Status: Complete

By the Light of the Moon I Will Always Love You

Chapter Four

Image

Jacob turned over and grumbled as his navy bedsheets wrapped around his long legs. He turned again, this time swinging his legs over his bed so he was upright and attempted to disentangle himself.

He rose his arms above his head and joining his hands together stretched, smiling at the satisfying crack of joints. He ran his hand through his already tousled hair and swivelled his head to his open window as an owl hooted somewhere outside in the dark night.

He listened closely for the familiar sounds of Billy’s snoring and when the rasping noises floated from the next room, he got up and with one bound cleared the room, shifting in mid-air.

He landed lightly outside his window and shook himself, feeling the light breeze ruffle his russet fur and he walked swiftly into the forest of LaPush.

He pricked an ear but the only sounds that came to him where that of the night-time nature, owls hooting, insects scurrying and the occasional bark of a fox. The soft sounds of the leaves crunching under his paws also reached his ears.

No-one was on patrol tonight so his mind was also clear to house just his own thoughts and he found himself thankful for the brief release of solitude.

He stopped and looked up to the sky, seeing the stars twinkling to him and the full moon hanging like a silver orb in the sky. He broke into a sprint towards the peak of the cliff, the highest point in the LaPush region.

He raced through the tress, enjoying the stretch of his limbs and the thrilling feeling the exercise pulsed through him. He slowed, panting slightly as the trees dispersed and he stopped in surprise as he saw something in his place on the peak of [i[is cliff.

He stayed by the tree and instinctively he crouched, his hackles rising and his lips curling back to ward off the unfamiliar dog.

The white wolf turned, her own fur rising and her teeth glistened in the light the moon gave her, her frightening silver eyes glowing.

They looked at each other and Jacob was shocked to find something deep within her eyes and that was knowledge. Something which was present in his eyes, Seths’ and Leahs’.

This was no wolf. This was a human.

He stayed a minute looking at her, noting the beauty of her silver white fur and her strange, mystical eyes. He was glad to see the same thoughts register in her mind as she stepped back from him and lowered her head submissively at the bigger wolf.

Jacob stepped behind the tree and shifted quickly, covering his naked body discreetly with his pyjama bottoms before confronting the newcomer.

He was startled to see her walking away slowly and he raised his hand toward her, a strange croaking sound coming from his throat as he tried to tell her not to go. He wanted to see her, to know who she was, where she was from.

The white wolf stopped, facing away from her and in a split second a girl stood in the place of the animal. Her simple but beautiful white dress hugged her petite, perfect body, she was barefoot and her waist-length white blonde hair swirled gently in the light breeze.

And then she turned to face him.

Something happened to Jacob. Something he thought wouldn’t, shouldn’t happen again. But it did happen and if possible was one hundred times stronger.

It was simply like the world melted from around them. He was frozen, looking at the most amazing creature of beauty that stood before him. They stood in blackness, he just staring at her, she staring at him. The world seemed to jolt around him, mirroring the jolt of his heart as it beat impossibly fast.

His senses came back and he reached a hand out to her. Wanting to feel her close, to feel her skin on his, her pale velvet perfection against his rough russet tone.

She looked at his hand almost warily, before fleetingly glancing at him, carefully placed her small, doll-like hand in his own larger one.

He pulled her to him, holding her close, and their bodies’ inches apart. He didn’t notice the immortal coldness of her skin nor how her teeth were pointed. He just stared into her eyes, not seeing anything but her beauty, her stillness.

She moved closer to him, her hand trailing up his arms and a strong gust of wind blew her hair around so it skimmed lightly across his face. He gasped out loud at the combination of the tantalising touches and he looked at the girl.His body and mind raced with two things.Fear for the obvious threat of the unknown she represented and want for her,her body,her lips,her soul.Her own eyes were a mixture of confusion and guilt…but they were covered up by something he could recognise as it was in his own eyes, desire.

She stood on tip-toe to reach his face, her soft, luscious lips moving closer to his, but to pass them and stopped at his ear. He closed his eyes and suppressed a moan as her musical voice tickled his neck

“Jacob…” she purred

And then he felt the lightest of butterfly kisses as her lips brushed against his. He grasped her hand tighter but his hand closed on thin air. He opened his eyes in confusion to see only the moon. He was alone on the cliff; she was gone as quickly as she’d arrived. He didn’t even know her name.

But he would find her.