‹ Prequel: How We Operate
Sequel: These Days

How It Should Be

7:00

"Ow." Violet groaned, walking into the living room that Saturday morning, rubbing her forehead. "What the hell happened? I feel like someone smacked me with an octopus and it sucked out my brains through my eyeballs."

"Lovely," Mark said, taking his half eaten oatmeal to the sink.

"And this is why you're really only supposed to drink beer, you're not Russian, you're not your boyfriend," Matt teased her banging his spoon against his bowl. Violet grabbed his wrist and death stared at him.

"Stop." Matt rolled his eyes and flicked her hand off his wrist.

"He wants you to call him by the way," Mark said, taking a seat across from Mark, smiling.

"Who? Him? He's right here,' Violet, desperately confused pointed at Matt.

"No, no, drunko." Matt said, standing up, clanging his spoon against his empty bowl. Violet grabbed her head and groaned. "Geno."

"Geno?"

"Yes," Mark confirmed. "Evgeni wants you to call him. Oh, and your doctor's office called, you need to schedule an appointment to get that thing removed." Mark said pointing at the air boot. "How did that happen by the way?"

"I slipped in the shower," Violet mumbled, blushing.

"You would." Mark nodded. "Speaking of which, I should probably shower so I'm fresh for my power luncheon."

"You're having a power luncheon?" Violet asked with raised eyebrows. Mark nodded and Matt placed a bowl of oatmeal in front of her.

"Mmhmm. We decided if we hammer out the details together at lunch, my colleagues and I can make an even better proposal at dinner, instead of scrambling twenty minutes before the dinner to gather our ideas."

"Aw, but I wanted to eat lunch with you." Violet whined through a mouth of porridge.

"I'm sorry, Vio, but I promise, we'll get dessert, and we'll get breakfast tomorrow too, I promise." Mark walked over and kissed the top of Violet's head before heading toward the shower.

"Call the Geno!" Matt shouted, slamming Violet's phone. Violet glared at him, and then smirked.

"How's Julie?"

"Fuck you."

"Well?"

"I don' want to talk about it. I think I'm breaking up wit her."

"Why?"

"Too clingy."

"I hear ya."

"CALL THE GENO!" Matt slammed both of his hands on the table. "I want to sit here and listen before I go play Mortal Kombat."

"Fine, you freak." Violet picked up her phone and dialed while Matt eagerly sat down besides her, putting his face close to her phone. Violet gave him a look a distanced her face from his as it rang.

"Violet!" Evgeni answered happily. Violet felt a flush creep up her neck as she smiled.

"Hey, thanks for, um, bringing me home last night?" Violet held in a giggle but Evgeni didn't and chuckled himself.

"I sorry for being jerk."

"It's alright, we all have our misunderstandings."

"I want you call me because I want see if you okay and see if you want come to dinner with parents tonight. I know you no like but," Violet bit her lip as Evgeni explained that they wanted to meet her, and he was proud to be dating her and would love for her to meet his parents. Violet took a deep breath and replied.

"Of course, Evgeni, I'd love to." Geno then told her to dress nice and that he'd pick her up around 7:30. They said goodbye and Violet closed her phone and immediately put her face into Matt's chest an started fake-sobbing."

"I take it something bad happened?"

"I just agreed to meet the parents."

"Oh shit." Matt shook his head and hugged Violet to his chest. Due to her strained relationship with her own family, Violet wasn't too keen on meeting anyone elses. "You know, you're kind of like a guy in relationships."

"I'm sorry?" Violet pulled her chest away from Matt's and looked up at him.

"I mean, most girls want to introduce their boyfriend to their family and the guy wigs out...but with you, it's the opposite."

"Oh." Violet paused and looked up at Matt while he looked down at her. "Sounds about right." Violet nodded and pushed her face against his chest again. Matt wrapped his arms around his best friend and patted down her hair.

"Don't worry, Vi. This is just good preparation for the wedding in two weeks. You'll be practicing being cordial."

"Ooh, I forgot about the stupid wedding. I have a stupid dress fitting today, too. Will you come?"

"Sure." Matt smiled. "And I bought you a birthday present." Violet smiled a little bit, happy that Matt cared so much.

******************************************************************

Several hours later Mark, Matt, and Violet walked out of the dress shop with Violet's dress. Luckily, the dress didn't need alterations, although it was a horrid orange.

"Why can't I look good in orange? Everybody else looks good in orange..." Violet sighed climbing into Matt's car and hanging the dress from one of the hooks.

"What are you talking about?" Mark turned around in the passenger seat to look at her. "No one looks good in orange."

"I guess," Violet mused. Matt shook his head and pumped up the music for the drive home. About half way there Welcome to the Jungle sounded and it was Geno calling Violet to remind her to be ready at 7:30.

"Shit, does he really think I'm going to forget?"

"Apparently." Matt chuckled. Violet rolled her eyes and groaned.

"I hate parents."

"Hey, you agreed to this," Mark waggled his eyebrows at her.

"Shuddup."

****************************************************************************

Mark had left for his own dinner and Matt was watching Violet pace in front of the door waiting for Geno to buzz in. After ten minutes, at 7:32, Geno finally buzzed and Violet flew out the door and down the stairs to meet him.

Geno had to catch her from tripping on her boot and breaking her other foot.

"Whoa." He smiled. Violet smiled back.

"2 things. One, my parents in car." Geno bit his lip apologetically and Violet smiled and kissed him.

"And the other?"
♠ ♠ ♠
A song accompanies the next chapter and if you can figure out what it is then I'll put you in the next chapter (but I doubt anyone will know it)

Lyrics: And how the sun through the shades shows on your face and lights you up so perfectly