Hearts on Lockdown

Chapter 5

Jinx’s POV

Everyone got up and left the common room, either up to their dorms or out the portrait. Only Edward, Bella, Fred, George and me were left.

“Em, I’m sorry.” Rosalie said

“yer well you should have thought about that the first hundred or so times I told you!” Emmett yelled.

At that moment, I heard the common room door open and I tore my shocked gaze away from Emmett and Rosalie to see Alice and Jasper come through the portrait, wearing black and red capes.

“Stereotyping much?” I said in quite voice.

“It was cold. Shut up.” Alice says in her pixie-like voice.

“Vampires don’t get cold, Al”

“Oh…… well… um… we where going out and it looked cold out. Then I saw……” Alice said her voice trailing off, looking up the stairs to where Emmett had just disappeared, and then to where Rosalie now stood. Alice walked over to where Rosalie was standing looking after her former boyfriend. Then Alice stopped and looked up at the boy’s dormitory door. The next second Emmett walked out producing a piece of paper. Then he pulled a lighter out of his pocket and lit the piece of paper on fire. I heard Edward, Alice, Jasper and Rosalie gasp. The mortal eyes in the room could not see what the piece of paper was, but the vampiric eyes saw the writing perfectly.

“There’s more where that came from.” Emmett said turning around and walked back into the dorm. Rosalie just fell into Alice’s arms and if a vampire could cry that what she would have been doing right now. I leaned over to Jasper and asked what the piece of paper was,

“It was their 3 marriage certificates.” He said simply. Then Alice and Rosalie walked out of the common room, out of Jasper’s calm ability and we heard the far off scream of Rosalie in the forest. I ran up the stairs after Emmett, not knowing what the hell I was doing. I opened the door to see him leaning his head against the window frame.

“What are you doing up here Jean?” He said in a small voice barely able for me to hear. All the humor was gone from his voice so at first I didn’t realize that it was him who spoke. I walk over to where he is standing.

“Cause you’re my friend. And that’s what friends do.” He turned to look at me and I saw his face for the first time without a smile or a smirk, instead it was replaced by a look of pain.

“Emmett, I understand how you feel.” I said placing my hand on his freezing cold shoulder.

“No you don’t Jean. How could you possibly? Have you ever broken up with someone that you’ve been with for 75 years?”

“Well no but-”

“There are no buts when it comes down to that, Jean. I loved her. But she was breaking my heart. Well if I had one that is.”

“Emmett, you have a heart. It might not be pumping blood, but it is there. Don’t ever doubt that.”

“How could you possible know that?”

“If you didn’t have a heart you wouldn’t be up here wallowing away like Moaning Myrtle. Come on Harry’s got a sign up thing for extra prac classes of defense against the dark arts.”

“Jean, can’t I just stay here? I don’t need extra classes.”

“Nope you are coming with me. Even if I have to get Jasper or Edward up here. You are getting outta this room. No more moping around. You broke up with her because she looked down on people. And that was the right thing to do.”

“Jean….”

“Nope. You look funny without a smile or a smirk on your face. Get out.” I said hoping that this would bring his spirits up.

“You’re a bitch you know that right?” he said with a little of the old Emmett coming through.

“Yer you get that. Now get down to the common room before I have to ask one of your brothers to come get you.” I slapped him on the arm. It hurt like hell but I wasn’t going to let him know. He let out a small laugh.

“You know that didn’t hurt right?”

“Yes, now move! We’ll be late!”

“Okay, okay I’m going, I’m going.” He said getting up off the window ledge and walking toward the door. As I watched him walk out that door, it was like déjà vu. Not to long ago I had watched the boy I thought I would spend the rest of my life with walk out that very door for the last time. I fell to the floor in tears in seconds remembering that afternoon.

