Fallen Identity

Ch. 7

We were walking back to the secret elevator when something weird caught my eye. It looked like a leg sticking out from behind a dumpster. Acting without even thinking, I moved the dumpster away and yelped. A person layed there with a big hole in their chest. I bent down and grabbed the man's wrist. No heart beat. The corpse was stiff.
"Looks like rigor mortis has already set in," I thought aloud.
"And how would you know that?" Raz asked.
"I watch a lot of tv," I replied back. It surprised me how I wasn't hyperventilating or something to that effect at the sight of a dead body. A real dead body. People never look this bad on tv though. The man's face was constricted in terror and the gash in his chest was messy with blood.
"If anything, this was probably Kage's doing," Elijah said.
"Yeah. He likes to leave us "presents"", Cameal said making quotation marks with his fingers. The guys searched the man for any identification and couldn't find anything.
"What're we going to do with him?" I asked. I didn't want to get caught up with the police.
"Were going to have to notify the authorities," Raz stated.
"No!" I shouted, "I mean, why can't we just sterilize him so their are no fingerprints then leave him somewhere else so someone else can find him."
"That would take too much time. Plus, we have no sterilizing tools," Gabriel said and looked down at the now limp body.
"Why do you care if we get the police involved anyway?" Cameal asked me. Everyone looked to me for an answer.
"I'm a runaway. The cops can't catch me or I'm going to have to go back to my family," I explained. I was almost going to say 'back to Mr. Berings'.
"Oh. Right. Well you can go to the safezone while we straighten this whole ordeal out," Raziel told me. I nodded my head yes in reply then headed toward the secret elevator which was just close by. Cameal accompanied me. I went straight forward to my room. As it turns out, I can't handle seeing a dead body without wanting to cry. What if that man had a family who he loved and loved him? It just wasn't fair. Why do the innocent people get killed and the evil live on but in prison? Because this world is ruled by idiots. Can't argue with that logic.
I sat in my room with the television on so no one could hear me in case I sobbed loudly or something. This tv was turning into such a life saver. I sat on my bed and felt the discomfort of not having a bra on.
If there was one thing I missed, it was wearing bras. I was so used to them before and now it feels weird walking around without one on. I can't wear them because the straps might show through the shirt. Sure, I have a small chest but I still wore bras. They made me feel older. Plus, at school in gym class you kind of needed or bra to change into your gym clothes.

I woke up finding myself hugging my pillow and the tv on. I must've cried myself to sleep without noticing. I wonder if the dead body situation was taken care of. I slipped on some new clothes and put all my dirty clothes in a bag. I seriously needed to do laundry soon. I dragged my feet across the carpet all the way to the main room where everyone was. How can they wake up so early?
I must have said this aloud because Cameal then said, "It's 3 in the afternoon dummy. It's not that early." Who says dummy anymore?
"I slept for 17 hours? Well that's a new record," I laughed.
"That's not normal either," Elijah put in. Elijah was definitely the more knowledgable one out of the bunch. Heheh, the word bunch reminds me of The Brady Bunch.
"Are you feeling well?" Raz asked me.
"I'm fine. I just didn't expect to see a dead body anytime in my life," I answered.
"You've never seen a dead body before? Haven't you been to a funeral?" Gabriel asked. I have never been to a funeral but I did make it sound like I had come from a big family so I'd have to improvise.
"Well I went to one for my grandpa but it was a closed casket so I never actually saw him dead," I lied. It wasn't hard putting a sad expression on my face since talking about the dead makes you sad anyway.
"Well, I guess we can take a day off today," Raz said, more to himself than to us.
"Take a day off?" I asked, totally confused.
"Well, when we go out during the day, were always looking for signs of potential demons that are lurking," Elijah explained. Well that makes sense.
For the rest of the day, we stayed inside and watched movies. They had a wide collection. They even had silent, black and white films with Charlie Chaplin in them. It's amazing to see how far we've come with technology. There was a time when all I wanted to do was invent new high tech products that made everyday chores easy. I was most fascinated with robots when I was 6 years old. I heard there was a restaurant in Japan that it's employees are robots. I've always wanted to go.
It was 11 p.m. and I found myself extremely tired again. Everyone else was already passed out. Oddly enough, I never remembered Micah, Zach, or Nathaniel ever showing up today but here they were, snoozing on the couch. It was a big couch that wrapped around to form the shape of a U.
I decided to read another page of the diary before going to sleep. I didn't even bother with the tv this time.

April 1, 1965

Well today is April Fools' Day. I still don't know where these humans came up with such weird holidays. We've discovered a lot of demons the past few days. Raziel even said that there were more demons in this past week then they've had in a month. Something's happening. Something huge. All we can do is try our best I suppose.
Micah still hasn't talked to me. Or given me eye contact for that matter which is odd since I am the very essence of beauty. I catch the eye of every human on the street. Even women. It's very.. odd. That's all I felt like writing for tonight. Au revoir.
Iofiel Bellesa

I wondered why only Raziel and Zachareal shortened their names to make them sound more human. Cameal could be Cam, Gabriel could be Gabe, Elijah could be Eli, Nathaniel could be Nate, and Micah could by Mike. Iofiel came up with Isabelle as her human name. Maybe I will ask them about it tomorrow. For now, I will just let sleep take over where I will have another dreamless night.

