Falling for my Best Friends Brother

Sweet 16

“Aubree C’mon Please unlock the door ” Bailey’s pounding on the bathroom door grew in intensity as she pleaded from the other side.

“No Bailey, no way ” I got my stubbornness from my mom, at least that’s what my dad says.

“Aubree Renee Scott Get out here this instant ” Great. Here we go, Bailey’s using the full-name power on me. I tried to ignore her as I sat on the edge of their bathtub.

Today was Saturday May 16. My birthday. I was officially sixteen years old, as of 5:08 p.m. I checked the clock on my phone and my fears were confirmed, it was 6:42 p.m.

In no time at all people would start trickling through Bailey’s front door ready to party. Not me thank you very much. I stood up from the edge of the tub, a bit unstable if I might add, and took a look at myself in the full length mirror.

My whole outfit was picked out by Bailey, the dress, the shoes, everything. I stared at her creation in awe. It was like I was staring into the mirror but it wasn’t me staring back.

Bailey dressed me up in a simple, but flattering, black strapless dress with an empire waist that fell about 3 inches above my knees and hit all the curves of my body. The reason for my instability were the 5 inch red stilettos I was forced to wear, and hanging around my neck the only thing I had left from my mother, a gold amethyst pendant she had from her mother.

My make-up was simple, more dramatic than usual but pretty much the same. My hair was in its natural waves with my bangs pinned back into a poof. Looking at the reflection in the mirror, there was something that felt different. For the first time since I could remember, I actually felt pretty.

Someone knocking on the door making me jump and brought me back to reality. I reached over, unlocked the door, and swung it open.
“Bailey what do you....Oh sorry.” My face flushed to match the color of my shoes when I saw Riley leaning against the doorway with one arm with that smile of his plastered across his face.

He was about to say something when he stopped and his eyes grew slightly wider, then back to normal. His eyes ran over my body, making me blush more, and when his eyes came back to mine he grew a shade of red too.

“Uh, Bailey wanted me to see if I could uh, get you....out and...” He blushed again and looked down, laughing and shaking his head.

I felt a small smile creep across my mouth as I stepped out of the bathroom. Then Riley cleared his throat, “So, we should probably go find Bailey. She’s already freaking out.” I nodded my head and he took me by the waist and led me down the hallway.

Riley tightened his hold around my waist and I could feel his breath on my neck just below my ear. Butterflies reappeared in my stomach and my breath came in shorter, quicker bursts. “You look beautiful by the way.”

He softly kissed just below my ear and left to go find Bailey. My knees grew weak and numbness over came them, but it wasn’t the same feeling from a week ago. This time it was the good kind of numbness. That kind that everybody wants to feel when they’re with someone that they truly love and care about.

No. Aubree stop Remeber: best friend’s brother. He’s your best friend’s brother

Off limits.

From inside the kitchen I could hear Bailey squealing and jumping around, “Oh thank you Riley Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you I knew you’d get her somehow. Okay here, put up these decorations. Go ”

She started to laugh and then burst through the door into the living room when she noticed me. All the cups and napkins she was holding dropped from her hands and she stared wide-eyed with her mouth open at me.

“Oh. My. God. Aubree! You look...amazing! Wow.” Then she ran up to me and sucked me into a hug. “You’re gonna have so much fun tonight! This is your birthday party and it's gonna be the best!”

Bailey looked gorgeous as always. Her long blonde hair was pulled back into a low braid that hung over one shoulder. She had on a cobalt blue strapless dress with a bow at the top. It came down to a few inches above her knees and was longer than mine. For shoes she wore a pair of black strappy high heeled shoes.

“Thanks Bailey. For everything. The dress, the shoes, the party planning, everything you did over the past week. It means a lot to me.” My eyes started to water up but I held it in. I didn’t need to deal with crying tonight, even if it was from being happy.

“Don’t even worry about it. You deserve all of this. But thanks for letting me plan it.” We giggled to ourselves and skipped with our arms linked into the living room to put up the final touches.

Their living room was transformed into a little beach club, minus the sand. There was a mini lifeguard stand outside on the deck, an inflatable pool filled with ice for the drinks, fake palm trees everywhere, and light stands set up around a dance floor.

“Wow this looks awesome ” I stood in the middle of the dance floor staring up at the multi-colored lights changing back and forth.

“Yeah well Ryan and Riley actually did most of the setting up, I just bossed them around and told them what to do.” I laughed and walked outside to sit on the bench next to the pond.