~Flashback~

“Why did you have to put your name in that stupid goblet, Ced?” I said sitting on the window seat of the boy’s dorm that Fred and George had kindly vacated while Ced and I had our little chats. There where too many boys in his dorm so we always kicked Fred and George outta there’s so we could talk privately. We had to be careful because he wasn’t supposed to know where our common room was.

“Why not? Eternal glory and prize money sounded pretty good. Plus, I’m still alive and tied for first place with Harry. Stop worrying. I’ll be fine.” He said leaning over to kiss me.

“yer, your going great so far. But what’s to say you wont come across some freaky creature you’ve never heard of and you lose. Not just the tournament but your life. You heard Dumbledore say that it would be dangerous, that someone could possibly lose their life.”

“I promise you I will not die tonight.” Then the door opened and Fred put his head around the corner.

“it’s time to go Cedric.” He said

“thanks George, I mean Fred… you know who you are.” Cedric said laughing.

“that’s Fred sweetie.” I said getting up off the window seat and wrapping my arms around Cedric.

“how can you tell them apart?”

“I’ll tell you if you make it out.”

“and then I’ll take you to one of those muggle, what do you call them? Movies?” he said laughing and wrapping his arms around my shoulders.

“deal.” He said as he leaned down and kissed me. Then he walked out the door leaving me alone in the boy’s dorm.

It would never see him alive.

~End of flashback~

How could he still have a hold over me? I had been to wrapped up in Emmett’s problems that I had forgotten. How could I have forgotten? He was the love of my life and I had already forgotten him.

Emmett was at my side in seconds. “Jean? What’s the matter?”

“This… was… the … last... place... I saw… Cedric… before he…” I said in between sobs. This was crazy he had been dead for more than a couple of months. I thought it was getting easier not harder.

“Whoa, whoa.” Emmett said in a soothing voice “Maybe you do have it harder than me. Okay, do you want me to go get Jasper?” I just nodded. I don’t think I could do this without him. Emmett ran out of the room and was back within seconds with Jasper. I looked up to see him standing there looking at me with as much pain and hurt on his face as I felt.

“Jas, please take it away.” I said crying.

“I cant take it away Jinx, I can only tune it down.” Then slowly I felt a wave of calm wash over me. I stood up and ran from the room, with Jasper and Emmett right beside me. I took the stairs down to the common room two at a time.

“What’s the matter Jinx?” George said standing up and walking over to me as I landed on the common room floor with enough grace that it could have been Alice who jumped.

“nothing. Its all over for now. Just lets go before I have another breakdown. I felt Bella’s arms around me pulling me into her.

“shh. Its okay now Jinx. It’s gonna be okay.” She said in a soothing voice.

“it was the last-”

“I know you don’t have to tell me. I’m surprised that you lasted so long. Here drink this.” She said handing me a bottle of butterbeer. I took it and took a sip. It instantly made me feel warm inside again.

“thanks Bells. And thanks Jasper and Emmett. I might not be as sane as you think I am, Emmett.” I said walking out of the common room. Then I stopped. “Hey are you two coming with?” I asked looking back at Jasper and Emmett. But they were gone.

“It’s okay Jean. They’ll meet us there.” Edward said. I hadn’t realized that he was coming with us.

“Sorry about that Jean.” I looked at him. He laughed. Shut up! I thought in my head. He looked down at where his and Bella’s hands were interlaced. I gave him a questioning look. What the hell? When did that happen?

“Nothing. He hand was too hot.” He said letting go quickly. Bella was blushing. Something was going on. Even if they didn’t know it yet.

“Drop it.” Edward said in a voice that kinda scared me. Fine but you owe me big time buddy! I said in my head.

“So where is this thing again?” Edward asked.

“Hogsmede.” Bella replied.

“Lead the way then.” He said giving her one of those stupid lop-sided grins he always used to give Tanya. I can see what’s happening. (What?) And they don’t have a clue (Who?) they’ll fall I love and here’s the bottom line, our trio’s down to two. (Oh) I sang in my head. Yer it was cheesy but hey it fitted them right? Edward looked around at me with a weird look. Get over it Edweirdo I said poking out my tongue. I laughed and ran ahead of them to the gate that would let us out to the small wizarding village that existed close to Hogwarts. I stopped at the gate, and waited for the two love birds to catch up.

