When the Words Mean Nothing I'll Still Be Singing

Hay gorgeous

Tom made the rest of the week fly by. He walked me to and from school. And he ate lunch and recess with me. I hated to admit it but I’d fallen pretty hard for the younger Sykes brother. He and Oliver were polar opposites, and I think that was one of the most attractive things about him. I could trust Tom not to hurt me like Oliver had, and still does.

Tom was sent to me by some higher power. I knew it! And I’d be damned if I let anything ruin what was developing between us. Even if it didn’t go any further then friendship, that was all I really needed. I was tired of being alone.

“Hay gorgeous” Tom greeted me at my locker Friday after noon. I was getting my sketchbook.

I had blushed at the fact that he had called me ‘gorgeous’. I knew I wasn’t. I was too skinny, almost sick looking. I was pasty white and short. I wasn’t all that pretty, probably just average. My naturally black hair was slightly curly and fell to my shoulders, there wasn’t anything exciting about it. But even if he was lying it was still nice to hear.

“Hi Tom” I smiled.

“So… how does getting some ice cream with me sound?”

“Well Tomas, that sounds like the best idea you’ve ever had.: I teased as I closed my locker and stuffed my sketchbook into my HIM book bag, “I’m assuming you’re paying for said ice cream?”

He smiled his heart stopping smile as we started to make out way out of the school, “of course I am, isn’t that the proper way? Whoever asks the person out pays- not that this is, like, a date or anything!”

I raised an eyebrow at him, “I know.”

He smiled awkwardly and laughed, “sorry…”

I shrugged, “whatever.”

I wasn’t sure why he was apologizing. But it didn’t really matter. I was happy he was walking near me! Words couldn’t describe how good it felt to have a real friend.

Once we got to the ice cream parlour Tom ordered us a large banana split that we happily shared as we told each other of our day.

“So.” Tom said as we finished laughing about Oliver getting slapped during lunch by one of his one-night-victims, “why do you and Oli hate each other?”

I was taken back by his question. Why did we hate each other? I had no idea to be quite honest, “I don’t hate Oli,” I said sadly, “that’s something you’ll have to ask him.”

Tom silently nodded, he gave me a sympathetic look. I assumed he noticed how down I’d gotten just thinking about Oliver’s hatred of me.

“I didn’t mean to upset you-“ he began apologizing.

“It’s fine.” I cut him off. I didn’t want sympathy. I didn’t want to think about Oliver and the past. I just wanted to focus on here and now with Tom.

“Alright.” He said, clearly unsure if he should believe me or not.

“Really Tom, it’s fine… I’m over it.” I smiled reassuringly.

He must have believed me that time because he grinned and took another mouthful of ice cream.

Toms P.O.V.

After out ice cream I walked Hunter home. We made plans to go to a movie the next night. Saying I was excited was an understatement. When I got home I found Oli and Matt N in the living room watching some dumb movie about a priest, I think it was called The Order.

I sat down with them and silently watched the movie for a few minutes. Trying to figure out the best way to ask Oli the same question I had asked Hunter, why did he hate her? I decided it was easiest to just come out with it.

“Oli?” he looked over at me to show he was listening, I looked down at my hands, “why ah… why do you hate Hunter?”

Matt suddenly got up and hurried out of the room, “I uh, gotta use the toilet.”

I looked back to Oli after watching Matt leave. Oli was giving me a death glare. I don’t think he’s ever looked at me that way before. No wonder Matt had practically run away.

“What?” he asked dangerously.

“Why do you, ah… hate Hunter?” I asked quietly.

He looked ready to kill, “it doesn’t matter. Just stick with the fucking plan.”

He got up and left the room. All I could do was sit and watch him. I was afraid that if I even moved a finger he would run back in the room and kick my ass. I couldn’t imagine why my question made him so angry.
♠ ♠ ♠
thanks to La Roux, CypherToorima, and Zacky baker; for commenting! You guys are the best! And this one’s for all three of you!