Status: Active

Say Your Prayers, You're Really Gonna Need Them.

i've got the mood set, half past midnight,

★ ★ ★ - Indicates point of view change.

I never mentioned the whole escapade to my friends, who were far too wrapped up in the evening’s festivities anyway.

The whole night was spent with me on autopilot, not taking anything in whilst as much to Verity’s surprise, a raucous party ensued.

Half way through the evening I glanced over at Megan, who was huddled in the corner with a boy.

Smiling slightly, I decided to meet the new mystery man for myself and as I moved through the throng of people to reach them I watched as Megan’s boyfriends back stiffened, and in the next instant had rushed away from her swiftly, before I had my chance to arrive.

She saw me moments after his departure with a beaming smile, “Shoot, I came all the way over here to see him and he sneaked off.” I grinned.

“Yeah, I’m sorry he just had some stuff to do, so he’s gone home now.” She mock pouted.

“Oh well, there’s always next time huh?” I smiled, before taking her hand and pushing through to Verity’s laundry room to retrieve our drinks, which we had cleverly hidden from greedy eyes.

As we poured, we chatted about trivial things until a tipsy Ellen pushed through the door, making us both jump and fixed us both with a capricious smile.

“Oh Ruse.” Ellen sung.

Megan and I fixed each other with a look, before I spoke.

“Yes, Ellen?” I smiled.

“Someone is here to see you.” She giggled, making my face drain of colour.

She pointed back inside to the loud party, and laughed again, whilst Megan frowned.

“Who?” Megan asked, before Ellen rushed over to tell her as I pulled the door open and with a drink in hand went to find who I thought wouldn’t show.

I’d been looking for almost ten minutes now and I couldn't find him.

Now Verity’s house was big, but still I couldn't quite comprehend how you could lose someone inside its walls, but apparently you could.

Walking upstairs, I managed to snag the bathroom whilst no one was relieving their intoxicated bodies and locked the door behind me.

Taking a sip of my drink, I stared at myself in the mirror before retrieving Verity’s make up bag and attempting to make myself look half decent.

Once done, I placed it back on the shelf directly as someone pounded on the door and shouted something about there being a queue and I extracted myself back into the hallway.

I decided to give myself a ten minute breather and shut myself away in one of the spare bedrooms that wasn't occupied with couples ‘bumping and grinding’.

The room was dark, but pretty minimalistic so I could tell there was no one else inside, so I plodded over to the bed, placing my drink on the nightstand and switching on the little bedside lamp before plunking myself back onto the covers and closing my eyes, the ever growing downstairs noise fading into the background as I zoned out.

“I thought I was never going to find you.” I heard a voice whisper, making me snap back to reality and sit up quickly, narrowly missing their head.

“Hey—hey it's only me.” Harlan smiled.

He was lying on his side, propped up by his elbow with a lazy expression drawn over his face.

“Oh...Hi” I murmured with a tired smile as I eased myself back down onto the duvet, looking up at his face with happy eyes.

Taking a piece of my hair, he began twiddling it through his fingers, the glow from the lamp making his skin look flawless and more beautiful than ever.

“You alright?” he asked quietly, averting his gaze to meet my own and throwing in a small smirk for good measure.

“Yes.” I replied breathily.

“I’m glad.”

“I...thought you weren’t going to come... I mean, how did you even know?” I mumbled, causing Harlan to chuckle.

“You mean how I knew about one of your closest friends’ parties, one that you didn’t have the courtesy to invite me to?” he teased.

“I don’t know how to reach you... no phone number?” I chided.

“I’m kidding, don’t be so testy. I just knew; if that makes sense? Anyway, we should change you not knowing my phone number shouldn’t we?” he smiled, lifting the piece of hair up gently.

“We should.” I murmured.

“We definitley should.” He nodded, before leaning in and placing a kiss on my lips.

After a while, we got up to face the drunken party, I must admit I wasn't looking overly forward to it just because I was almost sober and now that I had Harlan on my arm there would be a case of over curious eyes and questions.

But never the less, I gripped his sleeve, walking back into Verity’s main living room, which was wall to wall with drunken bodies.

And as if on cue, faces turned in our direction, I didn’t understand what the big speculation was, but it was there.

I just smiled nonchalantly before taking a seat on a surprisingly available couch.

Around five minutes after our initial sit down Harlan rose, offering me a drink which I obliged.
In his absence his seat was taken momentarily by Megan, a wide grin spread over her face.

“Oh don’t you start.” I mumbled, rolling my eyes.

