The Only Cure...

Pandora's Box

Spike was sat in a corner, Alice on one side of him and Dusk on the other. He was grinning already, and they’d only just sat down. There was just something he liked about sitting in between his girls. He’d never dare call them that out loud, though. Dusk was also smiling, as she surveyed her surrounding. Alice was smiling, but she seemed more amused than proud or content. She turned her smirk to him, and he looked questioningly at her. As she started to speak, Dusk focused her attention on her too.

“So,” He could tell already she was about to tease him in some way. “You’re introducing yourself with the silly little names now, are we?”

“They’re not silly little names!” Dawn was amazed at herself, as she still felt intimidated by Alice. This was probably the reason she didn’t sound angry, as the older woman could easily beat her in a verbal or physical fight. “And anyway, Dawn Winters and Brandon Fink are missing persons.”

“Seriously, I don’t reckon a fellow vampire is gonna report you.”

“It doesn’t hurt to be used to our names though.” Cut in Brandon, trying to avoid an argument, “And they are kinda cool.”

Alice rolled her eyes and leaned back in the chair. Brandon smirked to himself; her silence was her giving up. Dawn went back to looking around as Alice sipped her drink and Brandon mentally debated whether or not to drink his beer. Her eyes settled on a group of demons in the corner, but she pulled her attention from their oddly coloured skin and reptilian features before they noticed. A normal looking guy walked past their table, from the gents, but she could smell that he was a werewolf and wrinkled her nose in disgust.

“Urgh,” Said Alice, as she and Brandon had reacted the same way, “Disgusting, it’s a werewolf.”

“Fuck you!” He snarled, similarly disgusted to smell three vampires in close proximity, “Fuck the lot of you!”

He barged past another vampire who was standing by the bar, a lady who actually vamp-faced at him. He stuck both middle fingers up at her, walking backwards a few steps before turned to face the way he was going, back to the group by the windows. They were all werewolves, but he had the arrogance of a vampire.

Alice shook her head in annoyance. She muttered something about Pandora taking all sorts. Dawn couldn’t help but feeling as if they’d be better off visiting a ‘normal’ club, if there were going to be werewolves around. She wasn’t even sure why she hated them so much; they just smelt dirty. It was all brawn and animalistic movements, but no grace or subtlety. She probably wouldn’t have noticed before, but she could smell them now she was sired. She could smell blood a lot easier, too. And fear. But even the werewolves could smell fear. It was day to day life that stopped you, maybe.

Brandon decided to drink the beer. Even though it didn’t quench any thirst he might have had, and the calorific content would never affect him, it gave him something to do rather than sit around doing nothing, and if it was a nice beer, he could still appreciate the flavour, and the cool liquid was certainly refreshing.

Pandora looked over at Alice, who returned the gaze. Something silent passed between the two before they smiled and went back to what they were doing. Brandon couldn’t help thinking there was something that he didn’t know, but he decided to carry on drinking his beer. Sometimes that was the best thing to do. So what if Alice and Pandora had unsaid things?

Alice however, was forming a plan in her mind. She had sired Brandon to amuse her while her sire was doing his own thing, which, whatever it was, had gotten him dusted shortly after. She took a deep breath and a sip of her drink, as the loss of her sire Edward had, and still did, hurt her deeply. Now that he was gone, she had slotted into the place of absent sire, leaving Brandon with his protégé, and she wondered how it must have felt for him, and now for Dawn.

In the short time, a month at most, in which she had had both Edward and Brandon, whenever Edward was there her attention and admiration was all his, leaving Brandon as a puppy following her. Now, in the month or so in which Dawn had been around, she had been and gone at her will, capturing Brandon’s mind completely while she was there. Perhaps Dawn felt intimidated by her; the child was after all just that. Perhaps she would be friendlier. Perhaps not. She was whimsical at best.

However, at that moment, Brandon’s interest was in Dawn, or rather, what she was doing. The newest addition to the line had just piled up the five beer mats, and, tongue out and frowning in concentration, she knocked them into the air with the back of her fingers and caught them between her fingers and thumb, in one fluid movement. Brandon nodded appreciatively. The movement attracted Alice’s wandering attention, and she smiled wryly, and she said what were, possibly, the first words she had ever to Dawn directly, causing the girl to blush; embarrassed.

“Well Dawn; for something so inane, that was actually quite impressive.”