Trembling With the Strings

Seventeen Candles

I awoke with a loud groan due to the fact that I had gotten less sleep than usual. My thoughts had kept me awake for well over half of the night. I was looking forward to Darius’ arms coaxing me out of a less-than-pleasant sleep, so I groggily swung myself onto my other side and opened my eyes.

“Are you kidding me?” I muttered angrily to myself, letting out a quiet growl as I took in the sight of pure loneliness. “I just can’t wake up with you beside me, can I?”

I grudgingly turned over and closed my eyes, not in the mood to fully awaken. Just before I had the chance to doze off once more, I heard the door creak as it was pushed open cautiously. I stared at the wall, glaring as Darius surely tried to sneak back into bed without being discovered. He wrapped his arms around me slowly, pulling the covers over him and letting out a small breath.

And I pounced.

“And just where were you?” I demanded, jumping out of the bed not so gracefully. I had meant the motion to be a very smooth transition from lying on the bed to standing on my feet, but my left foot was trapped in the covers and, with a thud, I fell flat on my face.

“Are you okay, sweetie?” he asked, a hint of mockery in his voice as he surely tried not to laugh.

“Oh, I have half a mind to slap that stupid grin off your pretty little face!” I groaned into the floorboards, pushing myself up. I managed to shake myself free of the sheets and threw an accusing finger at him. “Answer my question, Darius! It’s my birthday, and I wanted to wake up in your arms for the first time in a week! I want to know what’s more important than your future wife! I want—”

“Hush, little mockingbird,” he teased, pulling himself (with the elegance I lacked) out of bed and catching my hands. “And close your eyes.”

“Why? Are you going to magically disappear? Because I know how splendid you are at that little act!” I growled, tearing my hands out of his and pushing my bangs back. I let out a deep breath after he shook his head gently. “Okay, I’ll bite.”

“No, I will,” he purred. I couldn’t help but laugh, and he grimaced. “Yes, that was rather sappy, wasn’t it? Nevertheless, follow me blindly, my love!”

“Are you kidding me?” I breathed, slapping a hand over my eyes and letting my fingers slowly slide down my face, pulling my eyelids shut. “There. I’m blind. What next?”

“Next I carry you away to a tower where you shall never be seen again!”

“That’s so funny, I just can’t stop laughing,” I muttered dryly, gasping when my feet left the floor and as I was thrown carelessly over his shoulder. An oomph! escaped my lips when my stomach clashed with his shoulder, but I kept my eyes shut as he carried me.

“I love it when you’re quiet for once.”

“I love it when you don’t care that our honeymoon is tonight.”

“Oh, you’ll love me by then, I promise.”

I didn’t dignify him with a response, but I did get curious when I heard the sound of cars passing by and people whispering. It was then that I realized that I was wearing only one of Darius’ oversized shirts.

“I hate you! Put me down!” I begged, squirming and pounding on his back. “Good Lord, is this some game to you? I’m practically naked!”

“Stop it, Gracie!” he begged, and the world started spinning as Darius adjusted me so he could hold me as a groom would his bride. I tried to open my eyes, but his cool hand flew over my eyes. “You’re fine. No one would get away with looking at you; you’re mine, remember? All mine.”

“That’s a warm sentiment,” I mumbled, resting my cheek against his chest. I frowned for a moment at the absence of heartbeats, but the cool embrace repelled the fleeting regret. “Wanna know what Dante said to me once? It’s about you.”

“He probably called me more names than a lady would be willing to say, but if you’re willing to repeat his blasphemy—”

“No-no, it wasn’t anything that outrageous. He just compared you to an animal.”

“Did he now?” he asked, kissing my forehead softly.

I nodded, paying full attention to the rhythmic steps Darius was taking. We were obviously in the city, but I did not know where he was taking me.

“He certainly did. He seems to think we’re like a pair of breeding dogs.”

“We only had one kid. I don’t see why—”

“Not like that! You’re too literal.” I smiled, wrapping my arms blindly around his neck. “Just the way that you protect me so much.”

