Status: Active

Say Your Prayers, You're Really Gonna Need Them.

She shakes your soul up through the ceiling,

★ ★ ★ - Indicates point of view change.

-

That night once in bed I was as usual left listening to Ellen’s breathing as she slept soundly, whilst I was left to stare at the ceiling, the light from the outside streaming in through the windows illuminating the room even if only slightly, causing patterns to swirl over the white aertex of the ceiling and walls.

I took a deep breath before rolling over so that I was now staring at the back of Ellen’s head, her brown hair elucidated by the moon’s shine.

I was suddenly aware of just how uncomfortable I really was, shifting and shoving not helping me at all and so with that in mind, I shimmied down the bed as carefully as I could so as not to wake Ellen and stood, before walking out the door and down the hallway quietly.

Upon entering the kitchen I flicked the kettle on and opted for hot chocolate, there was no way I was going to wake Ellen up to offer her some as I would never hear the end of disturbing her heavy sleep.

I opened the garden door, steaming mug in hand and sat myself down on the door step.

Pulling down my sleeves so my hands were covered I perched a cigarette between my lips and lit it.

As pathetic as it sounds the smoke actually calmed me instantly, I was too busy having a slight head rush from sudden nicotine levels to notice anything that might put me on edge.

A sudden chill rushed over my body causing me to exhale quicker, the smoke from my lips dancing off in the breezes direction.

I looked around my garden, most of it concealed under shadows making it almost impossible to see.
But just like before, just like so often these days I felt as though I wasn't alone, and as frightened as I was I swallowed the fear down and took a deep breath.

“Hello?” I whispered to the night, closing my eyes and expecting to open them and see a forty foot monster standing over me.

But when my lids separated I saw nothing, no monster, just the swaying leaves in the trees and the bushes.

“If you’re there just show yourself, this is getting tiresome.” I spoke again, my voice getting strained and cracked from the fear that I was trying to hide.

But there was once again no reply, nothing other than the sounds of nature and even those were sleepy.

I chucked my cigarette butt and stood, brushing off the back of my legs with the hand that wasn't holding my cooling mug of chocolate.

Opening my door I was immediately greeted with a warmer temperature, so much that it made me shiver from sheer difference.

I was just about to shut the door when for a split second I thought I heard a laugh, one that sounded rich with amusement.

Was I going crazy?

I didn’t know, but I wasn't about to find out.

Closing the door hastily, I turned the lock, shutting whatever it was out with the darkness.

-

“Wake up bitch!” Ellen’s voice pounded through my brain, making me wince and open my eyes.

She was already dressed, two steamy cups in hand; placing one on the dresser and keeping one for
herself she took a sip and sat herself down next to me.

“What time is it?” I croaked before clearing my throat.

“A little before seven” she smiled.

“Are you joking? My first class isn’t until ten... I could of stayed in bed for another hour.” I whined, pushing my head, face first into the pillow.

“Yes but I thought we could go get breakfast... I’m in the mood for croissants.” She replied, I could hear the smile in her voice.

“What is this, a romantic getaway? Are you my wife?” I barked irritably.

“Oh please, if I batted for the other team Ruse I would not have you as my romantic interest.” She laughed before tapping me on the shoulder and passing me a mug of black coffee.

“Since when did you drink coffee?” I asked leaning back on my elbow and taking a sip of the coffee.

“I don’t, see tea?” she smiled, brandishing her cup for me to look in.

“Yeah,” I said, pulling a sour face “I can tell you don’t go near coffee often.”

“Well I didn’t have to make it for you; it was a gesture of good will.” She harrumphed, jumping to her feet with an angry expression.

“Now you really do sound like a wife scorned.” I laughed.

“Oh blow it out your ear, and hurry up, I’ll be downstairs.” She replied huffily before leaving.

“Yes sir.” I shouted after her, before placing the mug on my window sill and stretching lazily.

It’s too early for this shit.

I was ready around 7:45, after almost falling asleep in the shower.

Pulling on some leggings I opted for a long sleeved thick jumper-dress and some boots, it wasn't cutting edge fashion, but I was practically in a coma so I excused myself.

I filled my bag with what I would need for the day and was greeted by Ellen in the kitchen coming in from the garden with a guilty expression.

“I borrowed one of your cigarettes...” she said with a meek smile.

“Thought you gave up?” I asked with mock authority.

“That was then, this is now,” She smiled “but I’ll be buying a pack on the way to college so rest assure you will get that cigarette back with interest.”

“I’m actually bothered, but that’s very kind of you Ellen... which is making me think... coffee... cigarettes... what have you broken or done which means you have to be overly nice to me?” I asked, my eyebrows rising in suspicion.

Ellen didn’t say anything and instead opted to give me the finger, which I just rolled my eyes to.
We stopped off in a little cafe on the way to college, Ellen indeed getting those croissants she wanted.

I didn’t know what I wanted, so in the end just ordered a coffee to go and a breakfast bap? Sounds unappealing I know, but turns out its just bacon and egg in bread.

