Maybe Nice Guys Don't Always Finish Last

A New Past Emerges

Image

“Mira, this isn’t a hard decision,” Blake said getting impatient and aggravated.

She still couldn’t get words to form. Instead of waiting for her voice, she ran into Blake’s arms. He reluctantly put his arms around her as Cory stormed out the door and slammed it shut. Mira was still in shock. All she wanted was for Blake to hug her back, but he wasn’t. She looked up at him and saw that he was just looking straight ahead.

“Blake…” she started, but didn’t know what else to say.

“You still have feelings for him don’t you?” he said.

Mira just looked at him. She couldn’t believe that he had just said that. Since he’s been staying here with her, she’s been so open with him, not only about everything, but especially with Cory. He knew that she didn’t want anything else to do with him.

“How could you say that?” she asked as her eyes started to sting.

“Obviously you didn’t see the way you looked at him. I’m out of here. I knew I shouldn’t have stuck around,” he said leaving the same way Cory did: storming out the door and then slamming it.

Mira couldn’t hold it in anymore. She sat down on the couch and cried. All she wanted was Blake back holding her. If taking back everything she’s done to him would bring him back, she would do it. The more she thought about the way she treated him, the more upset she got. She now realized how unnecessarily mean she’s been to him. She’s never treated anyone like she has him. And worst of all, he didn’t deserve it. She picked her phone up and was about to type in Blake’s number, but stopped. He wasn’t the happiest person right now. He would probably hang up or not answer at all she thought. Instead, she called Joey. She didn’t go into too much detail. She just said she needed someone here with her to talk to.

“Mira? Are you ok?” Joey asked arriving twenty minutes later.

“I hurt Blake… again,” she said as her tears slowed.

“What’d you do to him?” Joey asked with a small smile as he sat down beside her.

“Cory came. Right before he barged through the door, Blake asked me to be his girlfriend. So then Cory’s all you’re my girlfriend and Blake gets all no she’s my girlfriend. So then they start yelling at each other. They almost got into a fight. So by this point, I’m freaking out so much on the inside. I tell Cory to leave and he’s all like I’m not leaving until you choose one of us. From the start, I wanted Blake, but I just couldn’t say anything. I was too freaked out so I couldn’t say anything. After a few seconds of the Blake and Cory staring at me, I just run over to Blake and wrap my arms around him. I thought that was it. I’m Blake’s. End of story, right? Wrong. Blake gets all mad and says I still have feelings for Cory. Joey, I cannot remember how many times I have told him how much I hated to be around Cory. I really hate how I treated him though. I just want him here,” she said as her tears built up again.

“Mira, he likes you a lot. I think just seeing Cory and maybe the way he looked at you, it might have made him jealous. You should have heard him when you were actually with him. If words could kill, Cory would have been dead a long time ago,” Joey said with a smile.

“But still. He could have not left. He could have easily just sat and talked with me. It’s not like I can go anywhere,” she said putting her foot up on the coffee table.

“Oh, which reminds me, you’re coming to Blake and Adam’s contest tomorrow. They told me if one of them had to come drag you there, you’re going.

“No I’m not. Blake hates me now. He wouldn’t want me at his contest,” she said as she crossed her arms.

“At least go for Adam.”

“I guess,” Mira said with a sigh.

“There you go. But you should look sexy for Bilko tomorrow. At least make him happy to see you,” Joey said as he got up to leave.

“Whatever,” she said as Joey shut the door behind him.

She hopped back to her room. There was no need to use her crutches since he wasn’t there. She glanced down at the clock and it read 12:26. She figured sleep would do her good. That task wasn’t easy. For one, she didn’t have her medication before she went to bed. Her leg and hand was killing her. Blake usually gets it for her before she cuddles up to him to sleep. She missed him not being next to her. Even when she couldn’t sleep, just listening to him breathing relaxed her and made her smile. In her last attempt to fall asleep, she pulled his pillow close to her and took in the familiar scent of him. This was the wrong thing to do. Doing so, made her want him so much more. She never realized before how much she enjoyed his company and the little things he did for her. Before this, Mira never really fully understood the saying you never really know what you’ve got til it gone until now. Now that Blake was gone, she wanted to call him and spill her heart out to him. But if the situation was reversed and she was the one that left, she wouldn’t want him to call right away. Finally in the late hours of the night, she managed to get a few hours of sleep. She probably would have slept through the contest too if someone haven’t woken her up like he did a few weeks back.

“Up and at em, Ice Box. You’re going to make us late,” he said trying to pull the cover off of her.

Hearing him say Ice Box made her smile slightly, but that smile faded when the familiar Aussieness wasn’t there.

“Don’t call me that. Blake always did,” she said sadly while sitting up and staring at Adam.

“Aw, come on. Don’t be that way. You know he loves you,” he cooed at her.

“He doesn’t show it very well,” she said getting up.

“Well, neither do you, so I guess you two are even,” Adam said with a satisfied smile.

“I’m not going,” she said going into her closest and shoving a hoodie over her head.

“You don’t even want to go for me?” he asked acting hurt.

“Sadly, no,” she said on her way out to the kitchen.

“You don’t have to look at Bilko,” he said as she popped open a can of Rockstar.

“Uh, how could I not look at him? He’s favored to win.”

“But all you’re other buddies that you find attractive are going to be there,” he said teasingly.

“I don’t care. I only want one of my attractive buddies,” she said as she hopped over to the couch.

“But everyone wants to see you. All your little Mulisha buddies: Twitch, Deegs, and Luke. They’ve been asking when they were going to see you again. Oh and Potter, he’s been on me everyday since your crash,” he said as a small smile formed on Mira’s face. So small that Adam barley noticed.

“Well, then he could have called couldn’t he?” she said getting a little annoyed at the sound of his name.

Mira and Todd have a past. A past that she hasn’t told many people. The only two people that know are Tally and Kaya. She made a point not to tell Adam. There were once feelings between the two, but they called it off when their schedules got too hectic. She was still attracted to the guy, but didn’t think anything would come of it.

“He sent a few things for you,” Adam said reaching for a stack of clothes wrapped in plastic.

She took them and smiled. He sent her Mulisha gear.

“So are you going now?” Adam asked noticing her smile.

“I guess. But if Blake is being an ass or Todd is all… Todd, I’m leaving,” she said on her way to her bathroom to get ready.

Adam looked at her with a confused look. “Why would she leave if Todd is being Todd?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Todd Potter? Like it or not?

Comment?