I started to think about that night I spent sitting here with Riley. Everything felt right when he was around. I didn’t worry about Chris, I wasn’t scared to go home and see what happened to my dad that night. It was just me and him without a care in the world.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

People had been coming through the front door nonstop for a solid two hours. Supposedly I had at least one class with everyone here but I beg to differ.

I made my way to the kitchen and saw Bailey and Ryan sitting on the counter talking to each other. As soon as Bailey saw I was standing there she jumped off the counter and ran over to me.

“Aubree! How do you think it’s going so far? Oh have you seen Riley yet? I need him to get something for me.” She checked over my shoulder, like she was searching for something...or someone.

Her face lit up for a second and then she brought herself back to reality, “Hey um, come with me for a second. I wanna show you something.”

She took me by the wrist and led me through the house to the entryway. She whistled to get everyone’s attention and signaled the DJ to turn the music down.

“Okay everybody, as you all know it’s Aubree’s birthday today and I just wanna say, Aubree, ever since you moved here about two years ago, you’ve been my best friend. We know each other so well and even though I know parties aren’t really you’re thing, I really hope that you enjoy this.” When she paused people started to whistle and cheer my name in congratulations. Man, Bailey was good at talking in front of people.

“So...with that being said, Aubree, we all want to wish you a Happy Birthday.” As if on cue the lights were all turned off except for a string of Christmas lights that I hadn't noticed before.

There was a glow coming from the back of the room and it slowly came closer and closer to me as everyone broke into a song that could be recognized anywhere.

“Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Aubrree, Happy Birthday to you ” While they were singing I saw that the glow was actually Riley and Ryan carrying a gigantic cake.

It was those huge multi-layered cakes that didn’t even look real. They were three of the biggest and most delicious looking layers of cake I had ever seen! Each layer was made to look like a different sized present stacked on top of each other. It was all powder blue (my favorite color) and a giant white ribbon sat on top. Who knows if the ribbon was edible but it was yummy looking!

Riley and Ryan reached where I was just as the song ended, when I noticed sixteen sparkler candles stuck all over. “Make a wish.” Riley said as he winked at me.

Once again, I blushed, but only a slight shade of pink thanks to Bailey's make-up artist skills. I closed my eyes and let out a big breath. All the candles went out and the colored lights were turned back on as everyone in the room began to clap and cheer.

After everyone had their cake (there was actually enough for everyone there) the high pumping hip hop music started blasting from the speakers again. I sat in the kitchen listening to beat of the bass go through the whole house, eating my amazingly delicious cake, when someone came and sat down next to me.

“So how’d you like the cake?” I looked up from my plate to see Riley smirking at me with those blue eyes of his shining through.

My breath hitched in the back of my throat as I tried to scramble together something clever to say in response. Then I decided to mess with him and try out my flirting.

“Delicious.” I licked my lips and tried to say it in a seductive voice. His eyes traveled down to my lips and back to my eyes.

He cleared his troat before he continued, “Well...I uh, just came to wish you a happy sixteenth birthday.”

I blushed internally and tried to keep my composure. "So, what'd you wish for?" He flashed me one of his signature smiles and I got all excited and giddy inside. (Yeah that’s right. Giddy is a word and that’s how happy I am)

"Hmm..." I tapped my finger on my chin a few times and winked at Riley, making him blush this time. Ha! Finally! What a second...why is he blushing? Does that mean...or whatever. I've gotta stop over analyzing things.

Then Riley got a glint in his eye and he took my hand, leading me to the living room with the dance floor. Oh no. If he wanted me to dance, there were gonna be some problems.

And that’s exactly what he was planning, “Can I have a dance with the birthday girl?” It didn’t even matter that he gave me the sweetest smile ever, my nerves were racing.

“Riley, I would love to, but I can’t dance. At. All.” I gave a nervous laugh and smiled.

“That’s okay, I’ll teach you.” The he held his hand out for me to take. My nervous, unsure smile turned into a warm, happy smile as I took his hand in mine.

He led me out into the middle of the dance floor and just as we were about to dance to Poker Face by Lady Gaga when the song slowed down and changed to I’m Yours by Jason Mraz.

Before I could say anything Riley pulled me into him as he wrapped one of his arms around my waist and guided my arms around his neck with the other.

Well you done done me and you bet I felt it
I tried to be chill but you’re so hot that I melted
I fell right through the cracks, now I’m trying to get back
Before th cool done run out I’ll be giving it my bestest
And nothing’s going to stop me but divine intervention
I reckon it’s again my turn to win some or lose some
Because I won’t hesitate no more, no more
It cannot wait, I’m yours
Well open up your mind and see like me
Open up your plans and then your free
Look into your heart and you’ll find love love love love
Listen to the music of the moment people, dance and sing
We’re just one big family
And it’s our God-forsaken right to be loved loved loved loved loved
So I won’t hesitate no more, no more
It cannot wait, I’m sure
There’s no need to complicate, our time is short
This is our fate, I’m yours

Huh, this song kinda fit me at the moment. Don’t ya think?

