Status: Finished

First Impressions

IX

“I’m a virgin.”

Jack’s eyes widen and he feels his palms get sweaty – this is not quite the conversation he’d been looking to have while he was studying for his midterms.

“Um… what?” Jack asks, giving a small laugh.

“I just… I figured you would think that I wasn’t… because I was with Martin and all…”

If he’s being honest, Jack’s surprised. He would have bet a lot of money that Alex had sex with Martin at least a few times. But this confession shocks him.

“Oh… I didn’t know that.”

“Martin… never wanted me like that.”

Jack’s used to this by now – Alex is so obviously not over the way Martin (and the entire school) treated him, that he has an almost-breakdown whenever he and Jack are alone together. Tonight- Thursday night – is no different.

“Alex… You‘re amazing, don’t let Martin let you think otherwise.”

His arms wrap around Alex’s smaller body and hold on tightly. Alex’s sobs become louder and Jack just wants everything to go away. Of course… he knows how he can help do that, he’s just not sure if he’s ready to.

A knock on Alex’s bedroom door causes Jack to shove Alex away from him. Who knows who’s on the other side of that door?

Alex does his best to glare at Jack and gets up, whipping away the tears so he can open the door and let his mother in. He knows it’s her… who else could it be?

“Sweetie, are you alright? You’re eyes are red…” Mrs. Gaskarth questions, lifting her sons face so she can get a better look.

“I’m fine,” Alex says meekly.

“Okay… well I was just wondering if Jack is staying for dinner…”

“No,” Alex says. “He said he had to go home.”

“Okay then… Dinner will be done soon.”

The second she’s gone, Alex picks up Jack’s sweatshirt and throws it at him.

“You can leave now.”

“What? Why? What did I do?” Jack asks, eyes wide and confusion written all over his face.

“Just get out, okay? I don’t even want to be near you right now…” Alex responds quietly, pushing Jack gently towards the door.

Jack’s confused, to say the least.

**

“Well, obviously he thinks you’re embarrassed of him.”

“But I’m not embarrassed of him!”

“Jack, he doesn’t know that! When have you ever known Alex to think rationally?”

“Good point… never.”

“Exactly. And since you didn’t even want his own mother to know you’re gay, he just assumes the worst.”

“God, Rian… since when did you get so good at advice?”

Rian rolls his eyes and sits down on the stone wall just outside the cafeteria. “I’m not giving you advice, dumbass. I’m pointing out the obvious.”

“Oh… I’ve never been very good with the obvious.”

“No way?”

“Shut up, you’re being such a dick today,” Jack says, pushing Rian slightly.

Rian laughs. “Maybe you should think about coming out. I mean, what’s the worst that can happen?”

Jack shudders at the thought of what could happen – the exact same things that are happening to his poor Alex. But, he finally decides, if Alex can go through it alone… they might as well go through it together…

He decides this just in time. Oliver Sykes walks past Rian and Jack, giving Jack a slight nod.

“Hey, Oliver! Can I talk to you?”
♠ ♠ ♠
(: leave comments please, I didn't get very many last time

<333