Kidnapped

You Can't

Ch.7
You Can't

Donna sat in the detective’s office squeezing the hand of her husband, Daryl. Tears had long gone ceased to trickle out. Now wave after wave of shock continued to beat against her raw soul. Daryl squeezed her hand and gave her an “It’s going to be alright” look. He was her rock in many situations. With her being a lawyer she usually had no problem forming arguments, but that proved to be wrong when it came to Daryl’s mom. His mom was extremely proud of her son becoming the families first to graduate from college and start a thriving business. Everything was perfect in her son’s life except whom he married. Donna believed she wouldn’t be satisfied with any woman he married. That’s why Donna was speechless when Daryl’s mom came over just before they left for the detective’s office to offer words of encouragement and a long hug. Daryl was even lost for words but just joined in on the hug.

“Can you do that for me Mr. and Mrs.Kinko?” Detective Max asked leaning forward on his desk resting on his elbows. Donna looked at Detective Max and finally seeing him for the first time. He was clean cut red head with a hard expression on his face. His big brown eyes were full of knowledge.

“Of course.” Daryl replied as he squeezed Donna’s hand again. Donna looked at him in confusion; she had been in tunnel vision in the last few hours, not wanting to accept what had happened. Daryl gave her a forced smile and turned back to Max.

“We’ll get the picture in as soon as possible.” He stood up and shook Max’s hand. Max gave a small nod and opened the office door.

“The Amber Alert will be up within the hour Mr. and Mrs.Kinko.” Max said as he lead them out to the main room. Max waved them off and then went back to his office. Donna held on to Daryl’s hand scared to let go and pissed that she lost focus in the detective’s office. All she could see in her minds eye was Alison’s pink back pack in the middle of the road and her papers scattered everywhere.

“He got the information for the Amber Alert then?” Donna asked looking at the ground she could feel her throat tightening.

“Yeah now all they need is a picture.” Daryl answered as he opened the car door for her.

Donna pulled herself in and watched Daryl cross in front of the car to the drivers side. Fresh tears had started to roll down her cheeks. Daryl got in and looked at Donna with equal sorrow in his eyes. Donna knew Daryl was trying to be strong for her, but she honestly wouldn’t mind if he cried. She reached over and put a hand on his shoulder. He turned his face from her and ran his fingers through his hair. His shoulder started shaking under Donna’s hand. She put her head on his shoulder, lost for words, just letting the horrors of the day finally get to him.

“Let’s go sweetie.” Donna said rubbing his shoulder as he wiped tears from his face. He nodded and started the car. Driving home in complete silence Donna couldn’t help but curse the man on the phone earlier today. If only he hadn’t called she could have got to the school in time and Alison would be safe. She stopped herself there knowing she couldn’t change what had happened, but the guilt still sat in the pit of her stomach making her sick.

“I’ll get the school picture from the hall.” Daryl said as he patted Donna’s shoulder and got out. Donna sighed seeing that Daryl’s mom Jennifer was still there. Not wanting to risk it and have Jennifer tell her how horrible a mom she was Donna stayed in the car. Thankfully Daryl didn’t take long and he rushed back to the car with Alison’s school picture.

“Got it.” He said as he put the car in reverse and raced back to the Detectives office.

“Daryl?” Donna began, fiddling with the hem of her skirt.

“Yeah?” Daryl asked looking concerned at the shake in Donna’s voice.

“I feel as if I could have prevented this…” She trailed off and lost control of her voice as it started to crack.

“What?” Daryl said, completely shocked. “How could you? It’s not like you knew it was going to happen.” He finished. A warm tear trickled down Donna’s cheek.

“There was a man that held me up at the office.” She said fighting the tears.

“I see where you’re going but Donna there’s nothing you could have done.” Daryl said as he glanced at his wife.

“If only I didn’t answer the phone.”

“Donna you’re not listening…”

“Or hanged up on- on- on him” Donna was beginning to loose control.

“Sweetie it’s your job to talk with…”

“He didn’t even want my h-help.” Tears now poured as Donna remembered how the man rudely hanged up on her.