D-d-do do you, but do you, d-d-do
But do you want to come on
Schooch on over closer dear
And I will nibble your ear
I’ve been spending way too long checking my tongue in the mirror
And bending over backwards just to try to see it clearer
But my breath fogged up the glass
And so I drew a new face and I laughed
I guess what I be saying is there ain’t no better reason
To rid yourself of vanities and just go with the seasons
It’s what we aim to do, our name is our virtue
But I won’t hesitate no more, no more
It cannot wait, I’m yours
(I won’t hesitate)
Open up your mind and see like me
(No more, no more)
Open up your plans and man you’re free
Look into your heart and you’ll find that the sky is yours
(It cannot wait, I’m sure)

For what seemed like hours we stood there, not even moving to the music, staring into each other’s eyes like there was no one else in the room.

So please don’t, please don’t, please don’t
(There’s no need to complicate)
There’s no need to complicate
(Our time is short)
‘Cause our time is short
(This is our fate)
This is, this ism this is our fate
I’m yours

The song switched again to Burn It To The Ground by Nickelback and Riley closed his eyes in frustration, “If only that song was a little bit longer.” I tilted my head slightly and gave him a questioning look.

“Why is that?” He got a flirty smirk on his face as he continued to speak, “So I could do this.”

He moved his hand from my waist and cupped my cheek in his hand, bringing our faces closer together. My eyes were focused on his lips as they came closer and closer to mine. I closed my eyes and I could feel his cool breath on my lips which made me shiver.

Just as our lips were about to collide, someone from behind me cleared their throat. The only thing going through my mind was, “Oh no, Bailey just saw us She’s gonna be pissed.”

I saw Riley’s eyes turn from lust to furious in seconds. I slowly turned to feel the wrath of Bailey but instead of seeing her in her normal “You’re in trouble” stance with her foot tapping and a hand on her hip, Bailey was nowhere to be seen.

Instead I saw that tall, blonde abomination that I was hoping never to see for the rest of my life.
Chris.

“I see you're having fun Aubree.” Chris’ face spread into an evil smirk as he stepped closer to me. Anger coursed through my veins as he stood there staring at me.

“Get out of here Chris. You weren’t invited and nobody wants you here.” Riley said through gritted teeth. I saw his right hand clench into a fist and I reached out and took his hand in mine which immediately relaxed his.

Chris completely ignored what Riley was saying and grabbed me by the arm, “Come with me Aubree, we're gonna talk.” His fingers were digging into my arm making me scream in pain.

“Stop! Let me go ” I started screaming and kicking to get free from his grip but it was no use. As he dragged me outside people stopped and stared in awe. By that time the word had been out at school about what happened between Chris and I last week and they probably couldn’t believe he was doing it again.

I saw Bailey grab Ryan as she started running towards us and Riley was shoving people out of his way to get to me. Before I knew it Chris threw me on the ground and felt the soft grass beneath me.

“I told you two to wait and see.” Obviously talking to me and Riley who was the first to appear by my side to help me up, “Because of you two, I got suspended for a month and kicked off the baseball team! And now I come over here just to wish you a ‘Happy Birthday’ and I find you trying to make out with him! You slut ”

He spit on the ground and started to walk towards me when Riley stepped forward, shielding me from whatever Chris was about to do. I saw him stop dead in his tracks, “Riley, like I said before. Stay out of this, it’s none of your business.”

He tried pushing his way past him but Riley never budged, “Yes, it is. You come into my house, uninvited, trying to start a fight with Aubree, it turns into my business. Now just get the hell out of here before anything else happens."

Chris had a bewildered expression on his face, “You think just ‘cause you tell me to leave, I’m gonna listen? HAH Now get out of the wa–” He wasn’t able to finish his sentence, Riley punched his right in the jaw and he fell to the ground.

“Get. Out.” Riley gritted his teeth together as he spoke to keep himself from yelling at him.

Chris struggled to get up and once he did he started screaming and yelling in anger, “AHHHH! Riley! You’re gonna pay for this!” He lunged for him and they both went down onto the ground.

They started punching the crap out of each other while I looked on in shock. Riley had landed another punch to Chris’ jaw, Chris came back and with a left hook to Riley cheekbone. I stood there with Bailey holding me up for support and trying to keep me from over to them and stopping it.