“Come on you two lovebirds!” I yelled back at them. I saw Edward look around. No one was watching. In one sweeping movement he had Bella in his arms and was standing beside me.

“Well isn’t some one just a show off then?” I said as we both laughed. Bella just looked at us.

“Do not do that with out warning me!” she yelled at him although she was smiling a bit.

“Sorry Bella.” He said with that lop-sided grin. “I’ll warn you next time to close your eyes.”

“Oh there will be no next time Edward Cullen.” He just shook his head and jumped the gate. He got to the top o it and fell back.

“What in all that is holy?” he said somersaulting back into a standing position.

“Protection for the school, you pea-brained dragon poop.” I said laughing at his still confused expression.

“pea-brained dragon poop, am I miss Honeychurch?” he said and then picked me up bridal style then jumping 20 feet in the air. It was the only way he could scare me. The running I had gotten used to. But the jumping still made me quezy. Asshole I said in my head when he put me down. He gave me a questioning look. You really want to go there? WHAT THE HELL?Did I just hear Edward? It seams that way doesn’t it, Jean. HOW THE HELL COULD I HEAR EDWARD CULLEN’S THOUGHTS? Whoa hopefully it was just the extra gift that my grandmother had always talked about witches having. Tory had mentioned something about it too. But I thought it was just something else to scare me into not believing in that kind of stuff. Can you still hear me? I asked mentally.

Yes, jean I can still hear you and obviously you can still hear me judging by the look on your face

This is creeping me out too much, man. I need to see Dumbledore after we sign up for this thing of Harry’s.

10 minutes later at the Hogsmede.

“Hey guys” I said as Edward, Bella and I walked into Zonko’s wizarding joke shop, seeing Fred, George, Lee and the newest recruit, Emmett looking around at the shelves.

“Hey Jinx. You feeling better now?” George asked at the same time Fred and Emmett said, “Hey Jinx”

“Whoa! You guys need to stop talking like that. You’re gonna give me a head ache”

“Yer well don’t listen.” Emmett said coming up and hugging me. I felt safe in his arms. More than Edward or Jasper.

Say anything and I’ll burn your little pieces Edweirdo Cullen I say in my head.

Sure Is all he says. I look down at my watch.

“Shoot! Come on guys! Its gonna start in 2 minutes.” I say running from the shop. I hear Emmett, Fred, George and Lee put back everything that they had in their hands and run after me. I lead them up past the post office and turned up a side street at the top of which stood an small inn. A battered wooden sigh hung from its rusty bracket over the door, with a picture of a wild boar’s severed head, leaking blood on to the white cloth it sat upon. The sigh creaked in the wind as I stood under it waiting for the boys and Bella to catch up. I squinted through the grim on the window to see a group of fellow Hogwarts students, two hooded figures sitting by a table near a window, and a lady that wore a veil that reached her toes.

“are you sure that this is the place?” Bella said as she caught up and looked through the grim inside as well.

“yep, cause that’s Hermione, Ron and Harry.”

“come on then, get it over and done with. This place gives me the creeps.” Bella said giving a shudder.

“you can handle holding hands with a vampire, yet the Hogs Head gives you the creeps?” I say with a sly smile on my face.

Jean… Edward says threaten me to shut up.

Get over it Edweirdo. You like each other. I can see that. Just no making out in the halls. That’s gross I reply

Just drop it okay, Jean? We wouldn’t want your little secret getting out, now would we? I have a secret?

And what secret would that be Edweirdo Cullen?

The one with you and George making out beside the Lake

That never happened! I say yelling in my head. How the hell did he know about that crazy dream? Oh right, mind-reading vampire freak.

