One of the Boys...Right?

Chapter 17

*Jess*

My eyes opened again to rain outside my window. Aunt Kelly was talking to one of the doctors. I checked the clock on the wall to see that it was 5:30 in the morning. Bam was no longer next to me.

“Aunt Kelly?” I yawned. She turned away from the doctor and came over to my side.

“I want to go to school today.” I said.

“You don’t have to, Jess. You can stay here.” she tried to reason with me. I shook my head.

“I’m going. Can you take me home so I can shower and get ready?” I asked.

“She can go home. Her vitals are normal and she’s alert and coherent.” the doctor announced.

“But what about her breakdown?” aunt Kelly asked.

“I’m over it. My friends know.” I interrupted. Aunt Kelly sighed, but then she nodded.

-10 minutes later-

I sat in the passenger seat of Aunt Kelly’s car on the way home from the hospital.

“You call me if you need anything, alright?” she asked.

“Okay.” I nodded.

Up in my room, I took a shower and got dressed, keeping my outfit simple. I blow-dried my hair and only straightened the hair around my face. My makeup was black eyeliner and silver eyeshadow. Looking around, I remembered that my bag was in Mr. Bell’s classroom.

“Almost ready, Jess?” aunt Kelly called.

“Yeah.” I brushed my teeth and went downstairs. Aunt Carol was already holding my gray hoodie and the car keys.

The drive to the school was silent until I was staring out the window at it. It was 9:30- classes had been going on for awhile.

“Call me if you need anything” she said before she drove off. Everything was silent as the snow continued to fall.

“What a way to start the new year.” I sighed to myself as I pushed open the front door to go sign in.

“Jessica? What are you doing here?” the woman at the desk asked in shock.

“I need my bag.” I brushed off her question.

“Shouldn’t you be in the hospital? Didn’t you have a breakdown?” she pried.

“I should be. Doesn’t mean I’m going back.” I shrugged.

“You truly are determined.” she shook her head.

“Tell me...is anyone dead?” I whispered.

“Two students and one teacher are dead. Three more students and two teachers were injured.” she said with grave seriousness. I walked away and hurried up the stairs, towards Mr. Bell’s room. I took a deep breath before knocking. The door slowly opened to reveal his face.

“I thought you would come back for your bag. It’s on the back counter.” he cracked a small smiled and opened the door. Wordlessly, I walked to the back of the room. Everyone’s eyes followed me. I picked up my bag and turned to meet everyone’s face. The room was silent.

“Calm down, everyone. You’re having too much fun.” I sighed. One kid let out a chuckle.

“Are you staying, Jess?” Mr. Bell asked.

“Yeah. My grades are bad enough. And if I stayed in that hospital any longer, I would’ve admitted myself into a padded room.” I added. A few more kids smiled.

“Why do you do that?” a preppy girl scowled.

“Do what?” I asked confusedly.

“You’re making this whole thing into a joke. Maybe people want to be sad. Or are you just trying to prevent another one of the episodes you had yesterday?” she sneered.

“I don’t want to be sad. So therefore, I’m trying to see if anyone else wants to be happy with me. And your mirror probably has an ‘episode’ whenever you look into it.” I shot back.

“Calm down, ladies. Amanda, she can feel whatever she wants. Jess, I know you want others to be happy, but please tone down on the dark humor.” Mr. Bell advised. I merely nodded and left the room.

Since it was nearly 10, I knew I had a free period, so I went to the music room. Grace, my voice teacher, was sitting at her desk, reading a novel.

“Jessica? What on earth are you doing here?” she set the book down.

“Signing up for the talent show. Can you help me?” I handed her the lyrics to ‘Defying Gravity’ from Wicked.