Status: Complete.

This Truth In Cliche

Not Meant To Be

I stared at my shoes as took the winding path through the trees in the park, stopping every now and then to try my luck at finding a four leaf clover. My iPod softly played as I tugged my jacket a little tighter around me then shoved my hands down in my pockets. The trees were turning a golden color and the air got fairly chilly causing me to think about wanting hot chocolate or a coffee. Then my phone starting ringing, I smiled when I saw Max’s name pop up under incoming call. “Hey Max.”

“Hey Charlotte, how are things?”

“Well I had a wonderful night with Blake.”

“Not what I meant and you know it. How are things with Ronnie?”

I sighed and said, “I know, I just don’t like talking about it. Besides we’re over what is there to talk about?”

There was a pause before Max spoke and when he did, it was softly. “Yeah but I just like to know you’re okay.”

“Well I appreciate you caring and all, just please let’s not talk about him.”

“Alright. Well Craig and I are going to see a movie wanna come with us?”

“That sounds nice. Can you pick me up at the park?”

“Yeah.” He said then clicked off.

I made my way to the front entrance of the park to find Max and Craig already waiting for me. So I opened the door and slid in shotgun since Craig sat sprawled out in the back seat. We ended up sneaking in to see a movie because well we didn’t want to pay. I sat in between Max and Craig on the very top row with my feet propped up on the seat in front of me. Then about a third into the movie Craig started fidgeting in his seat and said, “I’ll be back, I’m going to get popcorn to throw at those people down there. Want anything?”

“Uh, yeah. Just an Icee.” Max said at the same time I said, “No.”

Craig left, a few minutes later I felt Max’s hand on my knee and he ran it half way up my leg to meet my hand. I am not going to lie this is a bit awkward. Next thing I know Max is pulling me towards him. I froze as his lips touched mine and lightly pushed him away. “Max, you said you wouldn’t do that again. Do you know how awkward this is for me?”

He looked down at his hands and bit down on his lip ring. “I’m sorry.” He mumbled and buried his face in his hands.

Fuck. Max is just a friend and kissing him is, how should I say this, different. Yeah, well it’s just I don’t like seeing him like this, all emotional I mean. The last time he acted like this I ended up saving him. I just don’t want him doing something he’ll hurt himself over. “Max. Max, look at me.” I said then removed his hands from his face so he could look at me. “Look, you know I can’t get into something like this and I’ve let last time slide and I’ll do it again, in fact I’ll let you kiss me one more time if,” I paused as I got his attention, “you promise to never do it again. Okay?”

“Alright.” He said smiling attentively.

I closed my eyes as Max put his hand behind my ear and pulled me towards himself. I felt the metal of his lip ring touch my lower lip seconds before his lips locked on mine and a chill shot through my spine. He moved his palm to my jaw and made slow gentle circles with his thumb on my cheek. I’ll give the boy credit he is a good kisser but that still doesn’t make this right.

“Did I miss something here?” Craig said, standing in front of us.

“Uh, no.” I said as I pulled away and sat back in my seat.

“Right.” He said as he flung some popcorn.

I glanced over at Max and he was grinning while watching the movie. As I turned to do the same I felt Max’s hand being laced with mine. I sighed, rolling my eyes, will he ever learn?
♠ ♠ ♠
Ahh, I know it's a bit irrelevant and took me awhile to update but I've been a bit crazy with school. On the bright side i'm not in spanish. Now I'm in law and justice. :)

Comment/Rate.
Subscribe.
Title Credit: Theory Of A Deadman