“Ellen filled me in! I can’t believe you kept this a secret.” She gushed.

“Kept what a secret?” I frowned.

“Uh, your boyfriend?” she asked, causing me to choke on my saliva.

She fixed me with a shocked stare, which I matched as I tried to clear my throat.

“He isn’t my boyfriend.” I squeaked.

“Oh, well... don’t have an episode about it.” She grinned, slapping my arm playfully.

I just flicked my eyes, feeling highly uncomfortable that she’d even used the B word.

I was still trying to clear my throat when Harlan came back, faking a puff as he gestured towards the kitchen.

“Crazy room.” He grinned, before offering his hand to Megan “Hello, you must be Megan?”

Megan shook it with a happy smile, “And you must be Harlan, though I must admit Ruse has kept you a perfectly guarded secret.” She smiled, before throwing me an excited sideward glance and offering Harlan his seat back.

He politely refused, instead opting to lean against the arm rest next to me.

“I don’t blame her.” He smiled, oozing charm.

I zoned out as they chatted lightly, watching the clocks pendulum go backwards and forwards.

“Ruse?” I heard Megan ask, snapping me out of my ignorant daydream.

“Hmm?” I asked, with a shake of my head.

“I said, that you didn’t think Harlan was coming tonight... or so I’ve been told by Ellen.”

Shaking my head animatedly, I glanced up, “No, I didn’t think he was.”

They both smiled at each other as if having a private joke.

“What?” I asked with a frown, causing them to laugh.

“We were just saying beforehand that you’re always away in your own little world and you just illustrated our point perfectly.” Harlan smirked.

I grumbled a little, before taking a sip of my beer.

“Anyway, I’m going to go check on Ellen, she’s been chugging alcohol like it's her birthright tonight, I’ll speak to you guys soon.” Megan smiled, before standing up and walking out of the room.

Harlan threw himself back into the seat next to me taking a sip of his beer and giving me a smirk.

“She’s nice.”

“I know.” I smiled.

Harlan lifted his arm as if to gesture for me to take refuge underneath it, I indulged gratefully, resting my head on his shoulder and taking a small breath of his smell as his leather jacket re-settled itself around his body.

“You’re tired.” He murmured and I nodded in reply.

“Shall we leave soon?” he asked.

“We?” I teased.

“Yep.” He smiled arrogantly, looking me in the eyes self assuredly.
Rolling my own, I nodded.

“I’ll have to let Verity know.” I replied, untangling myself carefully and pushing my body off the sofa.

Flashing Harlan a smile, I walked away from him and towards the thrum of people.

I grimaced as I exited, the corridor, sadly just as full as the living room, offering no release of fresh, unfilled air.

“Hey Ruse.” A voice sounded, yanking me out of my musings, glancing up I was met with Joshua.

“Oh hey Josh, you’re looking much healthier than the last time I saw you.” I replied, a slow smile creeping over my lips.

“I could say the same for you.” He grinned.

“Except you can’t really, you were too wasted to remember how I was by the end of the evening.” I laughed.

“Ha-ha, your wit never fails to tickle me.” Joshua replied sarcastically.

“You’re just a sore loser.” I chortled.

“Anyway, you’re here with that Harlan dude right?” he asked a little disdainfully.

“I am... What of it?”

“Nothing, nothing,” he mumbled, running a hand through his hair awkwardly, “It's just the guy gives me the creeps, like something’s off about him? It might just be me.” He sighed.

“I think it is just you.” I replied, reaching past him and retrieving my drink from the side.

“Yeah you’re right, I’m just being jealous.” Josh smiled sheepishly.

“Jealous, what have you possibly got to be Jea—”

“Hey you two!” Verity shouted, cutting me off mid-sentence.

Forgetting what I was about to say prior, I greeted Verity with enthusiasm, before mentioning that I was about to head off.

“What why?!” she asked, her eyes as large as saucers.

“Because I’m a little tired and Harlan offered to take me home...” I garbled.

“But I haven’t met him yet!” she replied, a little tipsy in her mannerisms.

“What’s the all fuss about anyway?” Josh mumbled irritably, looking down at the floor.

I studied the two people in front of me. Secretly, I knew Verity had a soft spot for Joshua, but has never acted on it.

But watching her explain to him now, I could easily see the little sparks... especially on her side.
“So, can I meet him?” Verity suddenly asked, turning to address me.

“Yes, of course... he’s in there.” I replied, before excusing myself to retrieve my bags and sleepover bits and pieces.