“Donna stop!” Daryl shouted. Donna gasped as Daryl slammed on the breaks. “There was nothing you could have done, you did your job and some jackass off the street kidnapped our daughter. Let’s try to focus on finding her not mourning in self doubt.”

He finished breathing heavy. Donna was shaking from Daryl’s sudden out break but knew he was right. She just had to talk to someone about it before she exploded from guilt.

Daryl pulled into the detective’s parking lot his breathing subsided. Donna opened the door as soon as the car came to a stop, Daryl was right after her. They briskly walked up to the front door, with Daryl putting his hand on the small of her back guiding her into the office. As they walked in Detective Max crossed the waiting room rambling on a cell phone. He made eye contact with Daryl and motioned them to follow. Sitting in the two chairs across from Detective Max’s desk Donna grabbed Daryl’s sweaty hand. He looked over and gave a reassuring smile.

“This is gonna work baby.” Daryl whispered. Donna’s stomach dropped because the statement didn’t meet his eyes.

“Daryl…” Donna began but was cut off by Detective Max.

“Got the picture?” Detective Max asked as he put his phone in his pocket. Daryl handed him the picture. Max took it and looked it over.

“Great, this will be up on the evening news and if possible some billboards with height weight eye color ect.” He looked up and smiled, apparently happy that the business was now settled. This made Donna immediately fire up.

“Well now what?” Donna snapped glaring at Detective Max. Daryl had now let go of Donna’s hand and was leaning forward in his chair. Detective Max raised an eyebrow.

“The search and rescue team is already out.” He responded. Donna was lost for words. Daryl was gripping the arms of the chair.

“Dam well better be.” Daryl growled. “Now what the hell are we supposed to do?” He asked, glaring at the Detective.

“Well Mr. and Mrs. Kinko…” Detective Max began.

“Daryl and Donna if you don’t mind.” Daryl interrupted.

“Of course, Daryl you and your wife, well all you can do is wait and…” Donna shot up out of her seat. She couldn’t believe what she was hearing.

“And pray?” She asked outraged. Donna’s hands were shaking and Detective Max was now standing which in turn got Daryl out of his chair. “Max I really hope you don’t expect us to do nothing?” she asked.

“Of course not.” He responded.

“I have given up on the idea of praying Max, because for the last 14 years I have asked God to keep my family safe…” She paused, tears building up in her eyes. “And this h-h-happens!” she shrieked. Daryl wrapped his arm around Donna’s shoulders as she fought hard to stay in control

“We will help look for her Max.” Daryl stated as he glared at Max.

“I’m sorry but I can’t allow you to do that.” Max replied very calmly.

“Excuse me?” Daryl asked.

“Daryl I’m not saying you and your wife are not capable, but it is against search and rescue’s rules to allow the family to help.” Max argued his eyes flaring with a new found anger.

“But…”Daryl began to argue, but Max held up a hand.

“No I forbid it, you could unknowingly tamper evidence.” Max put his hands in his pockets ending the argument. The look Daryl gave him was venomous. Donna was still fighting back tears. She couldn’t believe they were rendered helpless in the search for their daughter.

“You two can however, stay at the teams meeting site to talk to news crews to get the word out. You’ll be the very first to know if we find her.” Max finished with a reassuring smile.

“If?” Donna chocked out, clutching to Daryl.

“Well no matter how unfortunate it may be but I’m required by law to tell you that the chances of finding your daughter after the first 24 hours are slim.” Donna gasped “Slim but not impossible.” He finished. Daryl nodded.

“The search team have blood hounds around the area the back pack was found.” Max began. “Here’s my card if you can think of anything that would help the search.” Max handed Donna a card. “We’ll call you as soon as base camp is set up.” Max smiled and crossed the room and opened the door. Daryl and Max shook hands and Donna whispered “Thank you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok ok now don't get cross, you had to know what was going on in the
search for Alison, how else will she be found? hmmm....

Anyway stay tuned!!! Next ch is the bathroom window unlocked? Do they escape?

Haha that reminded me of a song "She came in through the bathroom window."

Well Comment please!!
Sub if your new and like it!
Peace and luv