Trembling With the Strings

Warm Feet; Cold Feet

“As your maid of honor,” Mary started as she curled my hair. “I must tell you that I’m so happy for you. But as your future sister-in-law, I must tell you that you are a trooper for putting up with my brother for as long as you have. I just don’t know how you’ll handle an eternity with Darius!”

“Unlike you, I happen to enjoy being around him. I hope you’ll brave your fear of seeing your brother often, because I want to see you around the house. I’d miss you if I didn’t see you every hour of every day,” I teased, messing with my bangs and bouncing Kai gently in my lap.

“Is that sarcasm I heed? Besides, of course I’ll come by. I mean, how else could I see my adorable nephew?” she cooed, tapping his nose. He nipped at her finger, and she laughed. “Too slow, little man. Unlike your mother, I am coordinated.”

“Now that you’ve finished making me feel absolutely wonderful on my wedding day, maybe you can tell me about this whole biting thing,” I said quietly, cradling Kai gently.

“Of course. I bet you’re really anxious.” I nodded, taking in a deep breath. “Well, Darius probably didn’t want to go over this because he was afraid about how you’d take it. He’s going to bite you after the I do’s, and it’s going to be in front of everyone. We don’t know how your body will handle it, but we’re hoping you won’t pass out until after the ceremony.”

I groaned, rubbing my neck absentmindedly.

“It’ll be okay,” she promised, hugging me from behind. “Hey, you love him. Love hurts sometimes, but I know Dray, and he won’t dare let it hurt you more than it has to. He’s probably going to be in more pain than you! He’s strange… But, hey, you’re gorgeous.” I smiled sheepishly. “And he’s a lucky man. Are you ready?”

I nodded, and she left me alone to stare at myself in the mirror. Kai started crying softly, but I held him to my chest and rocked him for a few moments. He fell fast asleep, and I let a single tear slide down my cheek. Everything was going to be so different, but it was for Darius.

And I’d do anything for that man.

“Gracie?”

I jumped in my seat when a face peered in, and I couldn’t help but smile when I saw Robbie. He looked so handsome in his tuxedo, and I thanked Darius for making him his best man. That was more than I could have asked.

“Hey, Robbie. What’s up?”

“I just wanted to check up on you, and you look amazing.” He smiled softly. “And I wanted to ask you a favor.”

“Anything.”

“Could you maybe talk to Marcy?”

“I do it all the time.” He had a strange look on his face, and it dawned on me. “Oh, my God! That is too cute! You like Marcy!”

“Tell the world, why don’t you?” He groaned. “She reminds me of you in some ways, only she’s certainly not interested in Darius. But aside from that, I want to wish you the best. I talked to Abigail, and she gave you her blessing, if it meant anything. Darius thought it would be best if she didn’t come, though, because she might have just said that. You know how she is.” I nodded, frowning slightly.

“That’s okay. I’m just glad you came. And I’ll definitely talk to Marcy. So are you ready to give me away?”

“Of course I am.” He grinned, holding an arm out. I stood up and took it quickly, smiling.

“Thanks for doing this. I know it might be a little weird.”

He waved it off as we walked. I handed Kai to Johnny as we passed him, and Johnny hurried into the music hall of Drakken’s house, which had been transformed into a gorgeous place for a wedding.

“You’re my best friend, Gracie. And I’m just glad Darius doesn’t hate me for the whole situation. Let’s see how he takes the news about his sister.” He made a face.

“He’s a very protective brother. Be careful.”

“I’ll keep that in mind.”

As we waited outside the double doors, my heart started beating furiously. The music started playing, and I almost considered tearing myself away from Robbie and running away to Canada. But those thoughts vanished the second the doors opened and I saw Darius waiting at that altar. He smiled as he caught my eye, and I would have stumbled if Robbie hadn’t caught me with a chuckle.

I practically ran trying to get to Darius, but Robbie didn’t yell at me for ruining the ungraceful bride walk. He just kissed my cheek and ran to his spot behind Darius and beside Dante and some of Dray’s other friends. Marcy was the only one on my side, but she was all I needed.

“I love you,” I whispered to Darius, not able to stop smiling.

“I love you, too,” he mouthed, catching my hand gently as we turned to face the man with the Bible (which I found to be rather ironic for various reasons).

I didn’t pay attention to what we were told to repeat, because I was too busy stealing glances to Darius. He took things a little more seriously than I did, but he put up with my childish grins and giddy trembling. But the overexcitement slowly transformed into fear as we got closer and closer to saying, “I do.” I was dreading the moment Darius would turn to me and whisper, “Are you ready?” But I sucked it up and answered the man’s question.

“I do.”

“And Darius, do you take Gracie Lynn Harper…”

I tuned him out, and I just watched Darius. He looked like he wanted to apologize, and he looked so guilty.

“I do,” he choked, squeezing my hands tightly.

My heart started beating in my throat, and Dray’s chest started rising quickly as his breaths sped up. “I love you, baby,” he whispered, kissing my forehead softly. “So much. Please know that.”

“I know,” I mouthed, biting my lip when he reached over and wiped away a tear from my eye.

“Don’t cry,” he begged, stroking my cheek softly.

Darius hesitantly caught my waist and pulled me closer, kissing my neck softly. I bit my lip, taking in a deep breath and bracing myself for the scream I would surely release. He moved so slowly, as if it was killing him as much as it was killing me. I was ready for it, I knew that. I couldn’t turn back.

But he pulled himself away.

“I can’t do this,” he whispered, turning away from me and walking down the aisle.
♠ ♠ ♠
Who thinks I'm such a jerk? ...Raise your hand and I will cry :( Kidding! Anyway, honestly, what did you expect from me? But there's 301 subscribers, so I must be doing something right! Oh, and I have one thing to say to the writer of this: "u have updated and thus i have something else to do :D lol and if my mother asks why the hell havent i done my chores, i blame it on u and ur addicting story >:)"

This is my rebuttal: I don't want your mother grounding me!

Anyway, until next time :)