Status: Complete - Check out the sequel :)

When Duty Calls

Chapter 11

Andie sat in the kitchen flicking through a fashion magazine that Michelle had left on the table, enjoying a rare quiet moment. She glance at her watch, noting that the soup she was making should be about ready and stood up. As she turned towards the large pot on the stove she heard the clicking of heals on the tiled floor indicating that Michelle had walked into the kitchen.

“Mmm something smells good.” She mused coming over to stand next to Andie and inhaling the aroma.

“Chicken Soup.” Andie replied with a smile. “I wanted to make some to take over to Rhian and thought I’d make a large pot so there’s enough for us all later.” She explained.

“She still not good?” Michelle replied as she sat down with a bottle of water she had got out of the refrigerator and began flicking through the magazine Andie had just been looking through.

“No, she’s really full up with this flu, I tried talking to her on the phone earlier but it was impossible, she’s barley got a voice. She’s got a fever and is all congested and stuff as well.” She explained as she reached for a container to put some of the soup in.

“Oh bless her, she’s lucky she’s got such a good friend to look after her.” Michelle replied.

“Yeah, so I was hoping seeing that you’re home and Connor is going over to Lennon’s after school…”

“Go take care of Rhian, it’ll be nice to spend some time with Ella, it feels like I barely see them recently.” Michelle replied with a warm smile.

“Thanks Michelle.” She replied with a mirrored smile. She finished putting the soup into the container and sealed it with the lid before grabbing a carrier bag off the counter and placing the soup in with the other items that she’d already got together ready to take over to Rhian’s.

“Ok, I should be back in time for dinner, see you later.” Andie said with a smile as she put her jacket on and picked up the bag of goodies off the counter.

“Bye Hun.” Michelle replied, looking up briefly from the magazine to watch her walk out of the house.

Andie walked the few blocks to Rhian’s house and let herself in using the key she’d been given for emergencies. As expected the ground floor of the house was quiet and in darkness so Andie made her way into the deserted kitchen and quietly took a pan off the shelf and turned on the hob. She took the soup out of the bag and poured it into the pot and allowed it to heat up gently as she grabbed a bowl and a spoon and placed them on a tray she’d retrieved off the counter. She then put the kettle on to boil as she took out a jar of honey out of the carrier bag. As she waited for the soup to warm through, she grabbed a bottle of whiskey from one of the cupboards and added a large splash to the mug she’d put a spoonful of honey in and added the boiling water from the kettle.

As she was about to pick up the tray to take it up to Rhian’s room, her cell ringing caused her to stop and check the message.


“Please tell me that’s you stumbling around down there?” Andie chuckled as she replied to Rhian’s message and made her way up the stairs.

“Hey Hun, feeling any better?” she asked as she pushed the bedroom door open.

“Not really.” She croaked faintly.

“Oh Hun, well, I hope this will make you feel better.” Andie replied with a smile as Rhian pushed herself up in her bed so Andie could place the tray on her lap.

“Mmm, is this your mom’s chicken soup?” she said quietly struggling to take a sniff.

“Yep, and the famous Jennings Hot Toddy as well.” She replied pointing to the mug of steaming Amber liquid.

“Urgh, with honey?” Rhian said scrunching up her nose is disgust.

“It’s good for you, better than those flu drinks. So drink.” She said sternly with a smile as Rhian leaned forward to make a start of her soup.

“Mmm, this is heaven, please tell me there’s more of this.” she muttered quietly as she enjoyed the soup.

“There’s enough soup downstairs for another bowl and if you’re still not feeling up to eating a proper meal tomorrow I’ll make another batch if you like.” she replied to a smile and a nod from Rhian.

“Do you fancy watching a movie with me?” Rhian said, already sounding better as she took small sips of the hot toddy after finishing the soup.

“Yeah ok, I’ll just run this back down to the kitchen.” She replied.

No sooner than they’d began to watch Toy Story two they were disturbed by the doorbell ringing out faintly from downstairs.

“That might be Jimmy, he said he might pop over.” Rhian said with a smile creeping across her lips as Andie rose off the bed to go answer it.

“Ah, how sweet that he’s coming over to take care of you.” she replied in a half mocking voice as she disappeared through the door.

She walked quickly down the stairs and opened the front door to find a smiling Jimmy stood on the step armed with a box of tissues.

“Hey Jim, this must be serious if you’re willing to come take care of her when she’s ill.” She teased as she stood away from the door to let him in.

“Hey, I’m just that kind of guy.” He replied as she closed the door behind him. “Where is she anyway?”

“Upstairs in bed, we’re watching Toy Story two.” She replied.

“Cool, I love that film!” Jimmy cheered with a smile, almost sprinting towards the stairs, climbing them two at a time.

Andie laughed as she slowly climbed the stairs after him. by the time she walked back into the bedroom Jimmy had removed his shoes and was led on the bed, Rhian wrapping her arms around his waist as she snuggled closer to him.

“Am I not needed anymore?” Andie asked trying to hide the smirk that was threatening to grace her lips.

“Oh don’t be such a whinny bitch, get your ass on the bed and watch the film, I know you love it.” Rhian replied hoarsely.

“First one’s better.” Andie muttered with a smile as she made her way to the other side of the bed.

“Oh now who’s that?” Rhian groaned at the sound of the door bell a little while later.

“I’ll go see.” Andie replied hoisting herself off the bed again. As she got to the bottom of the stairs the doorbell sounded again.

