True Love Never Dies

Chapter 8

Two months had passed since Eve's accident and her fall into a coma. Tre had been there by her side everyday without fail, he even blew off band practice and merely promised Mike and Billie Joe he'd practice at home, which he didn't. Instead he went to see Eve every day and today was no different.
Climbing into his car and adjusting the rear-view mirror he started the engine and all the while he carried a sour disposition. He'd become nonetheless a grump and bitter man, biting the heads of the most innocent people. He'd dismissed Martha's services long ago, saying that he needed to take care of himself now and he knew he was doing a ripe job at it. Billie and Mike began to drift away and he knew it was because he was cutting himself off from them but he didn't feel comfortable around anyone... anyone except Eve. Just then his cell rang out, he grunted and snatched it up, hastily jabbing the answer button.
"Hello?" He snapped.
"Tre? Hey it's me Jordyn... " She waited for his reply but he gave none, "Jordyn? Jordyn Samuels... from the salon?" She said trying to refresh his memory.
"I know who it is, what do you want Jordyn?" Tre snapped.
"Tre, what's wrong... it's me eves best friend... your friend." She stammered with a hurt tone in her voice.
"Look Jordyn unless you need me for something constructive... I'm busy," Tre snapped.
"Well sure if you're busy I could... "
"Wait! In fact tell me now then we won't have to do this again!" Tre grunted.
Jordyn sighed, "Well I have an appointment here set up for Eve and... "
Tre cut her off, "Eve is in a coma, Jordyn, do you know what that means?"
"Yes but I... "
"So do you really think she can have her beauty treatments now?" He snapped.
"No but I was wondering... "
"Then why the hell would you call?" Tre asked nastily.
"Well I was going to say you could have them instead," Jordyn said quickly and timidly.
"Oh that's great, so you'd forget her that easily would you?"
"NO! I just thought... "
"Well you thought wrong!" Tre yelled hanging up and throwing his phone across the car. He pulled up to the hospital and disappeared inside carrying the flowers with him. As he walked along the ward and met Nurse Mae, "I want to see Eve again!" He snapped. Nurse Mae was busy doing something so she merely nodded and pointed toward Eve's room, "Go ahead!" she said quickly before dashing off down the ward. When he entered the room he was faced with two people, seventeen year old Joseph Armstrong and his prissy, goody two shoes girlfriend Anya.
"Tre... " Joey said standing up from the hospital chair.
"What are you doing?" Tre immediately asked when he saw Anya poking around in the bedside cabinet.
"We were just cleaning in here, it was kind of messy," Anya said cautiously.
"And what gave you the idea you could just go in there without asking?" Tre snapped, "What the hell are you even doing here, both of you?"
Joey spoke next, "We wanted to come see her Tre, we care for her too,"
"Get out... " Tre said instantly. Joey and Anya looked shocked.
Tre marched over and shoved Anya out of the way and began throwing things back into the cabinet.
"Tre we're only helping... " Anya said.
"I said... get...out!" Tre snapped again.
"Tre... " Joey began.
"GET OUT!!!" Tre yelled at the top of his lungs. Joey grabbed Anya and dragged her from the room.
Anya eagerly allowed herself to be taken, Tre had scared her.
In the room Tre put everything else in the cabinet and pulled the chair beside the bed.
"I'm sorry they had to see you like this, baby, I'm sorry I let them in here... it won't happen again." Burying his head in her hands that he held, he cried.

Half an hour later Tre was in his car again and racing down the highway to town.
He knew what his objective was in town; he knew he shouldn't do it because he had Eve and the baby to think about, he'd also promised Eve he wouldn't do it again. But right now the craving was too unbearable, the pain was too unbearable, the anger went in and the wit went out. He emerged the store with a large bottle of liquor and continued his onward journey home.
Billie Joe and Adrienne were in the same street shopping at the mart for a barbeque they'd planned that weekend. Billie saw Tre dart out of the off licence, into his car and take off hastily down the road, he shook his head. "There he goes and so it begins... " Billie murmured.
"It was bound to have happened sooner or later honey... but it's just another phase in the Tre Cool world of madness and disaster, he'll come around." She reassured Billie.
"Maybe I should go after him?" Billie wondered.
"Ah-huh," Adrienne said shaking her head, "No way, you remember what happened last time, honey, you're coming home with me!"
Billie looked back on the memory; he knew exactly what memory in particular that Adrienne referred to. When Tre was going through a divorce he took up drinking heavily, Billie went over to help and ended up getting punched so hard that he was out stone cold for the entire night.
"I'm just worried about him; I could take Mike with me... " Billie suggested.
"No! Billie, you'll leave him to it, he'll suffer when he has a hang over in the morning!" Adrienne demanded.
"Okay, fine... " Billie replied huffily, "But if he chokes on his own vomit..."
"Ha, yeah right, help me with these bags, you man you!" Adrienne said laughing and Billie obliged.
He knew Tre was going to get smashed and do something stupid... but what?