Status: Complete - Check out the sequel :)

When Duty Calls

Chapter 12

Andie had felt sick for three days and it had nothing to do with the flu bug that seemed to be affecting the others around her. It did however have a lot to do with the fact that she had spent almost every waking moment worrying about Jimmy and whether he was going to tell anyone about what he'd seen at Rhian's. She had visited Rhian the following day as planned, hoping to get the chance to talk to her about what Jimmy had seen or heard. Her heart had sunk when he had opened the door to let her in. His usual happy demeanour disappeared the second he saw her stood on the doorstep, his voice had lacking its normal cheer, no sparkle in his clear blue eyes.

He had been polite to her but Andie knew it had all been for Rhian's sake not hers. With Jimmy there Rhian had been reluctant to talk and Andie hadn't wanted to stay there long.

Brian hadn't been able to talk much with Jimmy either. In the studio Jimmy had kept himself to himself, claiming to be either working on songs or worried about Rhian. Brian had told Andie that he was sure he knew as he was being too quiet.

Putting on a brave face Andie made her way downstairs to have breakfast. A genuine smile on her face as she heard Connors excited chatter as he talked to his father about the day’s upcoming events.

"...and if they hit the ball at me I'm going to catch it and keep it." he concluded happily as Brian chuckled at his son's enthusiasm.

"Personally I would be making sure it wasn't going to smash me in the face." Andie replied as she took her seat at the table.

"Yeah cos we wouldn’t want that beautiful face hurt would we?" Brian replied with a discreet smirk.

Andie blushed but smiled nonetheless. "Did I hear Ella in the night?" she asked as she helped herself to a slice of toast from the rack.

"Yeah, looks like she's got that bug now." Brian replied.

“Oh no. Is she okay?" she replied her voice and face showing concern.

"Not really, she's sleeping now, but she was sick in the night and hasn't eaten anything, she's not taking her milk either." he replied.

"Oh no, maybe I should stay here and help Michelle." She said part of her thankful for an excuse not to go to avoid Jimmy.

"But Andie you've got to come with us." Connor pleaded, his big brown eyes identical to his fathers captivating her heart as much as his fathers could. She sighed, producing a faint smile.

"Of course I'll come." she replied not missing the way that Brian's smile widened at her words, maybe more so than Connor’s.

“Awesome.” Connor cheered as he continued on with his breakfast.

After breakfast Andie returned to her room and proceeded to get ready for the game. As promised Brian had arranged for them to go to see the LA Angels play. Zack was taking Alicia and Rhian and Jimmy would be there too.

As she was tying the laces of her shoes, there was a small knock at her bedroom door.

“Come in.” she called, looking up to see the door open and Connor come bounding in dressed in the Angels shirt, a baseball mitt on his left hand and a hat on his head.

“Are you ready?” he asked, his eyes gleaming in excitement as he clambered up onto the bed next to her.

“As soon as this lace is tied.” She replied putting on her second sneaker.

“Cool, come on, dad’s waiting for us downstairs.” He cheered, slipping back off the bed and talking hold of her hand as she stood up.

“Wait a second dude, I need my phone and purse.” She said pulling him back slightly to grab them off her bed before allowing him to lead her down the stairs and into the living room where Brian was sat on the coffee table talking to Michelle who was led in the sofa, Ella dozing in her arms.

“Have a lovely time and be good for your dad and Andrea.” Michelle said quietly as Brian stood up.

“Of course mom.” He replied with his father’s smirk as he let go of Andie’s hand to quickly run across to place a kiss on his mothers’ cheek before returning to Andie’s side.

“Good boy, see you guys later.” She replied as Brian leaned down to press his lips to her cheek before following Andie and Connor.

“It’s going to be ok.” Brian whispered quietly as he and Andrea watched Jimmy and Rhian walk towards the car. She glanced briefly to look at him before her eyes feel back to Jimmy who was looking as if he was trying hard to concentrate, glaring between Brian and Andie.

No soon than they’d got in the car an awkward silence fell amongst the adults as Connor remained happy, greeting both Jimmy and Rhian happily as they took their seats next to him.

“Uncle Jimmy?” he asked turning to look up at him.

“Yes buddy?” he replied.

“Um, you know how Rhian is your girlfriend now?” he began, a thoughtful look on his small face.

“Um yeah.” A small chuckle escaping his throat as a small blush crept onto his face.

“Well does that mean I have to call her Aunty Rhian now? Like Uncle Matt and Aunty Val and Uncle Zack and….”

“Yeah I get it, um, well, Rhi, do you want to be called Aunty?” Jimmy replied almost stumbling over his words as his cheeks reddened.

“Of course you can call me Aunty if you want sweetie.” Rhian cheered happily a proud smile on her face.

“Cool.” He replied smiling and nodding as another uncomfortable silence fell amongst the adults.

There seemed to be a unified sigh of relief as they pulled up outside Zack’s house. As Alicia and Connor began to talk happily together Zack provided a welcome breath of fresh air to the adult company. Finally they arrived at the stadium and they quickly headed to their seats.