After wolfing those down we carried on to college, making it with half an hour to spare.

We sat down at our usual place, whilst waiting for other of our friends to make an appearance.

Ellen handed me a cigarette just like she promised and I couldn't help laying my head back onto the grass and watching the puffy white clouds literally race past in the sky, the wind helping them along in their journey.

The first few people to turn up were Joe and a couple of his friends, I ended up speaking to Wayne which was pretty strange as we hadn’t really spoken for weeks, not since I had gotten ill.

After a normal conversation I was pretty shocked when he suddenly asked me about Harlan.

“Yeah I saw you with him a few times; he was in my art class.” He shrugged.

“Oh, I didn’t know what classes he did... I haven’t seen him for almost a month now actually.”
I frowned, realizing that it would in fact be the case of a month once Saturday reared its head.

“Something about him always gave me the jitters; I could never place my finger on why.” He resounded just as the bell went signalling a new period.

I said my goodbyes to everyone before heading towards my history of art lesson, by far my most tedious of classes, but something that I had to take mandatorily with basic art.

It was held in the art block and as I took my seat at the back, next to my class friend Shelby I huffed with dissatisfaction.

“Why is it that whenever you see me you always have a face like a smacked arse?” Shelby asked, fixing me with an icy stare, the perfect kind being that her eyes were the colour of grey skies.

“Because Shelby, whenever I see you I’m in this class and this class is the bane of my life... you need to start seeing me out of this room and then I would have a face like a happily lit light bulb whenever you graced my presence.” I replied with a smile.

“Hmm... I’ll bear that in mind,” she nodded before flicking her long poker-straight black hair over her shoulder. “With that said what are you doing Friday?” she asked.

“I’m going clubbing, which I hope will actually mean a more upbeat bar as opposed to an actual club... you should come?” I replied.

Shelby looked thoughtful for a moment and after a few seconds ticked by she actually nodded, which made my mouth go slack and hang wide open.

“Sounds good actually, I’m in the mood for a night out.” She smiled.

“Yes!” I grinned. “I can’t believe you’ll actually come, we’re all meeting at Ellen’s so give me a call before hand and I can give you the address.”

Shelby nodded and I was about to say something when I was interrupted by the sound of our teachers voice sounding out.

“Miss Salvin, if you and Miss Gort are quite done I can begin?” Mr Sanjeez boomed irritably.

“Sorry.” we both mumbled in union.

Mr Sanjeez only nodded before turning to address the whole class.

The class as I aforementioned was boring, I spent the latter duration of it spacing as far out as I possibly could, without drooling.

But I was mildly horrified when a hand slammed down onto the desk in front of me, rousing me completely from any dream state I had originally managed to muster up.

It turned out the hand in question belonged to Mr Sanjeez and I spent a good few seconds staring at its offensive demeanour before actually looking up to his face.

“Tell me Ruse, why is it you waste both of our times even coming to this class?” he asked angrily, using his hand to now gesture towards my notebook.

I followed his lead and peered down, the fresh crispy white page of my notebook, unblemished and neglected... I hadn’t even written the date.

I looked back up at Mr Sanjeez and said nothing for a moment, it was during this time that I became aware of the vein that was all but bulging out of his forehead, and his skin was almost the same colour as a red lobster, which was actually the perfect complement to the bulging bright whites of his eyes.

“Because I wanted to take art, and it's mandatory that with art you take art history?” I replied with a weak smile.

I wasn't trying to be cheeky but I knew that as soon as these words escaped I had somehow managed to offend him further.

But he didn’t reply, just shook his head angrily with an audible tut before storming off in a fume, leaving me to sigh and push all my books back into my bag, just in time for the bell to go signalling end of class.

The day went quickly after my first lessons mishap, I took nothing in education wise and still my brain managed to feel sickeningly clogged.

I even opted to walk home, hoping through some miracle that it would help to clear my head.
It was only 6 pm, but never the less the sky was beginning to become dark in the increase of autumn.

Staying to the back roads I still kept my guard up, there was no way I was going to become the next victim on some crazed murders list, God knows I’d gone through too much shit the past couple of months to give up that easily to some psycho.

But it seemed that as soon as those thoughts were conjured up my subconscious, something in the air changed.

The weather, no longer hazy and undecided became noticeably cold.

I pulled my leather jacket up closer around me and shifted my bag so that it wasn't dislocating my shoulder before pushing my feet ever more forward, even when they seemed to scream with protest.

What’s wrong with you Ruse?

I asked myself stupidly, I was freaking out over something as trivial as a gust of wind and even I know that isn’t something to be remotely proud of... unless you’re a weather woman.

But I didn’t know what it was, there was something here in this deserted street with me, but I couldn't put my finger on what.

There’s something going on in Equishire, and it's more than just the body count.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey you guys, hope you liked this chapter... it's a long oneee!

I know it seems like a while since we've seen Harlan properly but my god, does it make up for his absence when he comes backkkkkk!

Comments and Subscribers are as you all know, hugely appreciated!