Never Tear Us Apart

He's Gone

*Anna’s P.O.V*

I stood there, staring blankly at the two officers in front of me.

No, this can’t be happening. Not again. I don’t know if I can deal with going through all that pain yet again.

I felt tears begin to sting my eyes.

“Are you sure it’s him?” I said quietly, hoping silently they had made some terrible mistake.

“Very sure Ma’m.” Sergeant James said.

I whispered a very quiet “thank you” and walked over to my remaining family.

I sighed heavily and sat next to Jack.

Jack. The boy that was soon to become a man. The boy who would grow without the guidance of his father.

I single tear ran down my cheek.

Jack wrapped a strong arm around me and rubbed my shoulder affectionately. He knew how much Dad means to me.

I could hear Mum uttering soft words in between her violent sobs.

I sighed loudly and got up.

I need to keep myself occupied; it was like my way of dealing with things. I never liked to sit there and wallow in my thoughts. I never liked to lie around and think about my loss, it hurt way too much that way.

I pulled my phone out of pocket and looked at the time. 2:43. Gerard should have landed by now.

I took a deep breath as I dialed the number.

I held the receiver to my ear and waited for an answer.

“Hey babe.” Gerard said happily.

“Hey…” I said quietly.

“What’s wrong?” Gerard asked worriedly, knowing instantly by the tone of my voice that something was up.

I felt a huge lump rise in my throat, and hot tears slowly stream down my face.

“Anna?” Gerard asked.

“It’s Dad…” I chocked.

“What happened?!” Gerard asked loudly.

“He’s gone Gerard… Gone forever…” I said quietly into the phone.

“Anna. I- Tell me your joking please?” Gerard stuttered quietly.

“I’m not! He’s gone Gerard! He’s dead!” I cried.

“Where are you? I’m gonna go straight there after leaving the airport.” Gerard said quickly.

“I’m at Mum and Dad’s.” I whispered.

“I’ll be there soon…” Gerard said softly.

“Gerard?” I chocked before Gerard hung up.

“Yeah?” Gerard said.

“I love you.” I whispered.

“I love you too Anna.” Gerard whispered back before hanging up.

I wiped my damp cheeks with my sleeve. Sighing deeply, I tried to pull myself together.

I don’t think it had really hit me yet. Reality hadn’t seemed to sink yet. But the thought of not having my Dad there for support broke my heart. And at that moment, that’s what hurt the most.

I sat down where I was, in the middle of the windy, crushed rock driveway.

I buried my head in my hands and hummed.

My humming soon turned into quiet singing, which soon turned into slight sobs.

“Don’t leave me please.” I whispered, praying that he would hear me, but knowing it wasn’t ever going to happen.

I sighed and rolled over onto the grass nearby.

I looked up at the pure blue sky, filled with lots of white, fluffy clouds.

How could such a great day turn into such a horrible one? Come think of it, I’d hate to be a police officer; you’d have to deliver news like this all the time

I closed my eyes and thought about something else. Anything beside what was going on around me.

I thought about how much shit I was most likely going to get into for leaving school without notice. Yeah, that was a good distraction.

I sighed again, and stood up.

I walked over to where Jack and Mum were still sitting. The two police officers came over and politely sent us their best wishes before leaving.

I slowly sat up on the verandah and buried my head in my hands.

I let myself think about what was happening around me. I still didn’t believe it; I didn’t want to believe it.

I sat there silently, and I could feel more tears start to sting my eyes.

I looked up when I heard a car slowly drive up the driveway.

I leapt off the verandah and ran towards the car.

Gerard stepped out of the car, took a step forward, and outstretched his arms.

I heard myself sobbing quietly as I ran into Gerard and held him closely to me.

“I’m so sorry.” Gerard whispered, stroking my hair and gently swaying side to side.

“He’s gone.” I whispered, feeling tears slowly stream down my soft, pale cheeks.

“He’s gone.” I repeated, allowing it to slightly sink in, as I closed my eyes…

___________________________________
How am I going with this so far?