Status: Complete - Check out the sequel :)

When Duty Calls

Chapter 16

“Right, I’m leaving, you kids be extra good for Andie, okay?” Michelle stated as she kissed both of her children goodbye before kissing Brian briefly on the cheek as he joined them in the kitchen and heading out of the back door.

“Morning daddy.” Connor greeted as Brian took a seat opposite him as Andie supervised Ella trying to feed herself cereal.

“Morning dude, hey little lady, morning Andie.” He replied greeting each of them in turn, with a small discreet wink in Andie’s direction.

“Morning.” She whispered in reply, a small smile tugging at her lips as their eyes met.

“Andie, I’ve finished.” Connor stated breaking her gaze.

“Well, you know what you need to do.” She stated with wide eyes and a smile. Connor nodded before slipping off his chair and heading towards the stairs.

“How are you feeling today?” Brian asked.

“Like crap to be honest.” She replied as she stood from the table, taking her and Connor’s dishes across to the sink.

“Morning sickness?” Brian asked. “I remember Michelle’s with Ella...”

“No Brian, it’s not morning sickness, it’s the lies.” Andie snapped turning around to face him with a glare in her eyes. “I’m constantly lying these days and last night’s lie is going to follow me around for at least another six months, and then what if the baby comes out looking like you Brian? What then? Michelle’s going to know. Everyone will know and I’ll be on the streets with a new born baby.” She said as she tried to fight back the tears.

“We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.” Brian began. “And hopefully the baby will be lucky enough to look like his or hers incredibly beautiful mother.” He replied with a smirk.

“How can you sit there and be so calm? This is killing me, it’s not funny.” She all but yelled at him, tears spilling from her eyes.

“Hey, I’m sorry. I know it’s not funny, come here.” Brian said quietly as he walked over to her wrapping his arms around her ushering her head to his chest.

“I just hate the lies. It wouldn’t be so bad if Michelle was a complete and utter cow, but she’s not, she’s lovely, she’s been nothing but a friend to me since I started here and I’ve betrayed her by fucking her husband and getting pregnant with his baby.” She muttered through sobs as he rubbed her back soothingly.

“Andie, I know it’s going to be a hard couple of months, but it’ll all work it’s self out. We’ll get through this.” he replied pulling her back to look into her eyes.

“I’m going to be there for you. the both of you.” he said quietly, his hand running over her stomach as he leaned into her, placing his thin lips against hers briefly, smiling as she smiled back at him.

“I’m ready Andie.” Connor’s voice called from behind them, causing them to quickly part, Andie rubbing the traces of tears away from her cheeks as she smiled awkwardly at Connor who was stood with his coat and backpack on ready.

“Right, okay, we better get going then.” She stated trying to make her voice sound as normal as possible. “Can you do me a favour and look after Ella?” she said turning to Brian.

“Yeah, I’ll have her all day if you want, take it easy for a few hours.” He replied with a smile and a small wink.

“Are you sure? Thanks. Come on then squirt, give your sister and your dad a kiss so we can get you to school.” She said cheerfully.

They had barely reached the end of their street when Connor changed the subject from his Geography project.

“Andie, why was daddy kissing and hugging you?” they were the words she’d feared him asking ever since she and Brian had been together. She’d had a gut feeling that there would be some point when Connor would see them doing something they shouldn’t be and she’d been expecting this question from the moment she’d broken away from Brian’s embrace. It was inevitable but something she’d never been able to think of a good enough answer for. Thankfully, before she had time to panic about an answer Connor spoke again.

“Is it because you were upset?” she breathed a sigh of relief before answering him.

“Yeah.”

“But why were you crying? It’s not because I was a little bit naughty in school yesterday was it?” he asked, his little voice sounding frightened.

“Of course not sweetie. It’s nothing you’ve done. Now listen I don’t want you worrying about me crying, I’m all better now…”

“Because daddy gave you a kiss and a hug?” he interjected excitedly.

“Kind of yes, now listen, there is something I’ve got to tell you, something important. But it’s going to have to wait until you get home from school okay?” she replied, watching Connor nod excitedly.

“Will I like it?” he asked as they approached the school gates.

“I hope so. Now, no more being silly for Miss Harrison, be good and I’ll be here to pick you up later.” She said crouching down to his level.

“I promise. Bye Andie, love you.” he replied with a smile as he pecked her cheek before running off across the school playground.

She stood up and watched him enter the school before turning around to head back to the house. Before she had taken ten steps her cell phone buzzed in her pocket. She took it out and sighed when she saw Rhian’s name on the screen. With everything that had gone on the previous night she had forgotten to let Rhian know of the change of plan. As far as she was concerned Andrea had left Huntington Beach the previous afternoon. Turning around to head towards Rhian’s home she called her house phone with no answer and so made her way to her office instead.

“Can I help you?” the receptionist behind the large desk asked cheerfully as Andie walked across the lobby towards the double doors that led through to Rhian’s office.

“No, this is a personal call, Rhian’s expecting me.” Andie replied with a fake smile as she walked straight passed the desk and through the doors.

She made her way down the corridor past another receptionist who she knew to be called Samantha and knocked on the door with Rhian’s name on it.

“Come in.” a voice that wasn’t Rhian’s called back. With a puzzled look on her face Rhian placed her hand on the handle and pushed open the door to find Rhian sat behind her desk and Jimmy led on the small sofa reading a magazine with a take-out mug of coffee in his hand.