It had started to rain and was now pouring down in buckets. Everyone that had made their way outside to witness the fight quickly dispersed back into the house. As the rain came down Riley and Chris stood up and stalked around each other in a circle. They were yelling at each other but I couldn’t make it out over the pounding of the rain on the roof.

My knees began to buckle and Bailey pulled me into a hug, “I know it’s hard Aubree, but you have to let them finish it. It’s okay, Riley can handle himself. Trust me.” I know she was trying to make me feel better but it didn’t help much. Even though I knew Riley could take care of himself I was still worried about him. Then ironically enough, I heard the songs switch to Numb by Linkin Park. Did the DJ have some sick sense of humor or something?

I looked over at the fight going on and was relieved when I noticed Riley was barely hurt. His lip was bleeding and had mud on his clothes but he didn’t look in pain. It seemed like Chris was about to give in because he was beat up pretty bad. His nose and lip was bleeding and his shirt was torn in some small spots with mud stains all over. He turned his head to spit red and that’s when Riley came at him.

He grabbed him by the shirt and flung him down at the ground where a giant puddle was beginning to form. When Chris just laid there and didn’t even try to get up, Riley walked over to him and stood there looking down at him with disgust written all over his face.

“Now get out ” Chris gathered himself and scrambled to get up, “Alright, alright. But I have one more thing to do.” Then he slowly walked over towards me and whispered in my ear, “Happy Birthday Aubree. Hope you enjoy it, you slut.”

He pulled his head back and looked me in the eyes. I smiled at him warmly and he looked shocked by my reaction, “Thank you. That means a lot. And I have something to say to you.”

Chris got a satisfied expression and leaned in closer, the rain sliding down his cheek. Just as I was about to speak I pulled my arm back and punched him right where Riley did the first time. “Who do you think you are?! I never did anything for you to call me a slut and don’t deserve to listen to your crap! Get out and don't you ever come near me again!”

I stood with my fists clenched as he just stumbled backwards rubbing the side of his face where I just hit him. He opened his mouth like he was about to say something but immediately closed it again. He turned his body towards the gate in the backyard and walked out being covered by the rain.

A sigh of relief escaped my lips and I and looked over to Bailey and Ryan, “Um, Ryan, let’s go inside and kick everyone out. I think they need a moment alone.” Bailey took Ryan’s hand in hers and walked back into the living room. I glanced over at Riley and turned in the opposite direction to sit on a bench next to the once roaring fire, now doused by the rain.

All my emotions caught up with me as I sat there letting the rain hit me and soak my clothes. Tears began to roll out of my eyes uncontrollably as I started to cry but at least they were disguised by the rain. In seconds Riley was by my side trying to comfort me, “Aubree? Please don’t cry. I’m sorry I ruined your birthday. I didn’t mean to. Just don’t cry.”

I managed to subdue my cries before Riley could go on. “No Riley, you didn’t ruin it. It’s not your fault it’s just...I thought he was gone. Out of my life. I didn’t want to see him and then he came here and wrecked everything. I-I just...” Cries escaped my lips again as Riley put his arms around me and slowly started rocking me back and forth.

He gently put a hand behind my head and pulled me into his chest, “Aubree, I’m so sorry this happened. But don’t worry, he won’t bother you anymore. I promise. I’m never gonna let anything bad happen to you agin.” Riley slid me onto his lap and my crying stopped. I felt protected with his arms around me and I didn’t want to leave this moment.

We sat outside in the pouring rain for almost ten minutes when we bother started to get cold. I felt Riley’s hand under my chin as he tilted my head up to look at him. He was staring down at me warmly with his blue eyes and an amazing smile, “We should go inside. It’s freezing out here and your soaking wet.”

When I nodded in agreement he lifted me up off of his lap and a shock of cold sped through my body making me shiver. Away from his body heat, it was freezing out here! But being soaked didn’t help either. My dress was stuck to every curve of my body and my hair was flattened down and clinging to my neck.

Riley grabbed my hand and brought me inside where we found Bailey saying goodbye to the last group of people and Ryan starting to pick up garbage. Once Bailey closed the door she turned to us and raced over to make sure we were okay.

“Aubree! Riley! Are you just coming in? Why’d you stay out there so long? You guys are soaked ” She said handing us a towel from the chair next to us.

“Yeah, thanks captain obvious.” Riley laughed and Bailey just rolled her eyes and stuck her tongue out at him.

“Whatever. You guys go get dried off. Shower. Eat. Go do something. Ryan and I will clean this up. Don’t’ worry about it.” She gently pushed us up the stairs towards her room, Riley’s, and the bathrooms were.

