Sequel: Kickstart My Heart

Chicks=Trouble

Honeymoons & Breakups

Leanne watched as Brian pulled on a pair of jeans and walked from the room. She sighed as she stood and grabbed the sheet wrapping it around her. She followed him out of the room and into the hallway. He stopped and turned to face her, she was suddenly scared about what he had to say. He looked at her and she suddenly wanted to cry, after last night he was going to break her heart.

“Brian what’s wrong?”

“Leanne… he scrubbed his hands over his face and she moved slowly toward him. He didn’t move watching her as she moved she made sure that the sheet wouldn’t fall. She touched his arm gently as she began to speak.

“What’s wrong?” She asked again not entirely sure that she wanted to know the answer.

“I’m confused.”

“About what? Brian you can talk to me. Otherwise, this, us isn’t going to work. We have to trust one another.”

“Can we go downstairs and talk?”

“Yeah…” She glanced down at the sheet, it was this or her dress. She followed him downstairs and as he sat on a barstool in the kitchen she leaned against the counter. The cell phone that she had left down stairs last night was blinking like a Christmas light. She turned it off. Even though she would rather answer that than face what she thought Brian was about to say. She looked at him and knew that they had to start somewhere. So she spoke first.

“What are you confused about Brian?”

“Us, you, me, I don’t know. It’s the fact that every time I see you my first thought is to get you naked. I say I love you, but is it really love? None of this is your fault Lea…”

“How can you say that? It’s like your saying it’s just sex. It’s not, I love you more than anything.” The tears began to fall with each word that she spoke. He moved to stand in front of her and he reached for her and she looked at him.

“Lea, don’t cry please…”

“Don’t touch me, don’t fucking touch me! Grams was right. You never fucking cared about me. I gave you my heart and you break it.” and somehow she managed to get back in her dress and out the door, and not forget her phone within half an hour. She had obviously ridden to his place with him so she was walking, carrying her heels, her hair was a mess and she had yesterday’s mascara running down her face. She pulled her phone out and called Dru. Twenty minutes later her friend picked her up and they headed to her place above Midnight Black. Ten minutes after that Andrea was passing a beer across the bar to Leanne as she sat there in Dru’s light blue ‘I need therapy’ Baby Tee and a pair of jeans. She was thankful at that moment for the fact that she and her friend wore the same size clothes. She looked at Dru as she sat beside her. Leanne had her heels on and her head on the bar, beer in hand.

“Wanna talk about it?”

“Not yet.”

“If I don’t get out of you what happened I’m going to get Brian’s phone number and I’m going to call him. Don’t think I won’t Leanne Hathaway.”

“Dru, it’s Jake all over again.”

“I’m sure it’s not.”

“Yes it is, I got the ‘I need space’ line.”

“Oh shit. Good thing Jacey and Jessica aren’t here.”

“Yeah but I still have to face Grams.”

“I have a couch.”

“Thanks but I need to face her.”

“If your sure.”

“I am”

“Well couch is yours if you want it.”

“Thanks Dru.”

---In Hawaii---

Jessica was grinning as she let Zack wrap his arms around her from behind. She leaned back against him and glanced over at what she currently considered her mirror image. She grinned at Jacey who grinned back. They were having dinner together that night and then they were gonna avoid one another for the next two weeks, unless for some reason they ran into one another somewhere.

Matt and Jacey smiled at one another as they made their way back to their private getaway for the next two weeks. They had a private beach and beach house that was secluded from all the others in the area. Their closet neighbor was two miles away and that was Jessica and Zack, so they weren’t worried about that. For two weeks both couples spent it in their significant others arms. The two couples worried about nothing for the next two weeks except making their husband or wife happy. There was nothing more important to any of them for those two weeks. Although the day that they left and got back to California was going to be a pain in the ass for them.

---California---

Leanne stood in her bedroom at her grandmothers house the morning that her sister and brother in law were supposed to come back and sighed. She pulled clothes on mechanically. She looked up from brushing her hair when her grandmother knocked on the door. She told her it was open and her Grams rested her hands on her shoulders and then took the brush from her. Leanne was sitting on the stool in front of her vanity. Ada slowly began to brush her granddaughters hair and Lea wiped tears from her eyes.

“Are you alright sweetie?”

“I’m fine Grams, honest.” Lea said not meeting her grandmother’s eyes in the mirror. Ada pulled Lea’s hair back at the nape of her neck and they both jumped when there was a knock at the front door. Lea looked at her grandmother. And Ada walked downstairs and Lea stayed upstairs and sat at the top of the stairs where she wouldn’t be seen. Both women had a feeling that they knew who it was. Ada answered the door with a cold look on her face.

“What are you doing here?”

“I need to talk to Leanne…”

“Don’t you think you’ve done enough?” Ada demanded. Leanne tried not to make a sound as she sat and listened to what her Grams’ said. They had done this before with Jake. “You go and break my grandbaby’s heart and now you want to talk to her?”

“Mrs. Hathaway you have every right to be pissed off at me. Hell I’m pissed off at me. And I know I’ve given you reason not to like me, but I had to figure out where I stood. I know that doesn’t look good on me, but look, I really need to talk to…Lea…” Ada turned as his eyes landed on the stairs. Leanne was standing at the top of them eyes red from crying.

“It’s okay Grams…”

“I’ll be outside if you need me Leanne.”

“Okay” she replied as she walked down the stairs. She looked at Brian and after Ada shut the door behind him she looked up into his eyes and asked a simple question. “What do you think when you look at me Brian?”

“A woman that I hurt, the woman that I love crying because I pushed her away. When I could’ve figured things out just as easily with you there, than gone. I see my weakness.” he said and she choked back the tears.

“And that other thing?” She asked quietly.

“Still there, but not the first thing anymore.”

“You hurt me Brian.”

“I know and I’m sorry, please Lea, give me a chance to…” He was cut off as she leaned up and kissed him. She pulled back.

“I’m not big on second chances Brian.” She said looking at him. “But, you’re worth a second chance. I never complained about the sex, trust me if I didn’t love you, you wouldn’t have gotten any. But next time, please don’t push me away.”

“Then I better tell you now, I won’t cheat on you, but I am afraid of commitment.”

“It’s not like we’re getting married Brian…”

“No, but uhm…”

“Brian…”

“I want you to move in with me.” Her eyes sparkled either from the tears or the light now shining in them, he couldn’t decide but her smile was in them.

“I thought you were afraid of commitment.”

“I am, help me get over it.”

“This is your last chance Brian, fuck up again and there won’t be another one.”

“I plan on making this chance last a very long time.” He said as she wrapped her arms around him and she cried on his shoulder happily.