Fallen Identity

Ch. 10

"Dude, is he awake yet?"
"Does it look like he's awake?"
"Well no-"
"Then stop asking stupid questions!"
Who's argueing? I'm trying to sleep. Wait a minute. Where the hell am I? My whole body felt numb with pain. Under the palms of my hands, I could feel the cool surface of concrete. Why am I sleeping on the floor?
Then I remembered. I was knocked out. I didn't recognize the voices so I decided to keep pretending I was asleep so maybe they'd leave the room and I could find a way out of here. After what felt like an hour of waiting, they finally left. I opened my eyes and sat up. I blinked a couple times until my vision cleared and I saw I was in a small, dark room. No windows and only one door. I looked up to see if there were any vents I could climb through. There was one but it was too small to climb through.
I stood up and started to look for any secret doors along the walls. The walls were made of stone like on castles so secret passageways seemed like a possible choice of escape.
Nothing.
I sat on the floor with my back against the wall, giving up. Just then, the door came open and in walked two guys. They had the same look as Kage, Jackal, Lennox, and Jacine. The sinister, inhuman look about them. The both had the same eye color. A murky green.
"You're awake," one of them muttered.
I just nodded my head. I probably looked like a little girl with the way I was sitting, but at this point I could care less if anyone found out my secret.
"Jacine will want to speak with you shortly," the other one hissed out at me. I nodded my head again and they left the room. I heard a lock of the door click.
I sat and waited for 2 hours and 31 minutes. I was counting the minutes since there was nothing else to do.
In walked the same two men -er- demons. The each grabbed an arm of mine and pulled me out of the room and into a long, narrow hallway. They stopped in front of a door at the end of the hallway and knocked twice on it. The door immediately flew open and the two demons pulled me in and stood in front of a desk A desk that had Jacine sitting at.
"Put him down and leave us be," Jacine snapped at the two demons. They dropped me on the floor and walked away closing the door on their way out.
"Hello Carter," Jacine gave me her malicious smile.
I just stared at her, trying my best not to show fear.
"You know, you should really learn to show me some respect," Jacine snickered.
"And why's that?" I finally asked.
"Your life just might depend on it," she said nonchalantly. "Guess what were going to do?"
"Umm torture me?" I guessed.
"Lucky for you, were not going to be doing that. No no. You see, this game has just begun and I want the outcome to be gruesome," she smiled.
"What do you mean you want the outcome to be gruesome?" I asked tentatively.
"I mean you and all your little angel buddies are going to die," she said it like it was obvious.
"Where are we anyway?" I asked suddenly, wanting to get off the subject of death.
"In my secret hiding place," she giggled.
"Wow. So specific," I replied sarcastically while rolling my eyes.
"You're so funny," Jacine laughed. "But, I'm afraid your sense of humor won't stop me from killing you."
"And what will stop you from killing me?" I questioned.
She though about it and then replied, "Nothing."
"Great. So I just have to sit and wait for my death."
"Don't worry. We have plenty of work for you to do during your stay here," Jacine said and then snapped her fingers. In walked the same two demons from before and they easily snatched my arms, picking me up.
"A young man such as yourself should be able to accomplish measly household chores," Jacine said and stood up, making her way over to me. She traced her nails along my jaw and I saw her nails were different. They were sharp like a shark's tooth and were the color of ashes. In other words, they looked disgusting. As soon as I saw her demon nails, the sooner they went back to her human disguise nails looked like.
Jacine then shooed the two demons away and they pulled me along back out the door and down the hallway. The hallway wasn't deserted this time and I saw deformed creatures walk past me. All of them had such twisted features that I couldn't bare to look at them. Some had horns that would appear in different places along their body. Some had eyes that looked to be snake eyes and glowed in the dim lighting.
The two demons stopped in front of a door that was close to the one I woke up in. They opened it to reveal a kitchen. A messy and completely nauseating kitchen, but a kitchen nonetheless. Dishes piled up all over the counter tops and on the floor.The refridgerator looked aged with stains printed all over the surface that was probably white at one point.
"I'm guessing my job is to clean this room?" I asked even though I was already sure that the answer was yes.
"And to cook the meals for everyone," one of the demons gruffed at me and then they both turned to leave, locking the door on their way out.
I got to work cleaning the whole room up before even thinking about opening the refridgerator. The thought terrified me. I kept wondering if something was going to pop out and eat my face off when I opened the refridgerator door.
