People Change

The Fireworks Have Faded

Sydney sighed as she scanned her eyes around the backyard, only to find Brian watching her and Jason. Evening had long since arrived; the horizon had long since swallowed up the blazing golden sun. Full-on night approached quickly at their heels, and Jimmy flicked on the deck lights so everyone could continue to see. Sydney currently sat in Jason’s lap, her back resting against his chest. Jason’s cheek rested against her neck, and she could feel his warm breath on her collarbone. His arms coiled around her waist, and Sydney rested her arms on top of his. She felt so safe and secure in Jason’s arms, more so than she’d ever felt with Brian.

Speaking of which, Brian had been watching the two of them all day. Sydney wasn’t sure why; she’d taken a whole two months to get over the bastard, while it only took him a few days to get over her. He had no reason to disapprove of her being with Jason. She had something real and true with Jason, and over the past two months, she’d fallen deeper in love with him everyday. He was so dorky and cute; Sydney couldn’t help but love the guy.

Sydney knew she couldn’t keep putting off the inevitable, though. She needed to speak to Brian before the day was out. He needed to understand Sydney’s views. She believed they would help him be happier, because he sure didn’t look happy then.

“I’ll be back, babe,” Sydney said. She turned her head and pressed a kiss to Jason’s temple, slipping his arms away from her waist as she did so. Jason groaned slightly but let her go. Sydney walked up behind Brian and tapped him gently on the shoulder to get his attention. He turned, looking surprised to see Sydney standing there, acknowledging his existence for the first time that day.

“We need to talk,” Sydney told Brian. He didn’t respond, except to rise from his chair and follow Sydney back into Jimmy’s house. She led the way past the kitchen, through the living room, and into the dining room Jimmy rarely used. She flicked the light on as they stepped in before turning to face Brian, her arms folded over her chest.

“So...you and Jason, huh?” Brian asked, burying his hands in his pockets. Sydney didn’t respond immediately, instead watching Brian out of her pale blue eyes for several moments.

“Jason’s comforted me a lot lately,” Sydney answered, thinking deeply about what she was trying to say. “I’d been down in the dumps since the accident, and he helped cheer me up. When he officially asked me to be his girlfriend, he said he’d had a huge crush on me back in high school. Already, it was more than you could say. Love stories like ours don’t work out in reality. In fairytales, books, a romantic comedy or two, sure, it would work out perfectly; but in reality, none of it is true. You hated me in high school; I hated you just as much. I don’t think we were ever meant to fall in love in the first place.

“I think it would be best if you just decided to be happy with someone else,” Sydney continued. “I don’t know why you’re all pissy about me being with Jason, but you told me yourself you were over me. And it broke my heart all over again. It really did. And for a short while, I let it control and manipulate me until I was someone else. Then, Lanie forced me on a double date and I’ve been different...happier, since. I feel a connection with Jason that I never felt with you. With you, I think I always felt as though I needed to impress you, but with Jason...I could be a total nerd, and he’d still kiss me good-bye that night. Jason made me realize our relationship never had the connection we needed to make it last.

“Our fireworks have faded—no pun intended—and there’s not much either of us can do about it. The best thing would be for me to move on, and for you to move on,” Sydney said.

“And what? Just cut all ties with each other?” Brian retorted.

“No, of course not. We can still be friends—we were great friends before we ruined it by dating—but first you just have to stop being a whiny bitch and get back with Michelle. Jimmy told me that you never cheated on Michelle, not once, and he even told me why you broke up with her. And although I didn’t get a great first impression of the two of you as a couple, I think it would help you if you got back with her,” Sydney explained hastily. She didn’t want to sever all the strings attaching her to Brian; she just wanted to untangle them from each other so they were neat, orderly, and separate, exactly like they were supposed to be.

“So...you don’t hate me completely?” Brian asked. The two of them began to relax, and the tension in the air lessened so maybe a butter knife could slice through it easily.

“Not completely,” Sydney answered. “You’re still an ass, but I’ve come to expect that.”

One corner of Brian’s mouth tipped upward at that. Sydney smiled weakly back.

“I just don’t think Michelle would take me back,” Brian sighed, sinking into one of the straight-backed wooden chairs clustered around the dining table. Sydney remained where she stood, but chose to unravel her arms from each other.

“You’d be surprised how forgiving a woman can be,” Sydney said wisely. “Call her and explain everything. There’s more of a chance if you just tell the truth right away.”

“Okay,” Brian answered.

“And...call me, too. When you’re ready,” Sydney added. She sent one last, small smile Brian’s way before stepping out of the dining room, leaving him to his own thoughts.
♠ ♠ ♠
Heyya!

I hope that cleared up some stuff for you guys.
Also, some of you were confused as to why Michelle wasn't there.
Well, Brian and Michelle really haven't spoken since the accident. We'll just assume Michelle wasn't too thrilled about Brian having a girlfriend and kissing her without letting either Sydney or Michelle know about it. THAT'S why he thinks she doesn't want to talk with him. =}
I hope that clears it up. But if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Comments?