Status: Active

Say Your Prayers, You're Really Gonna Need Them.

Open your eyes,

★ ★ ★ - Indicates point of view change.

★★★

After a patchy night’s sleep I was back in college, feeling a little worse for wear.

My second class was English and as I took my seat I instantly noticed Megan’s tired but happy secret smile.

“Spill.” I smiled genially as I sat down behind her, she turned to look me in the eyes, the warmness of her face radiating towards me.

“What do you mean?” she grinned, trying hard to keep contained.

“Oh don’t be so coy, you look like the cat that’s got the cream... I’ve seen that expression etched over Ellen’s face enough to know what it means.” I scoffed.

Megan smiled again wryly; I was worried that we were beginning to look like idiots with mirroring faces before Megan’s smile dropped and her expression became suddenly nearing on serious.“Ok, but can you keep this just between us because I don’t know what to make of it myself yet.”

“Ohh-kay?” I replied with serious curiosity.

“I think... Well I’m pretty sure, I’ve got a new boyfriend.”

“Why is this such a big deal?” I frowned.

“Because I don’t know where I stand yet, so I don’t want to be blowing this out of proportion.”

“Fair enough... So, what’s this mystery man like?” I asked as I leant back in my chair to evaluate Megan’s poise.The smile returned to her lips before she began going sappy, “His names Marc, I met him at a party. He’s 20 and just... drop dead gorgeous.” She gushed.

Just as those words left her lips Ellen came bounding in, red faced and panting, she was appointed a stern glance from our lecturer before plunking herself down in a seat next to me with grin, automatically triggering a serious look from Megan as if to say ‘zip it’, which I obliged.

“Hey,” Ellen whispered, “What’ve I missed?”

Megan and I shared a glance before she spoke, “Nothing my dear, any news to deliver?”
Ellen looked up thoughtfully.

“Clubbing on Friday?” she smirked before looking at both of us, “Margo Nafume is going to be there.”

“Oh my god I haven’t seen her in forever.” I breathed with a smile.

“Same.” Megan agreed.

“Yeah well she got ‘removed’ from her last college, so she’s transferring over to here... it was pretty late, but our college decided to let her in and she thought it would be good to see everyone first before just turning up here, so it’s a win-win situation really.” Ellen smiled as she sat back clearly satisfied to of been the bearer of unheard news.

“Yeah should be good.” I nodded before zoning out to think, I couldn't believe Margo would be coming back, I hadn’t seen her since our third year of secondary school when she had moved to another town with her family. It had been rumoured she was coming back, looked like those rumours were true.

I was suddenly aware of Ellen hand waving in front of my face, which brought me out of my daydreaming.

“What?” I mumbled irritably.

“Urgh, keep your hair on... I was saying that Friday night we can all meet round mine before hand for a drink a catch up, Megan’s up for, you in?”

“Oh, yeah sure.” I nodded, fluffing up my thick hair a little.

“Cool.”

Class was pretty slow; I didn’t actually pay the blind bit of attention which seemed to be the way the past few weeks.

After it was over Ellen and I grabbed something to eat from the college cafe and spent an hour or so on the campus’ grass, eating and chatting with a few other friends.

It was here she cornered me over Harlan again,

“So have you seen him?” she asked, causing an instant uneasiness to wash over me.
But instead of her usual pushy tone, it was one of concern.

“No,” I shrugged peering down at the grass, “Nothing yet.”Ellen nodded simply and said nothing else, that which surprised me immensely.

The sun’s warm rays were beating down over the grass, making flecks in the green that shone bright like stars, but even then there was a cool chill to the air, it made me shiver slightly.

Ellen decided to come home with me that afternoon to chill out at mine, I was glad for the company.

Once we got home I called my mother, letting her speak to Ellen for a quick moment before we crashed in the front room watching talk shows and bland daytime television.

We were in the kitchen cooking at around seven when Ellen’s phone rang, I waved her off indicating that I was quite capable of cooking chicken without her hovering and she excused herself.

