Fall Asleep with the Windows Open

A little death makes life more meaningful

I couldn't scream. It was just a situation where things were going on so fast that you didn't have time to have any sort of reaction...except for shock. Holding my breath my mind was blank. Then I just gave in to unconsciousness.

When I woke up I heard beeping. Damn these hospital beds to all hell. I opened my eyes wider so I could see. A black mop of hair was slumped over in an uncomfortable looking chair. I opened my mouth but my throat was soar and dry so it came out as a gasp, causing the mop of hair to look up. Billie. As I would have guessed. He jumped up and wiped away some tears.
"What do you need?" He sniffled.
"Billie, whats wrong?"
"It was terrible Ry. Your lucky you even made it out not paralyzed let alone still breathing ." He forced a cup of water in my hand.
"I'll be right back. Drink some water." I sighed and sipped it lightly. Then it hit me.
"Billie!" I screeched. He was back at my bedside in less than a heart beat.
"Where is Dom?" He rubbed his eyes and cleared his throat.

"ER."
My face froze in horror. "Why...why the er?"
"He has a couple shards of glass in his chest and neck...it was, pretty awful."
I twisted my face trying to remember. The words 'my fault' danced painfully out of my lips. Billie strained.
"What? How is it your fault Ry." His voice was barely above a whisper.
"I was drunk. He looked at me and laughed...he took his eyes off the road to look at me and then." It all came flooding back to me now. The speeding mustang meeting our CR-V. Then both cars meeting the guard rail.
The tears spilled from my eyes and Billie maneuvered his arm around the wires stuck in me to comfort me. I shuddered at his touch.
"How long has he been in the er?" He winced.
"3 hours." A sob echoed through the room pulling another one behind it.
"I'll go see how its going. Okay?" I just gripped tighter to his arm. I didn't want to let go.
"Just stay a little. Please." I cried. And he did as I asked, positioning himself next to me on the bed. He kissed my hair as I continued to break down.

We sat like that for a little while. He rocked me a little in his arm still tightly around my shoulder. Tre came in...not his normal upbeat hyper self.
"Ry, the doctors coming in to see you." I nodded and put my face back in Billies chest, squeezing my eyes shut. Deep breaths.
"Ms.Davis?" I shuddered.
"Yes?"
"Your husband is in the recovery room, but he isn't quit stable yet...we got as much glass as we could out, but hes suffering from major blood loss. There was alot of damage done to the main arteries that will take some serious repair."
"When can I see him? I'm okay right...I can go see him now?" He exhaled deeply.
"He has been mumbling your name for a while now, so I suppose you can go see him...it might do some good." I hoped out of bed and darted mindlessly down the hall.
"Room 1352. To your left." He called after me.
I found the room. I gagged at the sight. He was heaving... gasping for air. I walked cautiously towards him. As I reached him I put my hand gently on his. Scraped and cut...while my hand was still tan and unharmed.
"Dom, I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have distracted you. Its all my fault." I placed my head on his pillow. Minutes of silent beeps...then they spiked turning into violently loud ringing. I panicked and ran for a nurse meeting her and a group of others mid hallway.

That's when things became fuzzy...surreal. The beeps and doctors brushing by me. I could hardly see his face anymore with the surrounding group. Chaos. It was a contained chaos...then a steady buzz rang through the room. They all turned to me. I couldn't move. Then I felt the room get shaky. There was a faint tingling all over me. And the only thing I could hear besides the machine was my hushed breaths. I started spinning in place and hit the cold hard hospital floor.

I awoke again in the now familiar bed. The same lump of man sitting in the only chair across the room. His face was buried in his hands. I looked around, disoriented. Without realizing it my hands were shaking. Billie glanced at me, his eyes guarded.

"I'm so sorry Reiley." He glided to my side and put his forehead on my own. Looking me dead in the eye, making sure he made his point.
"This was not your fault...do you hear me. It wasn't. The guy in the other car...he was speeding and drunk and high. Okay. You did nothing wrong." I couldn't feel his touch. His words were muffled. The only reason I felt the tears running down my cheeks was because Billie was wiping at them. I was numb. All I could feel was the stabbing pain in my chest.

He was gone. The one man who loved all of me, who never left me, never tried to make me cry. The good man. My good man...was gone.

cmnts <3