World I Never Knew

I'll Stand By You

Angela sat on the bed in the guest bedroom of the Jonas household. From the window she could see the beauty that was Southern California. She stiffened when she heard a shuffling in the hallway and a light rapping on the door.

“Come in.” she said softly. The door creaked open and Joe’s mother poked her head in. “Hi Mrs. Jonas.”

“Call me Denise, honey.” She said, gently sitting on the bed next to her. “It’s beautiful, isn’t it?” she asked looking out the window.

“Very.” Angela agreed, nodding her head. A few tears falling down her face. Denise leaned over and noticed.

“Aw, sweetie, what’s wrong?” Denise asked, wrapping an arm around Angela’s shoulders.

“Mike always wanted to go to California.” Angela whispered.

“Who’s Mike?”

“My brother.”

“You have a brother?” Denise asked with surprise.

“I had a brother. He passed away a few years ago from leukemia. We had the money but he was too sick to travel.”

“Oh no,” Denise whispered, pulling Angela into her warm comfort. She rubbed her hands in circles along Angela’s back to soothe her. It was silent for a few moments as Angela took the time to calm down.

“I’m sorry.” Angela said, pulling away.

“What are you apologizing for?”

“You’re so kind to let me come along with you and I’m just this big burden. I can’t imagine the security measures you’re going to now that I’m here.”

“Honey, I can assure you that it’s been crazier.” Denise said, giving her a tight hug. “How about tomorrow you come to the mall with Danielle and I. You need some suitable clothes for California and I’m sure it will be nice to have something new for a change.”

“I don’t know.” Angela said, lowering her gaze to her hands.

“I promise everything will be fine.” Denise said putting her hand on top of Angela’s.

“Alright. I’ll go.”

“Just us girls.” Denise said with a smile. “Dinner’s almost ready.”

She got up and left the room. Angela sat in the silence for a few moments. The sounds of laughter carried up the stairs into Angela’s ears. She could distinctly pick out Joe’s laugh. Just then she heard someone rushing up the stairs and turned her body to the door, wiping the tears from her eyes.

“Ang, come on!” Joe said, running into the room. “Dinner’s ready and if we don’t get down there Nick and Frankie are going to eat it all!”

He rushed over and pulled her up by the hand. She laughed as he turned and brought her out of the room. She put her other hand on his wrist and he stopped and turned to look at her, a smile on his flushed face.

“What’s up?” he asked.

“Nothing.” She said, shrugging her shoulders. “”I love you, you know that?”

“Yeah,” he said, walking closer to her, taking her other hand in his. “I love you too.”

“This is going to work right?” she whispered, biting her lip.

“Of course it will. You don’t have to be scared. I won’t let anybody hurt you. I’ll stand by you.” He said, running a hand through her thin hair and sliding it down her scarred face softly. “Come on, let’s go eat.”

****

Angela left the house decked out in long sleeves and a scarf wrapped around her face, a hat on the top of her head and large sunglasses. She, Denise, and Danielle went to the nearest mall while the boys were at a rehearsal for the Christmas Extravaganza Disney was throwing. It was inevitable that the paparazzi would follow them. Angela was startled at first but then she came to the conclusion that this was how life was going to be now. It wasn’t going to be a world of living alone and not having any surprises. Things were going to be changing constantly and she was starting to accept that. It was just the fear of possibly being ridiculed that still had her worrying.

The three of them went from store to store looking for clothes for Angela. She was actually having fun spending time with the first two women ever since her mother had passed away. They made their way to the mall exit, a cloud of paparazzi surrounding the doors. Angela made sure the hat and scarf were on her face just right before placing the sunglasses over her eyes. Rob went ahead and opened the doors allowing the three women to walk out.

A large gust of wind came, swooping up Angela’s scarf. She desperately reached for it but the wind carried it away. Pandemonium ensued. Flash after flash went off as the photographers went crazy and Rob tried to hurry Angela to the car with Denise and Danielle trailing behind.

“What happened to your face?”

“What’s your name?”

“Are you dating one of the brothers?”

“Is it Joe?”

“Where are from?”

“Were you on vacation with Joe?”

The noise stopped as soon as the car door shut. Angela’s body was shaking hysterically as the tears poured. Danielle wrapped her arms around Angela’s shoulders as Denise pulled out her cell phone. Rob started the car and made his way out of the mall parking lot.

“Hi sweetheart,” Denise said into the phone. “We have an issue… Angela’s scarf flew off and the paparazzi got pictures…”

What?!

Danielle and Angela looked up as Denise pulled the phone away from her ear. She gave Angela a sympathetic look before cautiously bringing it back to continue talking to her husband.

“Tell Joseph to calm down… Alright… Yes… We’ll meet you at the venue… Okay… Bye.” She said before hanging up the phone.

“It’s alright,” Danielle said soothingly, smoothing down Angela’s hair. “It will all be alright.”

She glanced over her shoulder at Denise who had a solemn look on her face. Rob drove along as quickly as he could to the venue. They all hoped that none of the paparazzi were able to follow.

****

Joe stood just inside the venue’s entrance tapping his foot on the floor anxiously waiting for Angela’s arrival. He saw one of the security guys move towards the door and instantly Joe was on his heels. The guys’ arm flung out stopping Joe from leaving the venue as he opened the door. Joe saw Rob park the car and climb out, leading Angela along with his mother and sister-in-law into the venue.

Once Angela was inside Joe’s arms were around her within an instant. She completely relinquished her body to him as he comforted her. Her body shook with the sobs rippling down her back, staining his shirt with her tears. The rest of the Jonas’ flocked to their side and there was a lot of incomprehensible chatter.

“Dad.” Joe said, trying to get his father’s attention. He was too busy talking to Rob. “Dad!” he said again, turning his head away from Angela’s ears. Everyone was talking at once. It was too hard to hear. “QUIET!” Joe shouted. His whole family turned to look at him. “Dad, is there some kind of damage control we can do? Something. Anything?”

“Joe, I don’t think there is. I think we’re going to have to face this.” Kevin Sr. said; a serious look on his face. “You have an interview tomorrow. Things have got to be cleared up. Angela, I’m sorry but… it looks like you’re going to be in the public eye a lot sooner than we all thought.”

“Everything will be alright.” Joe whispered in her ear. “Like I said, I’ll stand by you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So I got the title inspiration and Joe's line near the beginning after listening to the Glee version of I'll Stand By You a couple of times. :D I love it.

Only a few more chapters left! :o

Now's the time to start leaving comments letting me know what you think and what may happen and all that beautiful jazz XD

Thanks so much for reading!

~Steph <3