Vouloir

hey kids you've got alot of potential

“Dude, why is she here again?” Alex said as he sat down on the couch in Jack's living room. His face held an expression of disappointment. It had been two days since Leslie had showed up on Jack's door step, broken and bruised. She had insisted that she should leave and let him carry on with is life, but Jack didn't want her to go back to the horrible place she had come from. A place that had obviously damaged her.

“She needed my help. You didn't see how she looked, how she felt...” Jack trailed off, running his hand through his hair.

“I get it, she looked terrible, but you can't keep her here forever. She's not like a puppy, Jack.” Alex said, his words coming out harsh. He shifted his weight so he was facing Jack, his face showing a mix of emotions. “She needs to go home.”

“No!” Jack snapped, his voice echoing through the room. “She ca-” Jack was cut of by the sound of a door slamming. The noise made both the boys jump, but only Jack responded by rushing to the front entrance hall. He glanced around and noticed that Leslie's shoes were missing from their usually spot by the doorway. His heart sank, she was gone. “Fuck, I messed up, fuck, fuck, fuck..” he mumbled under his breath, repeating the words over and over. He collapsed to the floor, holding his head in his hands.

“What's wrong?” Alex asked, appearing next to Jack. He began to pat Jack's back as an attempt to calm his friend down. Alex looked around the room, his eyes stopping by the doorway. “Man, I'm so sorry.”

“It's not your fault. Like you said, she needed to leave.” Jack hiccuped, trying to steady his breathing. He stood up and made his way to the kitchen, blinking to push back tears.