With Connor sat on her lap Andie began to watch the game with Brian on her left and Rhian to her right. At the end of the first innings, Andie found the perfect opportunity to talk to Rhian when Alicia whined about needing to go to the bathroom.

“Ok, so what exactly has Jimmy told you?” she asked quietly, not wanting Alicia to hear their conversation.

“Well, after you left, he was very quiet so I asked him if there was anything wrong. He told me that he overheard you and Brian talking on the doorstep and was sure that you kissed.” She replied just as quietly.

“Shit, what did you say?” she muttered in reply.

“I played dull, pretended that I didn’t know, tried telling him that you wouldn’t do something like that, but he just said that he knew what he saw and heard.” She replied.

“Fuck!” Andie muttered loudly.

“Mom said you shouldn’t say that word, she’s always telling daddy not to say it.” Alicia’s small voice scolded from behind them as she walked out of the bathroom stall over to the sinks reaching up to wash her hands.

Andie sighed “Sorry Alicia, it just slipped out.” she apologised.

“That’s what dad always says.” She replied with a sweet smile as she turned to walk out of the bathroom.

“Brian, will you help me get some drinks please?” Jimmy asked suddenly at the end of the fifth innings, leaning across Rhian to talk to him, his face remaining sombre.

“Um, yeah, sure dude.” Brian replied hesitantly glancing briefly at Andie before he moved past her and followed Jimmy from the stand.

Instead of heading to the refreshments vendors, Jimmy continued to a quieter area of the stadium, stopping abruptly and turning to face Brian.

“What the fuck are you doing dude?” Jimmy seethed his arms crossed over his chest.

“Following you dude, the drinks stall is way back there.” Brian replied with a smile, trying to act as if he didn’t know what Jimmy was on about.

“You know full well what I mean Brian, I saw you, I heard you. How long has this affair been going on?” he asked angrily.

Brian sighed, his smile leaving his face quickly, as he ran a hand through his thick black hair. “A couple of months, on and off.” he replied.

“Shit dude! What about Michelle?” Jimmy growled.

“I don’t know dude, I still love her, but it’s different with Andie, as soon as she started working for us I knew there was something about her,” Brian replied.

“Do you love her?” Jimmy interjected.

“I don’t know dude, I think I might be on my way with her.” he replied with a faint smile appearing on his face.

“Fuck dude, You know someone’s going to get hurt, and it’s more than likely going to be Connor and Ella right?” Jimmy replied sounding calmer.

“Shit dude, I know.” Brian muttered, again running his hand through his hair. “And I really don’t want to fuck things up with them.”

“Then why are you fucking their nanny?” Jimmy retorted in a hiss.

“Because she’s amazing and beautiful, sexy and fun. And I’ve seen more of her in the past couple of months than what I’ve seen of Michelle since she went back to work after we had Connor.” He replied honestly.

“Look Jim, I know you don’t like what me and Andie are doing but –“

“But you want me to keep it quiet?” Jimmy finished for him.

“Would you?” Brian asked.

Jimmy sighed, his face serious. “Just try not to get those kids hurt too much when the shit hits the fan.” He replied “Now, we were supposed to be getting drinks.” He added turning and walking back towards the drinks stand

As Andie made her way to the bathrooms with the added hope of finding Jimmy and Brian, she spotted the tall drummer stood at the drinks stand with Brian beside him. She found herself breathing a sigh of relief as she noticed that neither were sporting any war wounds.
Her eyes met Brian who smiled at her and signalled for her to join them. With an apprehensive sigh she walked over to them, biting her lip as Jimmy turned to face her.

“I like you Andie, you know I do. I don’t like what you and Brian are doing; I’m not happy about it, but I’ll keep it to myself.” He said quietly.

“Thanks Jimmy.” she replied quietly.

“Don’t thank me.” he muttered before turning with a tray of drinks and walking back to their seats.

“Come here.” Brian murmured quietly into her ear, taking hold of her hand and leading her away from the small crowd.

“Didn’t I tell you Jimmy was nothing to worry about?” he muttered with a smirk as he pulled her closer to him.

“I guess, but it’s still not good Bri, he still knows, and you heard him, he’s not happy with the situation, he could change his mind.” she replied.

“I know, just promise me that you’ll stop talking about us ending this.” he replied, his hand gently brushing some loose hair off her face.

“I promise.” She replied with a smile creeping onto her lips. “It’d be pointless anyway, look how many times I’ve tried to end it so far, I just keep on coming back to you.”

Brian didn’t reply with words, he just smirked, lowering his head slightly to brush his lips lightly against hers, allowing their tongues to mingle briefly before pulling away and taking hold of her hand.

“Come on, before they send a search party.” He said guiding her back towards their seats.
♠ ♠ ♠
:D

Things start to get more interesting in the next chapter.... :)
Thanks to everyone who reads, subscribes and comments on this story....more are always welcomed ;)

Andie