Riley led me up the stairs to the first door on the left, his room. I’d always loved coming into his room with Bailey to hang out and watch movies. Everything from the dark blue paint, the vanilla colored carpet, and all the posters covering his walls made me feel at home.

“Here’s some clothes if you wanna change, and uh, you can use the shower if want.” He set a pair of his boxers and a T-shirt on the corner of his bed. Then he turned to his dresser and slid his shirt over his head, making the muscles in his back contract and relax. He found a shirt after rifling through the draws and turned back to face me before putting it on.

I tried to avert my eyes before he noticed I was staring at him but my brain wasn't functioning well enough to tell my body to turn away. “You enjoying yourself?” I could hear the smile in his voice as he caught me watching. My eyes met his once again as I smiled nervously and looked away.

“Um, I’m just gonna...shower.” I quickly spun around, grabbed the clothes he gave me, and ran to the bathroom door, closing and locking it behind me. I leaned against the cold wood and let out a sigh, “Why does he have to be so gorgeous?” I said to myself.

I turned the water on and let it warm up for minute while I looked at my appearance in the mirror. It was worse than I thought. My hair had started to dry which made it appear knotted and frizzy, my make-up was smeared under my eyes from crying and the rain. And my dress most likely ruined.

I turned the shower on, slid out of my clothes, and let the hot water run down my back for about ten minutes.

*~*~*~*~*~*

After a 20 minute shower I turned the water off and dried myself, putting on the clothes that Riley gave me. I had my own pajamas in Bailey's room but Riley’s clothes just sounded so much better to me. I opened the door and walked out of the steamy room to see Riley sprawled out on his bed flipping through the channels on TV, shirtless. Did you hear me? Shirtless! Can you say torture?

My eyes traveled down his body, his chiseled chest, muscular biceps, and his washboard abs. Is it even possible for someone to be that ripped? He wasn’t bulky in anyway, just very toned.

He noticed me standing there and sat up, making his abs contract together. He smiled, probably catching me drooling over him again.

“So...anything good on?” I said trying to distract him from the fact I kept staring at him while sitting on the edge of the bed. I felt him moving around and he sat back down next to me.

I felt his breath on my neck and got goose bumps. His hand found a place at the back of my neck and turned me to face him. Our eyes locked and he brought me closer towards him until I was sitting on his lap again.

“If I remember correctly, we were interrupted earlier.” I smiled remembering when he had asked me to dance just over an hour ago. This time, nothing was going to break up this moment.

Once again our lips were just about to touch, he kept his hand at the back of my neck and moved his other hand to my waist. I had my arms wrapped around his neck and ran my fingers through his hair.

Then suddenly, the moment I had been waiting for since the first day I met him. His lips met mine and I was lost in the moment. His fingers played with my hair as the kiss intensified and we grew closer. The next thing I knew Riley had swung me around and I was laying down on the bed with him leaning over me, our lips never broke apart. Instead they moved together in sync with each other.

After a few minutes we broke away for air, both of us breathing heavily. He laid down next to me and started to play with my hair again. I looked over at him and smiled, “That was...”

“Amazing.” He finished breathlessly, flashing me one of most breathtaking smiles. I could feel the blood rushing to my cheeks making them turn a deep shade of red. I sat up and yawned, stretching my arms above my head and got off the bed.

“I should go over to Bailey’s room. She’s probably wondering where I am and...”I trailed off seeing Riley put on a fake pout and looking down, “What is that face for?”

“You don’t have to go find Bailey. She’s probably still with Ryan anyways. You can stay here and watch a movie...with me.” Riley smirked and patted the spot on the bed next to him and I couldn’t help but smile. I crawled back up next to him and he wrapped his arms around me giving me a kiss on the forehead. We sat there holding on to each other while we watched Pirates Of The Carribean.

Halfway through the movie my eyes started to droop and I gave in. I laid my head on Riley’s chest and kept my arms wrapped around him intending to stay like this for the rest of my life.

Riley ran his hands through my hair and kissed my temple, “Happy Birthday Aubree.” He whispered against my skin. I smiled to myself and kissed just below his right collar bone.

“Thank you for making it the best birthday ever.” I whispered back into his neck. I felt him smile into my hair as he tightened his hold around me.

I fell asleep that night in Riley’s bed, wrapped up in his arms, feeling content over everything that happened that night. Things were starting to look up. Chris was gone and not going to pop up again and I think Riley had feelings for me the same way I had feelings for him. Right?

Oh well. I’ll figure it out in the morning. Sleepy time now!
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah yeah. They finally kissed! Oh my gosh yay! Haha. Well...comment away! Not like I haven't said that before haha.