“Ok, ok, give us a sec will you.” she muttered as she crossed the hallway and swung open the door. Her breath caught in her throat when she saw Brian stood on the doorstep, his trademark smirk set firmly in place.

“I thought I might find you here.” He said taking a step towards her, placing his hands on her hips to pull her closer to him.

“Bri, what are you doing here?” she said in hushed voice.

“I wanted to see you.” he replied as he began to kiss her neck.

“Bri, you can’t stay.” She replied suppressing a moan.

“Why?” he replied, his hands slipping up her shirt.

“Because Jimmy’s here.” She replied causing his head to snap back, his eyes wide.

“Shit, okay, I’ll see you later.” He replied, leaning towards her to place his lips on hers again.

“I’ll be making my way home soon anyway.” She replied in a whispered voice as he took a step backwards taking her with her.

“Mmm, it’s a pity Michelle is going to be there.” he replied with a smirk as he placed another lingering kiss on her lips.

“I’ll see you later.” She replied with a smile placing her hands on his to remove them from her hips. With a wink and a smirk Brian took another step backwards, allowing Andie to close the door. As she turned to head back towards the stairs she paused at the sound of footsteps coming slowly down.

“Who was it?” Jimmy said, his voice not sounding its’ usual cheery self.

“Um, oh one of those door to door sales men.” Andie replied quickly with a lie.
Jimmy nodded although his expression didn’t seem convinced. “Rhi wants her hot water bottle re-filled.” He said as he passed her at the foot of the stairs.

“Ok,” Andie replied simply as she went to climb the stairs. As she made her way up she was sure she heard Jimmy mutter something under his breath about kissing, her stomach turning at the thought that Jimmy may have seen her exchange with Brian.

“Who was it?” Rhian asked as Andie entered the room again.

“It was Brian.” she admitted quietly.

“Brian! Shit And, did Jimmy see?” she croaked.

“I don’t know, I told him it was a sales guy, but I have this bad feeling that he saw something.” She replied a feeling of nausea washing over her.

“Shit Hun. What was he doing here anyway.” She replied.

“He said he wanted to see me.” she answered, lowering her eyes to the floor.

“Shit Hun, that guys got it bad….” She went to say something else but stopped at the sound of Jimmy’s footsteps in the corridor.

“Anyway listen Hun, I’m going to shoot off. I’ll pop over again tomorrow with some more soup.” Andie said quickly as she sat on the edge of the bed to put her shoes on.

“Oh, ok Hun, thanks for everything, you’re the greatest.” Rhian replied with a smile as Jimmy lay back on the bed with her, his face still emotionless.

“Bye guys.” She said with a small wave as she left the room.

As she walked through the front door she was met by the smell of her soup. She made her way through to the kitchen to find Brian stood next to the stove, stirring the soup as he warmed it.

“Hey, I wasn’t expecting you back quiet so quickly.” he said as he turned his head at the sound of her footsteps.

“Where’s Michelle?” she asked quietly. Brian turned with a smirk, taking a step towards her.

“She’s just gone over to Matt’s, Lennon seems to have gone down with a bug of some sort so she’s gone to pick up Connor.” He explained taking hold of her hips and pulling her closer to him.

Andie wanted to speak, to tell him that she thought Jimmy had seen them, but she was distracted as his lips made contact with her neck. She moaned as his fingers slipped up under her top, drawing light circles on her stomach.

“Bri, stop.” She moaned.

“You know, I’d be a lot more convinced that you wanted me to stop if you weren’t moaning and grinding your hips to mine.” Brian said with a smirk. Andie blushed slightly as she realised that she was in fact pushing her hips to his and could feel him hardening.

“Shit.” She muttered quietly as Brian began to undo the button of her jeans. “No, Bri wait.”

“Its ok baby, we can have a quick fumble before they get back.” He replied with a smirk as he slipped down the zipper of his own jeans.

“I think Jimmy saw us.” She blurted out, knowing that if they got any further she’d forget what she had to tell him.

“Fuck. Really?” Brian said pulling away.

“Yeah, I can’t be sure, but I’ve got this horrible feeling that….he knows.” She replied pausing as her cell phone rang as it received a message.

“Shit.” She muttered as she read the message from Rhian. “Yeah he knows, he heard us on the doorstep.” She replied.

“Fuck, Shit!” Brian growled running a hand through his hair.

“What are we going to do Bri? What if he tells people…Michelle?” Andie replied that feeling of nausea coming back.

“Hey, it’ll be okay.” He replied, stepping forward to embrace her in a comforting hug.

“I don’t know if I can do this anymore Bri.” She muttered against his chest with a feeling of déjà vu.

“Baby, don’t say that again please. I want to be with you.” he replied as he cupped her cheeks and lowered his lips to hers in a soft, lingering kiss.”

“Bri.” Andie murmured against his lips.

“Yes baby.” He replied.

“I think the soups done.” She said with a smirk as Brian pulled away and turned to see the soup bubbling away ferociously.

“Shit!” he yelled quickly taking it off the heat as Andie giggled at the sight.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oooh So Jimmy knows....will he tell anyone....? Hmmm?

Anyway, this chapter is dedicated to Andie herself who ironically isn't feeling too great herself - hope you feel better soon hun :D

Rhian
Andie

Thanks as always to all who read and more so to those who comment :) More....?