I Fell In Love When I Least Expected to...

Chapter 9

I sighed watching him leave. I waited for a while before transforming.
I took the bandages off of me and hurriedly went to ‘my’ room. I changed and looked at myself in the mirror. The dress was definitely my style and my hair was still intact.

I sighed and left the room. Without anyone noticing me I reached Amy’s room. She was there with Felix. I blushed and mumbled an apology.

“Oh it’s perfectly fine Destiny! We were just going to go downstairs” Felix said smiling at me.
I smiled at him and Amy winked at me.
“You look dashing…” she complimented me.
“Thank you, so do you” I said back.
“I’m such a lucky guy tonight. I get to escort two beautiful ladies downstairs” Felix said grinning.
I laughed and Amy giggled.
We each took one of his arms and left the room.

We descended the stairs and everyone who wasn’t yet inside the Ballroom gawked at us.
People greeted Amy and Felix and smiled at me. I smiled back at everyone and that’s when I saw Lucas and Belle. She was in her human form as well and she wore a blue dress that complimented her figure beautifully.

They smiled when they saw me. We all together walked inside the Ballroom. First went Lucas and Belle and we followed them.
My eyes landed on the King who smiled at me nodding. I smiled back at him and then I noticed where Felix was leading us… towards Alex.
He smiled genuinely at me and I smiled back. He took my hand in his and kissed it softly.
I felt myself blush at that and I was glad that the lights had dimmed.
“Let’s dance” he whispered in my ear as he led me to the dance floor.
He put his hands on my waist and pulled me closer. I rested my head on his chest and danced to the slow beat.
We danced to a couple of songs in silence. He seemed to be deep in thought… I knew what he was thinking and I sighed.
He looked down at me and raised an eyebrow. I smiled awkwardly at him and continued dancing.
When the song ended a young boy showed up and asked if he could cut in. Alex seemed to mind but nodded none the less.
The boy smiled at me and I smiled back. He seemed ok…
We danced to a slow song but he had his hands on my upper back. I smiled at that… what a gentleman.
The song ended and before I knew it I was back in Alex’s arms.
I raised an eyebrow at that but he just smiled.

After a while I got tired. He noticed this and offered to walk outside to the balcony.
“Listen Destiny… ” he started when we were outside.

Thankfully the moon was well hid behind clouds. I turned my attention back to him and I noticed that he was edging his way closer to me.

“I know we don’t know each other well… but I feel like I’ve known you for years… all I’m trying to say is that I really like you… I really really do…” he said as he put his arms around my waist.
I stared up at him and smiled…
“I really like you too…” I mumbled.

At first I wasn’t sure if this was what I should have said. I thought that if I denied my feelings… he wouldn’t be hurt. But… doing so would have hurt both of us. And all I wanted was for him to be happy…

He smiled and pulled something out of his pocket. It was a jewelry box. He opened it and I gasped. Inside was a beautiful ring.

He put it on my finger and kissed my hand softly.
“Something to remember me by… a promise ring if you’d like” he said as his arms snaked around my waist.
“A promise?” I asked him.
“A promise that one day you’ll be mine” Alex said smiling.
“It’s beautiful… how can I thank you?” I asked him smiling.
He smiled at that and brought his face closer to mine. His lips touched mine and I swear fireworks went off. He deepened the kiss and I felt special in a way. So secure, like nothing could hurt me… nothing could go wrong.
When he pulled away he looked up. He smiled at something behind me. I turned to see what it was and I immediately regretted it as I came face to face with the full moon. Tears came to my eyes as I turned to look at him.
His smile disappeared. In its place was now confusion and hurt.
The tears fell freely from my eyes as he let go of me.
My now vibrant grey eyes told him the truth… I couldn’t hide it… this was it…

“Selene?!” he asked as he looked into my eyes.
The pain in his eyes was unbearable and I broke eye contact.
“How could you?!” he whispered.
I sobbed at that. Before I knew it, he had me pinned against the wall. His hand was around my neck and it was suffocating me.
“How could you?! Was this a game?! Was I a game to you?” he yelled.
I looked down… I wasn’t going to look into his eyes… I couldn’t.

“Look at me! Look at me, damn it!” he yelled pushing me against the wall roughly.
I looked up at him, tears streaking down my face. What I saw broke my heart even more. His eyes held hatred…
He suddenly let go of me as if I had burnt him.
“You disgust me” he said with venom.
My legs gave way as I buried my face in my hands.
“Pathetic. I don’t ever want to see you again…” he said before turning to leave.

“I never meant to hurt you…” I whispered, silent tears falling from my eyes.
Even if it was a whisper… I knew he had heard.
He stopped as I said that. I half expected him to turn around and hit me but he continued towards the door.

I transformed and I ran… to where you ask? I don’t know… I ran and ran…
I was far away from the castle when I stopped running. I transformed again and broke down.

How could I? It was my entire fault… Everything was.

Suddenly I heard rustling from the bushes behind me. I turned and saw Damien there smirking. He’s face was still scarred… I smirked slightly at that.
“Pity… it’s a shame he’s not here to save you” he said mockingly as he took an injection out.
I looked at him not bothering to try to run away. What was the point? Even if I got away… Where would I go?

He aimed and it hit me directly on the shoulder.

“Selene!” I heard a voice yelling from the darkness.
I turned my head only to see Alex there.
“Let her go Damien” Alex spat.
“Too little too late…” Damien said to him smirking as he picked me up bridal style.
Everything was hazy and I could hardly keep my eyes open… I heard Alex yelling at him to let me go but Damien teleported.
I lost consciousness soon afterwards.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment, rate, subscribe?

~Ria~