Verity had packed everything away in her room, locked up so as not to be disturbed by any party goers, when I reached her room I bent down out of site in order to lift up the small wedge of carpet that concealed the key, and unlocking the door I was met with a small draft eradicating itself from the open bedroom window, I shivered slightly before walking over and pulling it shut.

As I turned away, something outside caught my attention, but the fact that it was dark made it impossible for me to see what it was, but the feeling of eyes watching every move I made caused me to cringe.

Grabbing my bags, I left the room as quickly as I could, not wanting to linger any longer than I had to.

“Okay, I’m ready.” I breathed once I entered the crowded living room, Harlan had no trouble hearing me and stood as if ready to depart, once of course he had said goodbye accordingly to my friends.

“It was lovely to meet you.” Harlan smiled charmingly to Verity and now Shelby whom I hadn’t actually seen since I’d left for the shop.

They both grinned, completely and obviously bowled over by Harlan’s charisma and general persona.

I smiled, satisfied that the introduction had gone seemingly without a hitch.
As we left, Harlan’s arm draped over my shoulder and my bags in his other, much to my protests he called someone.

“Who was that?” I asked.

“Our lift.” He replied as he pressed buttons on the little piece of black plastic.

“So you walked?”

“No, got dropped off whilst the others had business to attend to.” He muttered, before shoving his phone into his pocket and flashing me a smile.

I shuddered, caused by the mixture of the chill in the air and the idea of what business might actually underline.

“Ah, that was quick.” Harlan suddenly said, taking my hand and pulling me towards a rather spectacular looking Alfa Romeo, with Matthew behind the wheel.

I was a little stunned, not expecting to be travelling with three ‘quote on quote’, vampires in a car that most normal people slogged away for half of their lives trying to obtain.

“Nice car.” I sighed, slipping into the back with Harlan.

Matthew smiled before pulling out and Danny instantaneously turned to address me properly with an extremely happy smile.

“Hello Sweet.” He grinned.

“Hey Danny.” I replied, with an easy grin.

“So, who’s up for some fun?” Matthew suddenly asked, as he pulled away from the curb, watching Harlan and I from the rear view mirror.

I stayed silent, wondering what fun would be abbreviated to.

“I’m not sure about that, Ruse was just saying how tired she was...” Harlan replied, trailing off.

“Oh come on, Ruse is fine; aren’t you Ruse?” Danny grinned, turning almost right round in his seat to address me.

Casting a glance to Harlan who looked utterly disturbed by any prospect of fun including the terrible twosome and myself, I swallowed in an attempt to clear my voice before actually replying.

“What are you planning to do?” I asked almost reserved, but trying to give my voice the edge of defiance.

“Vampire club.” Danny replied, air quoting the whole sentence and rolling his eyes.

“Excuse me?” I asked, with wide eyes.

Matthew and Danny let out haughty laughs, obviously sharing an inside joke whilst I waited for an answer.

Once they had both righted themselves, Danny turned to look me in the eyes, his own twinkling with mischief.

“Okay so basically it's not a real vampire club... those don’t exist... since we aren’t meant to. But this club is like an ‘honorary’ vampire club, it's for underground Goths and alternative kids who are pretty open minded and so real vampires,” he paused to gesture arrogantly at the cars passengers’ “Like us, can thrive and made it our club for meals and meet ups.” He said with a grin.

I raised an eyebrow, “A vampire social club.” I mumbled sarcastically.

“Exactly.” Danny nodded, with a chuffed expression.

“Wait, so a lotof vampires come here?” I asked, putting my hand on each of the front seats backs and pulling myself forward.

“Well put it this way, you will never find a bigger true group unless it's like... an army.” Matthew suddenly chimed, taking his gaze off the road for a single second to stare at me with heavy lidded eyes.

“And no humans realize?” I asked.

“The ones that are still alive don’t.” Harlan suddenly said, causing a shiver to run down my spine.
Turning my head, I looked him dead in the eye, his expression was unreadable and it made my insides go cold.

“You’ve never mentioned this place before.” I murmured.

“It’s because I rarely go, it's a drive away on the borders of Equishire, verging on Terthsey.” He replied.

“And you think it’s safe for me to actually go?” I asked them all.

“Sure it is... just stay close, don’t go off with anyone... no matter how tempting the offer may suddenly be, maybe make your eye make up a little heavier... you know to blend in,” Danny stopped to giggle a little, seeing that my eye shadow was already smokey.

“And the most important of all Ruse... don’t bleed.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Long chapter. Comments?