“Andie? What are you doing here? I thought you’d left.” Rhian said with wide eyes.

“Left? Why would she have left?” Jimmy asked before she had the chance to reply, sitting up straight on the sofa.

“Long story.” Both Rhian and Andie said at the same time.

“What happened?” Rhian asked quietly.

“Brian came back and found me packing. Talked me into staying.” She replied quietly.

“Does he know why you were leaving?” Rhian asked.

Andie nodded slowly. “I kinda yelled it at him.” she said quietly.

“What did he say? Was he mad? He hasn’t told Michelle has he?” she asked.

“I guess he was a little bit mad at first, but he’s okay about it. And Michelle kinda knows half the story.” She replied noticing out of the corner of her eye that Jimmy was watching their exchange carefully.

“What have you told her?” Rhian asked.

“She thinks that I had a one night stand with a guy a few weeks ago. It was horrible Rhi; she was so understanding and supportive, promising to make sure to make everything as easy as possible for Me.” she replied.

“Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow. Hang on just one second. I think one of you better explain everything because surly I can’t be hearing what I think I’m hearing.” Jimmy interrupted standing up from the sofa and glaring at Andie.

“Jimmy, it’s um, well…” Rhian began glancing between him and Andrea.

“I’m pregnant Jimmy.” Andie blurted out quickly.

“And Brian’s the father I assume.” He retorted and both Andie and Rhian nodded. “And you were planning on running away without telling him?” again they both nodded. “But he found out and now you’ve told Michelle that you’re pregnant after a one night stand and she’s more than willing to help you both out, keep a roof over your head and what ever else?”

Once again Andrea nodded silently watching Jimmy carefully sensing that he may be about to start yelling at her.

“Fuck me woman, you haven’t got an ounce of shame have you? And Brian’s no better!” he said, his voice becoming louder with every word. “How can you do that to Michelle? And the kids?”

“I know Jimmy, I know, that’s why I’d planned on leaving and I would have if Brian had been just twenty minutes longer before coming home yesterday. I was happy to leave and have this baby by myself and let them be a proper family again. But he spoilt it. It was his idea for me to stay, he was the one who talked me into it, I still wanted to leave, but he practically begged me to stay.” She retorted with tears once again in her eyes.

She took a deep breath and turned so that she was fully facing Jimmy and took a step forward to him. “Look Jimmy, please, this isn’t part of some plan I’ve got. Believe me this is the last thing I wanted to happen. Me and Brian was only ever meant to be a bit of fun and it’s just got major serious and I’m fucking scared. I know what we’ve been doing is wrong and we should have put a stop to it a long time ago, and believe me I’ve tried more than once, but I can’t change what’s happening now. I’m pregnant with his baby and we’re dealing with it in the best way we could think of.”

Jimmy was quiet for a long moment as he absorbed every word she’d spoken. Finally he began to nod.

“Okay. Whatever.” He said quietly before turning and walking back over to the sofa, sitting down and placing his head in his hands.

“Are you okay Hun?” Rhian asked as she stepped around the desk.

“Yeah I guess so.” Andrea murmured.

“Good. Listen I think it’s best you go. I’ll talk to him, make sure he’s okay with all of this and I’ll call you later okay?” she replied quietly. Andie nodded and gave Rhian a quick hug before turning to leave.

A few hours later, Andrea stood outside the school gates waiting for Connor, going over what she was going to say to him in her mind. The bell ringing interrupted her from her thoughts and she watched anxiously as the children began to file out of the building. It wasn’t long before she saw Connor running across the yard towards her an excited smile on his face.

“Can you tell me now?” he asked as soon as he reached her, quickly taking hold of her hand. She giggled nervously and quickly said good-bye to some of the other moms, including Val and Gena.

“Okay, I guess it doesn’t have to wait until we get home.” She replied with a smile.

“Okay, um, well, I’m going to have a baby.” She said quietly, looking down at him watching a confused look quickly appear on his small face.

“A baby?”

“Yeah.” She replied simply not entirely sure what else to say.

“But how? You said you needed a mommy and a daddy before and you don’t have a daddy.” He said innocently.

“I know; it’s complicated. But well, the daddy of my baby doesn’t want to be a daddy anymore.”

“Has he run away?” he asked.

“I suppose so yes. But not all babies need a mommy and a daddy, and your mommy and daddy have said that they are going to help me look after my baby so everything is going to be okay.” She replied trying to convince herself as much as she was explaining to Connor.

“So does that mean that I’m going to have another brother or sister?” he asked. Andie’s breath stuck in her throat at the sound of those words.

“I mean, it’ll be like Shaun Creighton’s sister, in second grade. She doesn’t have the same mommy and daddy as him, but their still brother and sister cos he’s adapted.” He said before she had the chance to say anything.

“You mean adopted. In that case then, it can be your baby brother or sister if you want. If it’s okay with your mom and dad for you to call him or her that, that is.” She replied with a faint smile which grew as she watched the smile on Connor’s face grow.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you all had a lovely Christmas :) For those of you who haven't seen it, I wrote a One Shot as a present to all my readers called Double Booked if you want to go check it out... :)

Andie

As always a huge thanks to all my readers :) Comments....?