Status: Complete - Check out the sequel :)

When Duty Calls

Chapter 13

"Oh for fucks sake." Andie groaned into her pillow as the feeling of nausea swept through her body for the third morning running. She pushed herself off the bed, heading as quickly as possible across the hall to the bathroom. The bug that had affected most of the family now, and most of their friends and all the children had finally caught up to her three days ago and it had stuck around, taking it's time to get out of her system. Once she was done throwing up she showered, the warm water immediately making her feel better. After that she got dressed and set about making a start of her daily routine.

"Andie are you sure you're okay, you look kind of peaky to me." Michelle asked as she finished her mug of coffee.

"I'll be fine, I'm over the worst of it now." she replied with a smile.

"You said that Wednesday evening, and last night, I heard you this morning..." Michelle replied.

"I know, but really I'm fine, Ella and I are going to take Connor to school and have a nice relaxing day anyway, aren't we baby.'' she replied, turning to talk to Ella as she fed herself a square of toast.

"Ok, but if you don't feel well later make sure you call me or Brian, he's in the studio writing all day anyway.'' she replied before gathering her work stuff off the counter. Andie nodded in agreement as she watched Michelle say her goodbyes to her two children.

An hour later as Andie watched Connor and Lennon walk into school together as she talked to Val, something caught her eye that made her heart skip a beat and her breath catch in her throat.

"Honey are you okay? Not feeling sick again are you?" Val asked as she watched the colour drain from Andie's cheeks.

"What? Oh yeah, um sorry Val, but I've got to get going." she replied quickly turning Ella's stroller around.

"Are you sure you're okay? I'll give you a ride home if you want." Val called after her.

"No I'm good, I'll see you later." she called over her shoulder.

Less than an hour later, Andie was stood on Rhian's doorstep hoping to a God, any God that would listen that her best friend was not in work.

"Oh morning Hun, everything okay? You don't look the best." Rhian greeted opening the door still in her pyjamas.

"I could be in big trouble." She mumbled as she pushed Ella's stroller over the door step.

"What kind of trouble? Shit do you think Michelle knows?" Rhian replied as she closed her front door.

"It could be worse than that." She replied walking through to the kitchen. Andie didn't reply, she just took the grocery bag off the back of the stroller and began to empty the contents onto the counter. Rhian watched with confused eyes as she placed three large bottles of water followed by three small boxes.

"Shit no, fuck. You think you're pregnant?" Rhian yelled as she picked up one of the boxes of home pregnancy tests. Andie nodded her head slowly, releasing a breath she hadn't realised she'd been holding.

"Fuck girl, that is going to cause trouble.” Rhian exclaimed loudly.

"Tell me about it, I've fucked up big time now if I am." Andie replied grabbing a bottle of water off the counter.

"What makes you think you are?" Rhian asked as Andie gulped down half the bottle in one go.

"I've been sick again, and when I saw Darren Mambet's mother in the school yard this morning with her very obvious bump, something clicked in my head, I'm a week late." she replied after taking a breath before finishing the bottle.

"Shit, but you might not be, maybe you're late because you've been ill." she replied trying to be calm.

"Either way I need to know for sure." she replied as she opened the second bottle. Rhian nodded and picked up one of the tests and reading the instructions.

"Ok, are you ready to do this?" she asked as Andie finished the second bottle. She nodded and headed toward the stairs. Rhian took Ella out of the stroller and followed with the tests.

"What are you going to do if you are?" Rhian asked as they waited for the first two tests to work.

Andie was silent for a long moment, staring blankly at a spot on the wall in front of her. "I haven't got a fucking clue. I mean do I tell Brian? Do I just run away? I know I can't get rid of it, and I couldn't put it up for adoption neither." She replied not taking her eyes off the spot she was staring at.

"Telling Brian could result in the entire family being split up." Rhian said quietly.

Andie nodded, "I know, so maybe running away is my only option." she said solemnly.

With tears in her eyes, Rhian turned herself and wrapped her arms around her best friend. "It'll be okay." She whispered. Pulling away she glanced at her watch. "Time's up."

With a deep breath they both sat up straight, both leaning across to take a test each off the counter. They both looked down at the same time, both muttering the same word as they lifted their heads to face each other. "Positive."

Andie brought her hand up to her face hiding her eyes in her palm. "Shit.'' was the only word she could think of to say.

After a long silence, Rhian managed to persuade Andie to head back down stairs to talk about her options.

"Ok, so if you do leave where would you go?" Rhian asked.

"I don't know, anywhere, I wouldn't have to leave California, just out of Huntington." she replied.

"What about money? What will you do about a job?''

Andie shrugged, ''I've got some money saved, and I'll just have to take any job I'm offered.'' she replied.

They were both silent for a moment before Rhian spoke again. "What about Jimmy? What am I going to say to him? I mean I'm hoping we're still going to be friends and if things work out between us he's going to find out about the baby, put two and two together. What then?'' she asked. Again the only words out of Andie's mouth was ''Shit'' as she let her head fall against the counter.

"What am I going to do?'' she asked after a long moment of silence.

Rhian sighed, ''I don't know sweetie, but we'll think of something, I guess we've got a few weeks at least before we have to worry about people noticing anything. How far gone do you think you are anyway?''

