Sequel: Prince In Distress

Princess Crashing Down

Chapter 12

Night:
"You're safe in my arms."
Sal held me tightly in his lap. I stared into the shining stars.
"I know."
"He can't hurt you."
"I know."
"I would never let that happen to you."
"I know." I drifted off during my last reply and closed my eyes. I couldn't hear anything -silence. I snuggled closer into him and put my head on his chest. I dragged my hand across the smooth skin and couldn't feel anything.
Sal looked up, but kept my head down, until I heard a scream.
"Get away!"
Sal jumped up and tried pushing me away, but I struggled and ended up slamming into someone else. I stared into the deep, blue eyes and felt my own scream trapped inside my throat.
Sal grabbed my hand, but I slipped away when an arm wrapped around my neck and pulled me away.
"Let go of her!"
"Dillon!" I choked out along with the scream.
He held the gun to my throat and put his finger on the trigger. I screamed again.
"Put the fucking gun down!" Sal screamed.
"Make me." He smiled.
"Just put it down!" Sal said through his teeth.
"Please." I whispered into his arm.
"What?"
"I said please don't."
Then he pulled the trigger and a pain flew through my neck-
I screamed at the top of my lungs and sat up in shock. It took a minute, but Dillon was at my side and Marissa sat up with wide eyes.
"What happened?"
I looked around me and saw everything the same. Dillon was looking closely at me and I saw his deep, blue eyes. I felt my neck and a pain surged through it.
"Owe."
"Are you ok?" Marissa asked.
"Yeah."
"You sure?" Dillon turned his head toward Marissa, then back at me.
"Dream. Just a dream."
"What happened?" Marissa looked interested.
"Nothing."
"Ok." Dillon said rubbing his eyes. "Night -or morning or whatever." He disappeared back behind the bed.
"So what happened?" Marissa whispered.
"It was about Sal and Dillon."
He eyes grew amazingly wide.
"Sal?"
"Yeah, but he was protecting me."
"From what?"
"Dillon."
She gasped as loud as possible and sat up straighter. "Really!"
"What?" Dillon popped his head back up.
"Nothing."
"Are you talking about your dream, still?"
"Yeah."
Marissa was just sitting and staring at Dillon. She had a huge smile across her face.
"Why are you looking at me like that?"
"Oh I don't know."
He looked over to me, annoyed.
"Dillon, it was just a dream."
"About what?
"Nothing."
"Oh come on."
"Fine." He shook his head, pleased with himself. "Sal was making sure you wouldn't shoot me, but you did anyway." I rolled over, laughing and trying to make it seem like I thought it was so funny.
Instead, he glared at me.
"Sal, it was just a dream."
"Who?"
"What?"
Marissa started laughing like crazy. I covered my mouth and corrected myself. "I meant Dillon."
"Why are you dreaming about him?"
"I don't know.
"I could fucking kill that bastard again!"
Me and Marissa just looked at him in shock. Everyone got quiet and he layed back down on his blanket on the floor.
"I'm sorry." He spoke into the floor.
"I think we should all just get some more sleep." Marissa turned over and shut her eyes.
I stared at the ceiling. I don't know why his comment bothered me so much, but it did. I felt even worse than before. I really wanted to smoke, but I'd never be allowed to with Dillon or my mom here.
I shivered from the bit of cold air blowing in from the window. I snuggled further into the blankets and closed my own eyes.

Morning:
Me and Marissa sluggishly came downstairs. My mom was making pancakes because she thought something would be mentally wrong with me after what happened yesterday.
I inhaled the sweet smell of the syrup and Marissa ran around the table to her favorite seat.
"Good morning girls!"
My mom shot us a bright and happy smile.
"Morning Mrs. Marcc."
"Hi mom."
She looked at me. "Is something wrong?"
"No."
"I heard screaming this morning, but you were with Marissa, so I didn't come in."
"Oh I just had a bad dream. I'm fine, now."
I put my eyes down and felt tears coming again. I couldn't blink them away this time.
"Sweetie, what's wrong?"
Marissa was watching me, concerned too.
I heard a knock at the door and I ran over to it. When I opened it Dillon tried taking a step inside, then automatically went back out.
"Um, am I allowed here?"
I shook my head and he saw the tears. "I don't know."
He peered into the house and my mom saw him. She twisted her face and crosses our white carpet to the door.
"Young man, I don't think you should be here."
He bowed his head and turned to leave.
"I'm sorry."
"No. Wait." I grabbed his arm and looked at my mom.
"Mom -please."
"Please what, Isabella. He's a criminal."
"He was protecting me."
"From what?"
"From Sal!"
"What?" She closed into my face. "What are you trying to say?"
"That nothing's how you think it is. He didn't just walk into school that morning and think 'Oh I'm just gonna shoot someone today.' He was protecting me for Sal."
"Isn't Sal Rolden the poor kid that was shot?"
"Yes mom!" I gestured toward Dillon. "He shot him because he was coming after me."
"Was he trying to hurt you?" My mother's expression was impossible to describe.
"Well no, but -I don't know. He just deserved it. "
"What?"
"Mom, I mean that he did nothing wrong. They let him go didn't they?"
"I just thought he escaped." She gave Dillon and evil look.
"Mom." I started crying again.
"Why did they let you go?" She asked Dillon.
"Because he tried to kill me first." I'm pretty sure he didn't mean for it to come out so rudely, but my mother didn't seem to notice because she was too amazed.
"That little boy tried to kill you?"
"He's not little, mom."
"I know." She walked over to the ouch and sat down, trying to think. "You may come in, Dillon."
"Thank you, Mrs. Marcc."
She eyed him down, but walked back into the kitchen to the burning pancakes. Marissa just watched us blankly at the table.
She blinked, then turned away.