During my cleaning, I found about 3 rats, 7 cockroaches, 22 spiders and about a million ants. I think I saw a snake slither into the wall but it could have just been a shadow of a rat tail or something. But, my point is that this place was gross. I don't think I have ever scrubbed harder in my entire life.
After about five hours, I got the kitchen to look as decent as it was going to get. I proceeded to build up enough courage to open the dreaded refridgerator door. I closed my eyes and opened it, then prepared myself for the impact. The impact that never came that is. I opened one eye and saw the fridge was packed with raw meat. Some of the meat was rotton and some was fresh. I couldn't tell what animals they came from but they all probably tasted like chicken. Everything tastes like chicken.
I didn't know whether the demons wanted their meat cooked or raw so I knocked on the door. I got a load groan as a reply, then followed by a, "What do you want?"
"Cooked or raw?" I asked hesitantly.
"What are you talking about?" was the reply.
"Your food. Would you like me to cook your meat or just leave in raw?"
"I told you you would be cooking the meals for everyone didn't I?" Wow, didn't that make me feel stupid.
"Uh, right. I'll get right on that then." I turned away from the door and headed over toward the oven. I preheated the oven and then started to take out the nonrotten meats and prepared them. I looked around in the other cabinets for anything I could use as breading but their appeared to be nothing of the sort. I then realized I had no idea how much I was supposed to cook and so I knocked on the door again.
"What now?" the demon roared. Even from behind a door, his roar was frightening.
"I was just wondering how much I was supposed to cook. No one told me," I replied.
"Just cook as much as you can," the demon said after a moments thought. He didn't know either I bet.
"Ok," I said then headed over to start cooking. I counted how many chicken breasts I had and it came out to 157. The other 52 pieces were rotten.
When I was finally done, I took a couple chicken breasts for myself and ate them quickly before anyone came down to see if I was done yet. It wasn't that bad tasting but maybe that was just my hunger talking. I cleaned up the mess I made except for the chicken and then knocked on the door for the third time.
The demon whipped the door open and glared at me. "What do you want now?!"
"Dinner's ready," I said emotionlessly. I pointed behind me to the plates of chicken. The other demon who was standing guard but never seemed to talk came in and followed the first demon over to where the chicken was. They sniffed it and then both took a bite. They seemed satisfied with the taste but didn't want me to know it.
"This seems decent enough," the demon said and then left the room. The demon who didn't talk stayed and spoke for the first time.
"Serve the food to us. The room is right across the hall." He then turned and left. I found a big platter that I could use as a serving tray and placed 4 plates on top and then carried the tray across the hall as carefully as possible.I propped the door open with my foot and then backed into the room.
It was a big room and demons sat around a long table, looking ravenous and bloodthirsty. I placed the plates in front of random demons then ran back to grab more as quickly as possible. There seemed to be around 40 demons but they ate like pigs. I had to bring out seconds and sometimes even thirds for some of them. They ate all of the chicken and some even asked for the rotten stuff but I had to tell them that it was poisened, even though it wasn't, since I had already thrown it all away.
Then, all at once, every demon went silent and I saw why when Jacine entered the room from the other side. Jacine clapped in fake enthusiasm.
"Oh bravo Carter! You managed to cook a fine meal for all my little pets," she said and patted the heads of a couple demons as she walked toward me. I think I even saw some demons flinch away from her.
"Hmm," she hummed, tapping her finger on her chin. "I think you can keep your job as cook. We'll put in a small cot and notepad that you can write what ingrediants you need so you can cook all our meals. The kitchen will be like a mini apartment for you."
Job. Now why did that word stand out. Oh crap! I forgot all about my new job. I was already missing my first day and I'm pretty sure "I was abducted by demons" will not qualify as an appropriate excuse.
"Something wrong, Carter dear?" Jacine asked me.
"No. There's nothing wrong when I'm being held against my will by a bunch of demons who will kill me one way or another," I replied nastily.
"Aw, you don't like it here?" Jacine frowned.
"Of course I don't like it here. What kind of a question is that?"
"Alright, well I'm done with this conversation," Jacone said and then snapped her fingers and the two demons, who I've yet to discover their names, came and dragged me back to the kitchen where I saw a thin cot lieng on the floor in the corner. No blanket or pillow though and it was freezing. I guess it's better then nothing. I found the notepad on the counter and wrote a long list of items I needed and then slipped the note under the locked door. I then crashed onto the cot and almost immediately fell asleep.