I could tell straight away who it was by the volume and tone of Ellen’s ever angering voice, Joe was clearly working on her last nerve.

As I stirred the sauce into the pan I couldn't help but muse out, I was aware of Ellen’s voice getting louder and the sizzling of the chicken but what held my mental thoughts was Megan, if she was so happy... why did she look as though she hasn’t slept in days?

I was just about to put my large wooden spoon down when something through the kitchens door caught my eye, something was out there.I couldn't even stop the little shriek that came out of mouth, dropping the spoon on the floor I took a quick step back trying to compose myself.

My eyes remained firmly fixed on the window and it wasn't long before Ellen came rushing out, phone in hand to check what was wrong.

“Joe I’ve got to go,” She said firmly before hanging up. “What’s wrong?!” she shouted, hands up in the air.

“Urgh.” I replied, putting my hand to my forehead before rubbing my whole face exasperatedly.

“Well?” Ellen asked.

“I thought,” I sighed, “I could have sworn I saw something outside, at the window.” I replied before pointing at the other end of the kitchen.

Ellen strode over to the door, before waving her hand for me to shut off the light.

Once we were in the dark, apart from the cookers flame she looked outside again.

“Can’t see anything, it was probably just a fox.” She decided before pulling the blinds.

“A 6-foot fox?” I muttered sarcastically, switching the light back on.

Ellen shot me a warning look before I held my hands up.

“You’re probably right.” I nodded, causing Ellen to laugh.

“All this time alone and you’re beginning to crack up, you want me to stay tonight?”

I stirred the chicken again absentmindedly, before looking up at her; she looked more concerned than ever.

“Yeah, I would really appreciate it actually.” I smiled tiredly and she nodded, putting a thumb up in an ‘it’s all good’ signal.
I dished up the food about 20 minutes later and we sat back down in front of the TV just in time for a film, for once we decided on a comedy, something light hearted to keep me from drowning myself in my dinner.

Or at least I'm guessing that was what Ellen was hoping to prevent, but it wasn't until we were washing up our plates that Ellen told me what was on her mind.

“What’s going on with you?”

“What do you mean?” I frowned, squirting washing up liquid onto the plates.

“I get worried sometimes, I mean I know I don’t always show it... but I am; what are you bottling up?” she replied, folding her arms over her chest in a very motherly gesture.

I stood back from the sink to look at her, “Nothing.” I replied with the most sincere sounding tone of voice I could muster, but by the arching of Ellen’s left eyebrow she wasn't convinced.

“How am I expected to aid my best friend if she won’t even let me help?” she sighed.

Ouch, the best friend card.

I took a deep breath, “It’s honestly nothing, I miss my mum and this whole thing with Harlan is working on my last nerve.” I replied, placing the last clean plate on the drying rack.

Ellen nodded, “I thought it might of been Mr Harlan.”

I shrugged, before hanging up the tea-towel and turning to face Ellen again.

“It’s silly okay? You honestly don’t need to worry; I’ll probably never see him again.”

“Why do you think that?” Ellen frowned.

“I don’t know... I'm just hoping it means I won’t have to speak about him anymore.” I smiled tiredly.

“Ok for once I will take this hint and leave you alone.”

“All hail the queen Ellen,” I rolled my eyes whilst mock bowing, “Thank you.” I smiled.

Ellen just laughed before giving me a playful shove, “You’re welcome.” She replied as we walked back to the living room to sit and relax.

But I couldn't relax, at least not properly; by this point in the evening Ellen and I had changed into pyjamas and were sitting under a throw on the couch watching a horror and as normal as it was... it still wasn't normal enough for me to calm my heart.
♠ ♠ ♠
Long chapter for the weekend! I hope you enjoyed it.

And can i just say a massive thank you to all those who commented, reading them and hearing your opinions made me so happy!

Comment and subscribe please?
Thank you!