“What kind of lover would I be if I did not protect my woman?” he scoffed, letting out an unintentional breath. “Even if I am rather…territorial, you still love me just the way I am, correct?” I smiled, nodding. “That’s all that matters to me. Babe?”

“Hmm?” I mumbled, slowly being lulled to sleep.

“Don’t go anywhere.”

“Where would I go?”

“I don’t know,” he mumbled, his thoughts obviously somewhere else. “Just don’t ever leave my side. Not for one second.” He paused, but he didn’t hesitate long enough for a response on my part. “Do you want to see your birthday surprise?”

“Boy, do I!” I shrieked, cringing when my voice echoed off the walls.

Wait, walls?

“Good. I worked my ass off for this, and you of all people should appreciate it.”

“Can I open my eyes?” I asked, my heart racing as he placed me on my feet. “I feel like a toddler in a candy store!”

“Of course you can,” he whispered in my ear, kissing me softly.

I opened my eyes and groaned as I saw a grinning Darius staring down at me. “Get out of the way!”

“I’m the surprise!”

“No you’re not,” I muttered, smiling as he stepped aside.

My jaw dropped as I took in the sight before me. The most gorgeous pianos I had ever seen were within reach. I turned to the greatest man alive, not able to form a complete sentence. My mouth opened and closed a few times before I finally pulled myself out of my stupor and threw my arms around him.

“Mine?”

He laughed softly, returning my embrace. “Yours.”

I pulled myself out of his arms and examined every square inch of the piano store, unable to fully understand what he had given me. Fazoili pianos were everywhere, and it was like piano heaven!

“I know most people hate jobs and everything,” he started, sitting at one of the pianos, absentmindedly playing the lullaby I always played for Marcus. I don’t think he even noticed what he was playing, but I didn’t say a word. “But I figured this would make up for the whole Antonio thing. I also mentioned in the advertisement that you’d be willing to give piano lessons, so I hope you want to play a Fazoili.”

I turned to him, hurrying and practically tripping over my feet as I ran to hold him again. “I love you so much, Darius.”

“I love you, too. And don’t you ever say I don’t, because you have no idea how much money I invested in this place!” he teased, stroking my cheek gently. “And I did the liberty of having one of these babies shipped to our house, so you can play for Kai.” Darius patted the piano with his hand, smiling that charming smile of his.

“I don’t know what to say, Dray. I just… Thank you.”

“Are you kidding me?” he asked, suddenly standing up and pulling me into his arms. “To see you smile like that… I’d do anything.” I smiled sheepishly, my face turning bright red. “You don’t regret any of this, do you?”

“You’re ruining the moment. I love you. Why would I regret anything?”

He sighed, suddenly pulling himself out of my embrace and collapsing on the bench behind him. He threw his face into his hands. “I just… My heart stopped beating so long ago. When I asked you to marry me the first time, I didn’t even think anything about what you’d say when you found out about becoming like me. I didn’t care at all, Gracie. But now… I fell in love with you when you were a human. I don’t want you to feel like I’m making you give up anything. I’ll understand if you don’t want to go through with the whole ‘bite the bride’ thing.”

“You really need to stop reading my mind. I’m very fickle.” I knelt down in front of him and pulled his hands out of the way so I could kiss him. “You’re not escaping the ‘together forever’ thing. I’d die before I let you do that.”

“I’d die before I let you die.”

“Well, I’d die before I let you die because I died!” I made a face. “Don’t we have a wedding to get ready for?”

“I suppose we do.”

“Yes. Now help me get home. If you can recall, I don’t exactly know the way.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Getting closer and closer! And I have to say that the comments simply make my day, and I needed that after a hectic day of trying to figure out my logic homework! It's difficult when you lack common sense :p anyway, i have two more chapters typed up and i'm halfway through a third. Lately I've been randomly getting inspiration, so we'll see how long that lasts :)