Status: Complete!

Two Sides of the Same Story

Thirteen.

I woke up with a tattooed arm around my waist, and it didn’t look like I was going to get up anytime soon.

“Don’t even think about getting up.” Zacky murmured into my hair. He pulled me up onto his chest and wrapped his arms securely around my waist.

“Says who?” I asked.

“Me.”

I laughed, laying my head back onto his chest. The truth was I had waked up with a horrible headache and bad stomach pains. All I wanted to do is get into a hot shower. Do you ever get those feelings when you fell something bad is going to happen, but don’t know what? That’s what I’m, also, feeling.

“I need to get a shower.” I stated.

“That’s what you think. I’m not letting you up.” He replied.

I put one of the cutest pouts I could muster up on my face. “Pwease?” I asked, batting my eyelashes.

He chuckled, kissing my forehead. “I guess. We have to meet everybody in the lobby for breakfast anyway.” I nodded, before looking through my suitcase for a pair of skinny jeans and a tank.

I walked into the bathroom and closed the door behind me. I desperately started to look through the medicine for any Advil of sorts, nothing. I was starting to get dizzy and my head was pounding.

“Loree, I’ll meet you down in the lobby.” Zacky called. I didn’t even bother to reply and stepped into the shower, and let the warm water cascade down my body.

I tried to think of what could possibly be wrong. If anything would’ve happened I’d at least get a call from Clara or Rob’s wife, Leah. I shook my head, now trying to get rid of the thoughts.

I stepped out of the shower, grabbing the closest towel. The warm water didn’t help my head at all; it actually had made it worse. Just fucking great. I heard a knock on the hotel door, I’d told them I’d be there in a minute trying to wiggle into my jeans.

I walked over to the door and opened it.

“Alan? What are you doing here?” I asked. In front of me stood Alan, in his Army uniform with a blank expression on his face.

“I’m so sorry, Loree.” He said, handing me the letter in hand. I furrowed my eyebrows, opening the letter.

Dear Ms. Lorelei Sanders,

The Department of the Army deeply regrets to inform you that your brother, Private First Class, Robert E. Sanders, U.S. Army was killed in action in the performance of his duty and in the service of his country.

The department extends to you its sincere sympathy in your great loss.

Sincerely,

General David R. Cook
Chief of the Army


I looked up at Alan, who only nodded, tears started to form in my eye, this couldn’t be happening.

“No, no, no, no, no.” I watched as a tear made its way down Alan’s right cheek. I choked out a loud sob, falling to the ground only to be caught into Alan’s strong arms.

We stood in the doorway as I sobbed into his chest.

“He would’ve wanted you to have these.” Alan spoke. I watched through clouded eyes, as he reached into his pocket, pulling out Rob’s dog tags. I let another sob, as he placed them around my neck.

“Let’s get you home.” He murmured. He lifted me up as if I was an infant, and we started towards the elevator.