Andie raised her head again, "No more than two months, at a guess it must have been the time after he came back from those shows.'' she replied.

"Okay so that gives you at least another two weeks before you start showing, maybe even three if you wear baggy clothes" Rhian replied as she got off her seat and grabbed her phone. "Here, call the doctor so we can find out for sure, I'll call Joe see if he can cover my shift, he owes me a favour anyway.''

Two hours later Andie and Rhian sat in the waiting room of the doctor’s office with Ella asleep in her stroller. As Rhian flicked aimlessly through outdated magazines Andie nervously chewed her nails waiting to be called in to see the doctor. As she waited she ran through her options once again. Abortion and adoption could be ruled out straight away. Those were two options she couldn’t live with. That only really left being honest and risking splitting up the entire family or running away and starting a new life somewhere and hoping that if things did work out with Rhian and Jimmy that Jimmy would be willing to keep the baby a secret from Brian.

“Ms Jennings? Andrea Jennings?” the nurses’ voice pulled her from her thoughts.

“Do you want me to come in with you?” Rhian asked quietly.

Andie nodded so Rhian got up, following her into the doctors’ office as she pushed Ella’s stroller after her.

They sat down in the seats in front of the desk and waited silently for the doctor to enter the room.

“Good afternoon Andrea, long time no see.” The familiar cheerful voice of Doctor Young floated through the room as he walked around the desk to his seat. He had been Andrea’s family physician for as long as she could remember, a balding, cubby aging man.

“And what can I do for you today?” he asked, with a glance at Rhian.

“You don’t mind Rhian being here do you?” Andie asked nervously.

“No of course not,” he replied with a warm smile.

Andie nodded and took a deep breath. “Good, well um, the thing is, I think I’m pregnant.” She replied with a stutter.

“Oh, you don’t sound too happy with that thought.” Doctor Young replied, his smile fading.

“Well, in all honesty, it’s not the best of circumstances.” She replied feeling herself blush.

“So do you want me to confirm your suspicions?” Doctor Young asked as he got up again.

“Yes please.” She replied simply.

“Okay, lie down on the bed there and I’ll get the portable scan machine from next door.” he replied indicating to the examination bed in the corner of the room.

Minutes later, with a layer of freezing cold gel over her lower stomach, Andie watched as a tiny picture of a foetus appeared on the screen next to her.

“How far gone am I?” she asked in a barely audible whisper.

“It’s hard to tell exactly, it’s too early on to be exact, but I would say about eight weeks.” Doctor Young replied. “Still early on enough for me to arrange a termination if that’s what you’re asking?”

“What? No. Doctor Young you got me wrong before. It’s not the best of circumstances but I’m not getting rid if my baby.” Andie replied in shock.

“Oh. Andrea I’m sorry, I didn’t mean…” he stuttered.

“It’s okay. So when can I find out for sure how far gone I am?” she asked with a faint smile.

“I’ll schedule an appointment for two weeks time if that’s okay.” He replied passing her a cloth to wipe the excess gel off her stomach before heading back to his desk and typing something into his computer.

“Thanks Doctor Young.” Andie replied with a smile as he handed her an appointment card and small scan photo.

“Not a problem, I’ll see you in two weeks.” He replied as he stood at the door seeing them out.

“I don’t have to ask you not to say anything to Jimmy about this just yet do I?” Andie asked quietly as they walked back towards the school to pick up Connor.

“Of course you don’t Hun, I won’t say a word to anyone until you tell me I can.” She replied.

“Thanks Hun.” She replied simply with a sigh.

“It’ll be okay you know, in the end.” Rhian replied optimistically.

“Do you really believe that?” Andie asked sceptically.

“Yeah I do, it’ll be a rough ride, but it’ll all be worth it, you mark my words.” She replied with a satisfactory nod.

“I really can’t see it myself, but I admire your optimism Rhi.” She replied with a smile as they stopped outside the school.

“Trust me, you’ll figure out what to do for the best.” Rhian said as children began to file out of the school building.

“Thanks Rhi, for today.” She replied giving her a hug as she saw Connor run through the playground toward her.

“Hey Auntie Rhian! Are you feeling better now Andie?” Connor cheered as he placed his backpack onto the handles of the stroller before they began their walk home.

“Yeah, but I’ll be even better when I’m curled up on the sofa reading the end of Champion.” She replied with a smile as she watched his brown eyes light up. It was just what she needed to help her take her mind of things for an hour or two.

“Cool. Are you coming too Auntie Rhian?” he asked excitedly.

“Sorry little dude, no can do, I’ve got to do boring grown up stuff, but maybe next time yeah?” she replied with a smile.

“Ok.” he replied simply.

“I’ll talk to you tomorrow.” Andie said with a smile.

“Sure thing, bye guys.” She replied as she turned to walk towards her house.

As they walked home, Andie listened to Connor tell her about every detail of his day, not being able to stop herself from wondering if her baby would be anything like Connor.
♠ ♠ ♠
So how many of you saw that one coming? ;)
Will she tell Brian? Will she run away? If she does run away how long will it be before Brian finds out?
Thanks as always to everyone who reads, subscribes and comments on this story, more are always appreciated ;)
New One Shots....
Girl I Know

Blind Date