see Mark jerk his head back in disgust and roll his eyes. He looked down at me, both of us uncomfortable.

“Ok, well I’ll text you Nick.” Mark said, taking my hand in his. Nick lifted his hand and waved us off but carried on kissing Katie, turning to press her into the wall.

“Not for another hour or so. I have a feeling I’ll be a little busy.” Nick smirked at Katie, claiming her lips again. Mark scoffed quietly and walked me quickly to the elevator. Once we were inside and the doors slowly closed I could see Katie’s leg hoisted around Nick’s waist as his hand slid up her thigh.

“See, that is just nasty. You don’t do that much in public, especially when other people are standing right there.” Mark said. I smiled and cuddled into him, blocking Nick out of my mind as hard as I could.

“You are such a gentleman.” I sighed happily. I really was with the right man. Nick hadn’t changed; he never would. He would put on a mask to suit the girl he was with; anything to get them into bed and I was dumb enough to have been one of those girls.

“It’s just basic manners you know?” Mark shook his head, still trying to remove the image. “Nicks a top guy and all but that wasn’t very tasteful at all.”

I managed to kick the image of Katie and Nick out of mind on the journey back to the hotel, disgusted with how he had acted.

“Mark, what do you think of Katie?” I asked as we swung our hands whilst we walked through the hotel lobby.

“She seems nice but very different to Nick so opposites really must attract.” He chuckled.

“Do you think she’s beautiful?”

He turned his head to the side and shook it. “No, I wouldn’t say that. I’d say she was pretty because she is, but not beautiful. She’s not my type any way so I can’t really judge.”

“And what is your type?” I asked, tracing a finger down his chest as I leant on him when we were in the elevator.

“Someone with brains, sense of humour, charisma, beauty, manners. You; basically.” He smiled, pressing his lips to mine. “You are beautiful. Not just pretty; beautiful.” He smirked and pressed his lips harder onto mine. I giggled and gripped tightly onto his shoulders, standing on my tiptoes slightly. The bell rang, signalling our floor. Mark pulled back and bit his bottom lip, smiling down at me. He picked me up wedding style and carried me out of the lift, causing a fit of giggles to leave my lips. He smiled at a middle aged couple who grinned at us as we passed, with me still wriggling in his arms. He somehow managed to hold me yet open the door at the same time and kick it closed behind him. I swung around in his arms, locking my ankles behind his waist and smiling down at him. He looked back up at me, his eyes slowly darkening with lust which always made him look irresistible.

“Do you think I’m beautiful Mark?” I asked with a low tone, biting down on the top of his ear.

“Naturally beautiful, so I suggest we get back to basics.”

“Meaning?” I smirked, knowing exactly what he meant.

“Natural beauty doesn’t require clothing.”

Before I could deliver a smart ass comment he lunged for the bed, with me still in his arms and it certainly wasn’t long before I was back to my ‘natural beauty’.



That night in bed I was cuddled into Marks bare chest, loving the feel of his hands on my skin to keep me close to him. “I love you Mark.”

“I love you too.” He smiled.

I lay my hand on his chest, lifting myself to press a passionate kiss to his lips. “Whoa.” Mark breathed. “I especially love when you do that.” He chuckled, lifting me up to lay me on top of him, allowing her faces to be in line and our bodies even closer. We pressed soft, repeated kisses on each others lips, recovering our breaths from earlier. “I’m sorry about the double date thing.”

“Why are you sorry?” My eyebrows bunched together, wondering if I had missed something.

“I knew it wouldn’t be your thing, and it’s hardly mine either it’s just that I couldn’t just turn them down like that because it would have looked rude. Plus, one night won’t hurt will it babe?” This really showed me how perfect he was. Nick didn’t think there was anything wrong with basically shagging your girlfriend in public yet Mark thought it was rude to turn people down straight. Who the better man was, was clearer than ever before.

I shook my head and chuckled at him, causing a frown to appear on his face as to why I was laughing. “You really are such a gentlemen. You’re truly amazing.” I pressed a softer kiss to his lips, smiling as his hands slid up my back delicately. “And you know what?”

“What?” He grinned, going along with it.

“I wouldn’t want to be with anybody else.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Fighter-Christina Aguilera

Wow, Nick clearly hasn’t gotten any smarter since we last saw him...what an idiot. So, what do we think of all of the characters now? Charlene, Nick, Mark, Katie? I really want to know what all of your feelings are now. I love Mark more and more with each chapter lol.