I swear to god Edweirdo Cullen if you tell a soul, living or dead, I will personally rip you apart and burn the pieces! I could hear him laughing in his head. It never happened! It was a dream! You wouldn’t know about them seeing as your DEAD! I say opening the door and with Edweirdo, Bella, Fred, George, Lee and Emmett following behind me.

“Hey guys sorry we’re late. Those four decided that Zonko’s was more interesting.” I said taking a seat at the back beside Ginny.

“Good timing you guys. It’s just about to start.” Said Ginny. Ginny Weasley is like a sister to me and Bella, seeing as Bella is an only child and my sister is all the way in Iowa. And the Borrow gets pretty full during the holidays with Fred, George, Ginny, Mrs. Weasley, Mr. Weasley, Ron, Harry, Hermione, Bella and Me, and sometimes Bill or Charlie or up until lately, Percy. It’s a wonder that Mrs. Weasley never went crazy.

“cool.” I said back. Then Hermione stood up.

“Er… well- Er- Hi” she said sounding a little bit more than nervous. “well you all know why you’re here. Erm… Harry had this idea…” at this point Harry shot her a look “I mean I had the idea that it might be good if people who wanted to study Defense Against the Dark Arts – I mean, really wanted to study it, not that rubbish that Umbridge is doing with us, because no one could call that Defense Against the Dark Arts-”

“hear, hear” said Anthony Goldstein. Hermione looked a little more confident now.

“– well I thought it would be a good if we took matters into our own hands. And by that I mean learning how to defend ourselves properly, not just in theory but doing the real spells-”

“you want to pass your Defense Against the Dark Arts OLWS too, though I bet?” this came from Michael Corner. This comment was immediately followed with Hermione saying,

“of course I do. But more than that, I want to be properly trained in defense because…because…” she took a great breath and finished “because Lord Voldemort is back.” The reaction was immediate and predictable. I felt a sharp twang in my chest; he was the asshole who killed my boyfriend. One of Cho Chang’s friends shrieked and spilled Butterbeer down herself; Terry Boot gave a freaky kind of twitch and Neville gave an odd yelp that he some how turned into a cough. Everyone was now starting at Harry.

“well... that’s the plan any way.” Hermione said. “if you want to join us, we need to decide how we’re going to do –”

“where’s the proof that You Know Who’s back?” said a blond Hufflepuff.

“well Dumbledore believes it-” Hermione started.

“you mean, Dumbledore believes him” said the Blond again nodding to Harry. I started to pull my wand out to jinx the little slug, but Ginny pushed my hand down.

“don’t do it, Jinx” she warned in a whisper. I let go of my wand and placed my hand back in my lap.

“who are you?” Ron asked.

“Zacharias Smith.” Said the little blond prat. “and I think we’ve got the right to know exactly what makes him say You Know Who’s back.”

“look,” Hermione said trying to keep calm “that’s not really what this meeting was supposed to be about-”

“It’s okay Hermione.” Harry said. It seemed that most of the people here wanted to hear about the night last year when… no not gonna say it. I’ve already had one break down for today. I’m not gonna make it two.

“what makes me say that Voldemort is back? I saw him. But Dumbledore told the whole school last year, and if you didn’t believe him, then your not going to believe me, and I’m not wasting an afternoon trying to convince anyone.” He said looking a bit angry.

“all Dumbledore told us last year was that you brought Cedric Diggory’s body back to Hogwarts. He didn’t give us details, he didn’t tell us exactly how Diggory got murdered, I think we’d all like to know-” this time Ginny didn’t stop me pulling my wand out of my jeans pocket.

“get up.” I said to the little twirp in a voice that was far from friendly. He looked around in his seat. I must have looked pretty pissed because not one person tried to stop me. “I said get up!” I yelled at him. The blond prat looked scared. He got up out of his seat and looked at me. “Harry has told the people who cared about Ced how it happened. You did not care. So you do not know.”

