Between Lies and Promises

Hide From The Scary Scenes

(Tamara's P.O.V.)

After school me and Kian went to see Pippa. We actually bet on her, if she’s sick he paid for our milkshakes and if she was playing a new game I had to pay for them. I felt kind of bad about this. Not about the bet itself, cause we did that all the time actually, but betting on your friend it just feels not right.

When we arrived Mrs. Kao already opened up the door. “Oh, Tamara and Kian” she said defiantly surprised to see us. She was a small woman with short black hair and always wearing a dress. I always admire her for telling Pippa she was adopted, even when she was a kid. Because Mr. and Mrs. Kao were both Chinese too so if they never told her it would be totally believable that she was their real daughter.

“Pippa is upstairs in her bed, she has the flue so don’t stay too long. But I think it’s kind of you to drop by. So you guys have fun, I have to do some shopping. Bye” We said bye too and then she left. That was weird, she sounded nervous. She mostly was delighted to see us but now?

“I guess you owe me a milkshake” I said triumphant to Kian. “Not yet” he hissed between his teeth.

When we walked into Pippa’s room the light was out and the curtains were closed. “uhm, Pippa? ” There was a silence and I didn’t like it. It was like I could smell death again. The darkness, the silence, the bed and the body in it. I stood still in the doorway, my eyes locked on the sheets and what was supposed to be Pippa underneath it. There were weird thoughts going through my mind, things I didn’t want to think. Memories from before I didn’t want to remember anymore.

Then after this long silence there was hard sneeze. I jumped a little and then Kian burst into laughter. “Not funny” I said a little annoyed but relieved that I was released from my little scary moment. Kian pushed me softly in the room and with his other hand he opened the door a little further. “Hey Pips!” he said walking past me into the room. “So you are really sick this time. Too bad we didn’t know, we would have brought you cookies. Maybe next time we’ll bring you game” there was a sadistic tune in his voice. Pippa turned on a little light above her head.

“What are you doing here?” she said a little annoyed. “And you are not funny!” she glared at Kian. “You’re not very loved to today” I slapt him on the back. He forced a little smile on his face which was meant sarcastic.

“But uhm, we wanted to hang out so we went to see you” I lied. I couldn't’t tell we bet on her right? I mean not when she really was sick.

Well as you see I’m sick, so if you don’t mind I want to sleep some more!” she said turning off the again.

“Wow, what’s up with the grumpiness?”

“What do you mean grumpiness? I’m sick! Now you guys come in with your funny faces and blegh! Just go away!”

Both Kian and I were speechless, this wasn’t Pippa!

“uh… but..” I tried to say something but then decided I actually had nothing to say. Kian grabbed my hand and without a word he pulled me out of her room, out of the house.
None of us said a thing, we just walked all the way to the heart of the village in silence.

Kian bought me a milkshake and we sat down on a small bench.

“That was not Pippa” I said after a while.

“I know” he replied gazing into space.

That was actually the end of our conversation about Pippa. We sat there for a long time, the sun stood low and the streets were getting empty.

“Did you already made plans for our trip through the USA?” he finally said.

“Actually no, this time not. I just had this feeling that I wanted to do something big before… yeah you know what. And this was one of the first things that crossed my mind, I thought we could use my money and your van and that’s all I have for now.”

“I must say that I’m shocked. You and not planning something is just weird.”

I smiled a crooked smile. He was absolutely right, I planned everything I did. “Well Big C ( I never used the word cancer) wasn’t planned either and it made me realize you can’t plan everything. I just want to get in the van and go where ever it takes us you know, to do something spontaneous for once.”

Kian laid his arm around my shoulder and kissed me on my cheek. “Well the only thing we have to do then is to set a date” he smiled.

“Two days after graduating” I said. He looked at me in confusion waiting for me to explain. “My dad wants to throw me a small party for my graduating and I don’t think it’s a very good idea to leave with a hangover.”

“Two days after graduating it is.”He let his arm drop again and stretched himself out. “I actually am looking towards it. I never been on a real vacation before, and this trip thing got something excited about it.”

“Yeah, same here.” With that, this second conversation was over too.

~*~

At home every one was already sitting at the dinner table eating. It was a funny sight. Three big boys (cause my 45 year old father looked very young for his age) with a small boy sitting at one table. A real men household.

“Tam, you’re late” my father said. “I know daddy, I know. Me and Kian, we …” “Of course always Kian. Well just sit down and eat.” He wasn’t mad or something, he just always likes to tease me with the fact I spend a lot of time with a boy.

After dinner I went upstairs to my room to do some home work. But I couldn’t concentrate at all. Pippa’s angry face was all I could see in my mind. And what’s up with Mrs. Kao who seemed nervous? Something was not right here, and I didn’t like it.

“Tam?” A few seconds went by. “Tammy?” another few seconds went by then I snapped out of my thoughts. Tess, Oliver’s girlfriend stood beside me waiting for me to give her some attention. “Sorry, you were saying?” “I just wanted to ask if you like to come with us to the cinema?” “Tess, its Thursday?” “Since when do you care?” she raised her eyebrow.

That was a really good question. Ideas like going to a movie during a normal school week would be totally my idea. Since when did I care?

“C’mon even Lucas is coming with us! That says a lot, you know that.” “Luke is going too? I think I have no choice then.” “Gooood! We’ll leave at 8!”

I dropped my pen and walked over to my closet to put on some fresh clean clothes. I decided to wear my white dress with my red all stars. After I put some eyeliner and lipstick on I went down stairs. Three minutes before 8, that was a new record. I was even on time for once! But still I was the last one they were waiting for, as always.

“What movie are we actually gonna watch?”I said when we walked at the parking lot in front of the cinema. “You’ll see!” Oliver said with a huge grin that I didn’t trust.

And I was right for me not trusting him. We went to bloody horror movie. I could’ve known it! No wonder that even Lucas came along. My three brothers have this obsession with horror movies and all kind of scary shit. Even my youngest brother AJ who’s only a 13 years old! And I, I hated that stuff. It really scares the shit out of me. So that’s why they liked to bring me with them. They love to see me jumping up and down in my seat, covering my eyes, squeal every time I see blood. It was total nightmare.

But the worst part this night was that the only thing I could think about was Pippa and that scary moment in her room.

This night was gonna be a sleepless night………………………….
♠ ♠ ♠
YEEY! finally another chapter by me.
Read and comment!
otherwise we don't like you anymore.
no that was joke but still:
read and COMMENT!

thank you!

much love, Nienke