Sequel: Going Alone
Status: HOLY SHIT!! THANKS FOR THE 10 STARS!! Go check out Going Alone!

All I Need Is a Sign From You

o18.

“Honey! I’m home!” Alex yelled into the empty house.

“Who are you yelling at?” I asked, dropping my bags at the door.

“I don’t know. It’s just a habit.” He laughed, dropping his bags also.

“I’m pretty tired.” I yawned, walking up the stairs and picking a random door.

Luckily, it was his room, “Okay, well, I’ll just be up writing some more songs.”

“Good night.” I looked at the clock, 7pm.

--------------------

“Mae, wake up.” Alex said, shaking me slightly.

I groaned and rolled over, but then rolled back over once I realized I was laying on my stomach.

“Mae, your Mom’s on the phone.”

“I don’t want to talk to her.” I moaned, stuffing my head into the pillow.

“She says this is really important.” Alex sighed, pushing me once more.

I snatched the phone from his hand, “What?”

“Your Dad is very ill.”

“Book me a flight.” I breathed, hanging up the phone.

“What is it?” Alex asked.

“My Dad is sick.” I said, looking down at the blanket, “I’m flying down there.”

“Let me go with you.” Alex said, hugging me.

I nodded, closing my eyes and hugging him back.

“I just hope he’s okay.”

“He will be, Mae.”

-------------------------------

I tried to be positive about this situation, although it was hard when I knew I was flying down to see my Mom who wasn’t all that supportive of the situation I was in. I wondered about what illness my Dad had and how he was doing while I was packing. Not too long ago my Mom told me he had a cough, but whay harm could a cough have? Alex just packed a carry on bag full of pants and shirts, along with other things, while I packed a full suitcase of everything I could think of. I didn’t know how long I was going ot be down there, but I only had about two days left.

The drive to the airport was nerve-wracking, too. I made Alex drive, because I didn’t think I could put up with Maryland traffic. When Alex parked in the parking lot, I hopped out into the rain and ran off into the cover of the airport. I rushed up to the Customer Service booth, flopping my hands on the table.

“Is there two tickets under the name of Simms?” I asked, “Well, maybe one under Simms and one under Gaskarth.”

The lady began typing on her computer intently, “Yes. Can I see some ID?”

I took out my ID and handed it to her, “Mr. Gaskath will be here shortly."

She nodded and began printing out my ticket, “Your flight will depart in about an hour.”

I nodded and looked out into the crowd, searching for Alex. I spotted him moments later, and flagged him down. He rushed up to me, kissing me when he got there.

“She needs ID.” I said, motioning to the lady.

He took out his wallet, and then his ID from inside and handed it over, and she began printing out his ticket. Once we got both of our tickets, we began making our way to terminal 14, and sat down on the chairs.

“He’ll be alright, Mae.” Alex said, rubbing my back.

“I just hope so.”

---------------------------------

“Thank you for flying American Airlines, and have a nice day.” The stewardess smiled and ushered us off of the plane.

I took Alex’s hand and waited for my suitcase. I began looking around the airport, and noticed how much I recognized. There was still the tacky tourists and the way-too-old people with motorized wheelchairs. It was claming in a way. Alex stepped forward and grabbed my blue suitcase, and then picked up his small backpack and took my hand. I looked over and smiled at him, which earned a smile from him, and began walking out into the bright Florida sun.

Alex quickly ushered me into a taxi while he put the bags into the back, “Miami Hospital.” I breathed, leaning back into the seat.

Once Alex got in, the cab driver took off into the blur of cars and to our destination. I looked out the window and felt more calm fall over me as I saw familiar landmarks. I took Alex’s hand and rubbed the back of his hand with my thumb, making small circles.

“Mae, I think you’re the one who needs calming, not me.” Alex joked, kissing my hand.

-------------------

“Dad!” I called, running into his room.

“Mae.” He croaked, smiling.

“Mr. Simms.” Alex smiled, walking into the hospital room, luggage in tow.

“Alex.” My Dad smiled, closing his eyes.

“What’s wrong?” I ask, sitting down next to him.

“It’s his heart.” My Mother spoke up, grasping his hand.

“I had a heart attack.” He wheezed, “No big deal.”

“Dad!” I called, “It is a big deal!”

“No it’s not, I’m still living, aren’t I?”

“Mr. Simms, “Alex sighed “With all due respect, heart attacks are very serious.”

“Heart attack, smart attack.” My Dad waved him off, “I’m fine, really.”

“What caused it?” I asked, grabbing my Dad’s other hand.

“They don’t know.” My mother said, wiping her eyes, “They’re doing tests right now.”

“Oh Dad.” I sighed, patting his hand.

Alex sat next to me and wrapped his arm around my waist, resting his head on my shoulder, “He’s going to be fine.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Oooooh, suspense, huh?

Well, maybe 3 or four more chapters :]

I know what going to happppppppen.