“ohh is Ceddies Girlfriend gonna go have a cry?” the boy said. He had courage.

“no. although you on the other hand-” I raised my wand but before I could jinx the little prat, I felt a cold hand wrap itself around my wrist and pull my wand out of it with the other. Then I felt a wave of calmness wash over me. I gave Jasper an agitated look. Why do these vamps have to spoil my fun?

In a split second the little slug was on the floor wriggling around like the slug that he is. I look towards Ginny who had her wand out pointed towards him. Then I see on my other side, Bella in the same position. The mix of the two hexes had a great effect. I got to find out what they were.

“She still in love with the dead guy?” one of the second years said.

“What’s her problem? Still in love with her dead boyfriend” this was from a fourth year.

I couldn’t take these smart comments. I walked up to Hermione.

“hey can I just write my name down now. I’ll try and not jinx anyone in class, Harry. As long as they respect my friends, both past and present.” I said to Hermione and Harry.

“sure Jean. Here you go. Hey sorry, for well, what just happened.” She said. I just nodded and wrote my name down on the piece of parchment that she handed me.

“thanks” I said and walked out the door. I headed straight for the Three Broomsticks. I stepped inside and walked over to the bar and ordered a Butterbeer.

“make that two.” A voice said from beside me. I looked up and saw Emmett standing there.

“What are you doing here?” I asked. I wasn’t in the mood for his light heartedness.

“I came to see if you’re okay. That’s what friends do isn’t it?” he said throwing my own words back at me.

“You were moping after a girl you had just dumped. I’m moping after my former boyfriend who was killed by a freak of nature. Different.” I said walking to a free table at the back of the bar in the shadows.

“A little but, we’re both moping over former lovers.” He said with a slight hint of sadness back in his voice.

“Yer. But you have a chance to get Rosalie back. There’s no way I can bring Cedric back.”

“Not after what I just did. I doubt she’ll talk to me for the next century.” He said. It was still a little weird for them to refer to centuries, like I refer to weeks or months, but I guess you get that when you live with vampires for nearly an entire summer.

“I didn’t know that vampire’s drank Beerbutter.” I said changing the subject.

“We don’t I just thought that you could do with another one after your finished that one. And it would look a bit strange, if I were to sit with you and not have a drink in front of me. So you wanna tell me what that was back there? Or do I have to ask Edward?”

“I just can’t stand people who say stuff like that. Like he just died, and that no one cares anymore. Yer he died, that doesn’t mean that I don’t still love him. Love goes beyond the grave. I mean Alice and Jasper are living proof of that. I just can’t stand the snide remarks anymore. I’ve past the stage where tears start to form in my eyes at the mention of his name. Now I just get really pissed If people diss him.” Emmett just smiled and nodded.

Alice’s POV

“Rose, come on. You’ve got to get over it. You guys will have forever to work it out.” I said as Rosalie paced the forest floor.

“You don’t get it though, Alice. You and jasper have never broken up. Jasper hasn’t made a fool out of you by yelling at you in front of a quarter of the school! What you and jasper have is well… it’s like from a fairy tale.”

“Rose, calm down or I’ll have to go find him. You two have broken up before, and you’ve always got back together.”

“But this time it’s really bad. I can’t help people looking at me with awe. They just do.”

“Yer but you don’t have to look down at them. They might just be human, but their magical humans. They can kill with two words. You don’t want to get on their bad side.” I have to tell her this. I’ve seen what the future for her and Emmett looks like. And it’s not good. They will never be more than friends again, but they can at least talk civilly to each other. The way they are going now, I don’t see them even in the same country as each other at any one time.

“I can’t help it! I’m older than most of them by a hundred years! And I can kill people with a single-” I froze. Then my vision went to a dark pub. Jasper on the back of a young boy. Harry Potter. Then Rosalie was back in my vision.

