Sequel: Inbetween

Shock Factor

From Tré's POV

About a month later, Tré was lounging around watching telly, flicking through all the channels in the hope of porn or cartoons. He was just reaching for his beer when his phone rang.

“Sup? Tré speaking… Ramona! Sweetie how you been? … Uh huh. A boy? Want I should kick his butt? ... Nah you know I’m just joking with you! … Me? Well, I got the TV, I got beer, and Frankito’s coming round on Saturday too, so you’re both spending the weekend with me! … Yeah, well, you smell funny! … Okay sweetie, see you then!”

It was Thursday, so he could leave it until tomorrow to tidy up. Finishing his beer, he threw it in the general direction of the bin, and got another from the mini freezer by his feet.

At half past one, the doorbell woke Tré. He shuffled downstairs, hoping he didn’t have a hangover because he didn’t think he’d been drunk. When he opened the door, it was Mike.

“Gods sake Tré, put some fucking clothes on!” Without even a hello, he walked in. Laughing, Tré went to put clothes on over his pants.

“So…” Mike said. It was awkward. “What actually happened when you drove that Nickey home? Coz you never said a word about it. Billie’s thinks he might know, but…”

“She had a kid.” Tré cut him off, “And she didn’t know if the dad is me or this other guy. And I get this weird feeling in my belly whenever I think about her. But she’s in England and the other guy loves the kid. Who I met once.”

“Whoa.” Mike drank some of the coffee he’d bought from Costa Coffee. “That’s more difficult than Billie or me had thought of. We thought she might be married… that was our worst case scenario…”

Tré forced a laugh. He didn’t know if that would have been worse. Maybe, coz… coz… he might be able to… No. It was a stupid idea.

(For your information, irrelevant to the story, Mike is drinking Costa Coffee coz, despite all the Mike fans saying he likes Starbucks, I think it’s bad coffee, and it’s extortionately priced. Plus, I like Costa.)

After giving some advice, Mike persuaded Tré that his house was too much of a mess to clean up by himself, especially not in one day. He phoned Billie Joe, and the three of them had a big clean up.

Because Tré is useless at tidying.

And on the Saturday, both Ramona and Frankito came to spend some time with Tré, Ramona being 17 and Frankito being 11, they each had a room at his house and stayed for varying amounts of time. They were only there for a week this time…

And the entire time Tré thought about how lucky he was, he had two kids, he loved them, they loved him, and they were happy, normal (ish… well they’re Tré’s, course they’re gonna be weird!) and fun to be around.