"So Carter? You up for some football?" Raz asked me.
"F-football? I don't play sports," I lied. I was actually a very good volleyball player. But volleyball is a girly sport. Or so they say.
"Aw come on. Every guy likes football," Cameal said. This statement was mostly true. Almost every guy I met loved football. It was madness.
"Not this guy," I stated before drinking some orange juice.
"Fine then you can be ref," Gabriel laughed.
"How can I be ref if I don't even know how to play?" I condradicted.
"Touche", Cameal said.
"Well then what're you going to do?" Raz asked. They were all packed to go play football and even Micah, Zach, and Nathaniel were going. It was nice to see them all hanging out together. Another reason why I shouldn't go with them.
"Well you said that I could stay here till I get back on my feet. I think I'm going to go job hunting," I said. I could see worried expressions on some of their faces. Don't know if that's because I'm leaving eventually or because Kage was out there somewhere, supposedly trying to get me.
"Y-you're not going to leave anytime soon are you?" Cameal asked me.
"Well no. It'll take a while to raise enough money so that I can settle on my own," I explained. This was true. I'd probably only get some minimum wage job since I'm a 15 year old with no identification.
"Ok. Well, just take this," Raz said and then handed me a small device.
"A taser? How is a taser going to help?" I asked.
"You do the ole stun and run," Cameal answered with joy.
"Right.." I raised an eyebrow.
"I don't think we ever told you about the dead man," Raz aid suddenly.
"No. What about him?" I asked.
"Well, as it turns out, the man was wanted for rape and murder throughout the state," Raz said slowly. Rape? If Kage did kill him, does that mean he knows my secret? Is this his way of telling me that he knows? Or, is it just a coincidence? Either way, I'm kind of glad that the guy didn't have a family and that he was bad.
"That's terrible," I said after a moment.
"Yeah, well just take the taser and be careful," Elijah said.
"I feel like a little kid," I uttered.
"Can we just go now?" Micah asserted. Boy, is he impatient.
"Yeah, Let's just go," Raz said.

Cameal, Gabriel, Elijah, and Raz waved bye to me before departing. Micah, Zach, and Nathaniel just left. I went to take a shower and change into regular jeans and a plain white t-shirt. I've heard you should always dress casually for a job or interview, unless you're going to work at a tattoo shop. I just realized I forgot to ask about the whole nickname thing. I'll just ask them later. After they shower. Twice.
I started walking down the street past all sorts of different stores. I found a 'Help Wanted' sign in front of a lingerie store. Definitely not working there. I would never be able to show my face in public again. I kept strolling down the street when I noticed a 'Help Needed' sign in front of an antique store. That might be an interesting place to work at.
I walked into the small shop and took the sign from the window. I went up to the lady that was seated at the register. It was one of those old registers you see in black and white films. The lady was young, maybe in her late 20s. She had dark brown, curly hair with a hint of red in it. She wore glasses but that didn't stop me from noticing the pretty shade of gray her eyes were.
"May I help you?" she asked me when I approached her. I held up the sign and replied, "I think the real question is if I can help you?"
"Oh, you're here for the job," she looked at me in delight.
"Yeah. I can work whenever," I said and then added, "I live close by."
"Ok, well the shop opens at 10 on weekdays and 9 on weekends and closes at 6 throughout the entire week. Now, we just need someone who can come in all day thursday through sunday. Does that sound good to you?" She asked after she explained the times.
"That sounds great," I smiled. "My name's Carter by the way."
"My name's Elaine Matthews. Everyone calls me Ellie though," she smiled back. I already liked her. She was one of those people where you automatically like them.
"So, does this mean I have the job?" I asked, tentatively.
"Yes, though I might need to tell Mrs. Rivers and get her agreement," Ellie stated.
"Mrs. Rivers owns this shop?" I asked.
"Yes. She's a sweet, old lady and most of the items in here have been passed down her family for generations but then her husband started gambling and put her in debt so she set up this shop and sold some her prized possession. She loved working here so much that she kept it open. She's at an antique show right now I believe," Ellie explained. She sure liked to talk a lot.
"Do you know when she gets back?"
"No, I'm afraid not. She might've mentioned it but I'm a college student at the Illinois Institute of Art and always have my mind on other things," Ellie said. I've always wanted to go to the Illinois Institute of Art and it was cool meeting someone who is a student there.
"Is the school nice?" I asked her but she never got to answer because a customer waltzed in and Ellie had to get back to work.
"Carter, just come in on thursday and we'll get you to work," Ellie shouted to me as I turned to leave. I looked back to say, "Yeah sure," but she was already speaking with the customer.