“Rose, we need to go. Now!” I said already running towards the little wizarding town where the meeting was being held. When I got to the end of the street, I saw jasper walk out of the pub with something that smelled so enticing I wanted to fight him for it. It would be more filling than the creatures that rose and I had just had. I had to pull myself together. I would not betray Carlisle. “Jasper! What have you done?” I said in a low voice from the other end of the street.

“Oh, Hi Alice! Want some? There’s heaps more inside.” He said as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened.

“No! Jasper, how could you do this? Professor Dumbledore asked you here to help protect Harry! Not drink him dry!” I stared at him in shock.

“What are you talking about Alice?” he asked now standing in front of me.

“I’m talking about that cup that you have in your hand and the dead body of a boy who has nothing, inside!”

“Alice, this isn’t Harry’s Blood. It’s a mix of Deer and sphinx. It’s really quite good.” He said moving the flask so it was under my nose. I leaned forward and took a sip.

“Wow. It is good. Where did you get that from? Can we get some in bulk?” I asked handing the flask back to Jasper.

“Alberforth, the barman, said that Dumbledore had told him about us, and that he knew of a place that sold it, so he went and got us a couple of barrels. We can’t drink it all the time though. He said it had never really been tested, so there might be some vampiric side affects.”

“Okay, so now that’s sorted out, Jasper can you please calm Rose down before she has another break down.” I say putting my arm around his waist and walking back down the street.

“No thanks, I’m going to go and hunt normal things. Like elk and deer. I’ll see you guys in the morning.” Rose said and took off running.

“She’s confused.” Jasper said to my questioning look.

“About what?” I asked already knowing the answer though.

“About us having the perfect relationship when her's just broke down.” I just nodded as we turned into the deserted street that was behind shops that people always went into, missing the vampire shop completely. So therefore they did not feel the urge to go into. Just as we opened the door I froze. My vision was of Bella and Edward kissing in the common room. Them holding hands and Bella wrapped in a blanket sitting on the couch with Edwards arms around her.

I came out of my trance and smiled. I was right.

When we walked inside the shop, we saw hundreds of things that would be incredibly useful in the near future with what Professor Dumbledore has asked of Jasper and me. There was every thing from blood lollie-pops, to icy-poles to drinks that you can make by just adding some powder to water. It was like a grocery store for Vampires.

“Hello Jasper, Alice.” A familiar voice said from behind the shelves of blood-moctails. The voice sounded friendly enough but you never know with vampires……

They can turn with a moments notice.

“Tamika?” Jas said as he rounded the corner of shelves.

“Hey there hottie!” she said throwing her arms around his shoulders

“Back off. He’s mine. I said coming around the corner holding up my ring finger to show the promise ring, Jasper had given me 20 years ago.

“Congrats darl!” She said letting go of Jas and wrapping her arms around me in a tight hug. Tamika was a nomad vampire that Jas and I had meet on our way to meet Carlisle. She was a sweet vampire who had the ability to turn any thing to dust by just looking at it. Of course she had to learn to control it, but I had seen her turn many a vampire into dust without even a second glance.

“Thanks sweetie. What brings you here to this small part of London?” I asked.

“Well, I’ve been friends with the headmaster of the school nearby for quite a while and he asked for a favor this year so I came. What brings you here?”

“Same reason, only we didn’t know the headmaster before hand.”

“So you’ve meet Dumbledore?” she asked

“Yes. You told him about us, didn’t you?” understanding dawned on me at last.

“Indeed I did. I wanted to see how my favorite couple was doing. So what’s been happening? It’s been what? 40 years?”

“At least. Alice? What is it? What do you see?” Jasper said as I suddenly froze.

All I saw was Bella kissing some other guy. I broke off into a run. I wasn’t gonna let this happen after 60 years of Edward moping around, lonely.
♠ ♠ ♠
F.I.G.J.A.M - Butterfingers
F.I.G.J.A.M, Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
Ok these mental convosations are realling pissing me off lol. Ive just done all the coding so its italics and thats heaps man!

xx