‹ Prequel: Abercrombie & Bitch
Status: Active?

The Incomparable Edie Wells

Break Your Little Heart

It's been... a while, since I talked to Parker. I don't even know how long – everything seems like a blur.

I sigh and look at my reflection in the mirror, lightly tracing over the tender bruise on my cheek. It was an accident. He hadn't been thinking; he twitched. I had it coming. What did I think I was doing, flirting with that other guy like that, anyway?

I squeeze my eyes shut as the images dance behind my eyelids.

“I'm sorry, Edie.”

I'm kind of getting tired of being apologized to.

“Edie?”

I jump at the sound. I hadn't realized that I'd left the bathroom door slightly open. Grace blinks up at me innocently, tugging along her stuffed bear. It's funny – at seven years old, she still loves my old teddy bear.

I grab a towel and hold it up to my face, pretending to dry it. “Oh, hey, Gracie. What's up?”

She looks at me suspiciously. Even a kid can tell I'm lying. “Dad said he wanted me to get you... what's that on your face?”

“Nothing,” I reply quickly, putting down the towel and ruffling her hair. “Just being clumsy, that's all. Walked into Maggie's sliding glass door.” Of course, I hadn't even been to Maggie's house in three weeks, but what Grace doesn't know won't hurt me.

She furrows her eyebrows. “You've done that before. It didn't look like that.”

I stare at her. When the hell did she get smart? “Fine. I fell off of Parker's couch.”

“You've done that before, too -”

“Just drop it, Grace.”

I pat her head a couple times and head downstairs, wondering what my dad could possibly want at ten thirty at night. I pull my hair out of my ponytail in an attempt to hide the bruise on my cheekbone. If that doesn't work, I can just tell them my lame story about falling off the couch... They'd probably believe it.

“Dad?” I call, blindly walking into the kitchen.

It takes me a few seconds to process the fact that there are four people in the room. Riley and Rhett are sitting at the island, Riley looking shell-shocked and Rhett just looking... pissed. He's hugging her tightly, almost protectively. Worried, I glance over at my father.

He's still dressed in work clothes. As usual. His face is stone and gaunt.

I'm just through thinking What the hell is going on here? When I notice the other woman in the room.

She doesn't look all that familiar to me. Her light, mousy brown hair hangs in limp curls around her gaunt-looking face, hiding her pale blue eyes. She can't be much older than Riley, but her slumped shoulders make her look years older. She's wearing a wrinkled sweatshirt and frumpy jeans, but she looks as if she's uncomfortable.

Normally a visitor at ten thirty isn't something to be upset about. I mean, my dad had business partners around in the study all the time, some female, even, and no one ever said anything. Granted, they weren't dressed the way this woman is...

I swallow hard, starting to get nervous. “W-What's going on?”

My dad's face looks pained. “Er, Edie, I'm not sure how to tell you this, but-”

“Oh, Edie!” Suddenly the woman leaps out of her chair, wrapping her arms around my shoulders. I suck in a breath between my teeth, the pain hitting me like a freight train. I see Rhett's face twitch. “I've missed you so much... Look how big you've gotten!”

I push the woman away, thoroughly confused. “I'm sorry, do I know you?”

Dad shifted his weight awkwardly and adjusted his glasses. “Edie, this is... This is Beth. She's your mother.”

My eyes widen. Holy...

“Let me explain, Edie,” the woman pleads, taking a step closer to me. I back up instinctively. “Your father and I went to high school together... But he dated your aunt Donelle until junior year. And then Ashley. And then Brooke...”

Dad clears his throat.

“You get the point. But in college, we fell in love, remembering the good old times in high school. Everything was perfect. And then you came along, and it was even better, because now we had someone to share our love with. And everything was great.” She sighs, putting her head in her hands. “But, you have to understand, Edie, I was young, and I wanted something more than a normal, tied down marriage. I wanted freedom. And I couldn't get that with you and your father, no matter how much I love you.”

I'm frozen. My mind is pretty much blank at the moment. I mean, what am I supposed to think? If this woman really is my... my mother, then...

“What the fuck are you doing here?” I spit.

My dad tenses. “Edith, I don't think -”

I turn on him. “What, Dad? You don't think I should talk to her like that?” I feel so angry I want to chuck something at his head. “Then how should I talk to her?! Oh, hey, Mom, I'm sorry you ditched me when I was three fucking years old, but everything's okay now because you said 'I'm sorry'!” My voice trails into hysteria. I'm trying to calm myself down, but it's more difficult than I thought it would be. This isn't even about my mother so much, anymore. “Because I'm fucking sorry just automatically fixes everything! I could hurt someone all I want and it would be okay, because I said I was sorry! Can everyone just stop fucking apologizing?!

I pick up the closest object to me – an empty glass – and chuck it at the wall. I don't even care that I'll be grounded for a year; maybe I don't want to go out. Maybe I'll just stay in my room for the rest of my life.

Dad's jaw twitches angrily. “Edith Catherine Wells, stop your language.”

“Don't fucking tell me what to do!”

The woman just stares at me like I've grown three heads.

“What, Mom?” I snap, “Surprised I'm not, you know, three anymore?! That's what happens when you leave for fourteen years and never bother to keep in touch!”

She furrows her eyebrows, much like Grace. “Edie, what are you talking about? I've sent you letters, cards, pictures...” I can see tears in her eyes. She's fucking crying. “I may not have been a good mother, Edie, but I've sent you a birthday present and a Christmas card every single year. September twenty-first.” She sees the confused expression on everyone's faces. “You mean you never got them? I'm sure they were the right address...”

I'm not paying any attention to her. I'm staring at my father, who is now the one squirming under my gaze.

“Is that true, Dad?” I ask, in a much smaller voice than I had hoped.

He hesitates. “Well, yes, Edie, but-”

I don't stay to listen anymore. I rush up the stairs and to my room, slamming the door shut and burying my head in the pillows. I can't help crying, but I don't know what from. My mother. My father. Parker. Maggie. The bruises on my face that still sting. I make a fist in the sheets and let out a scream of frustration.

Just then, there's a knock at the door.

“GO AWAY!” I screech, and flop back on the pillows.

They don't listen, and I head the door open, then close, before my mattress moves from the new weight. They're stroking my hair and rubbing circles into my back as the sobs come. I don't make an effort to hold them back – I guess I just need to let it out. Everything.

“It's okay, Eds,” Rhett soothes, brushing his hand through my hair gently.

I turn over to face him, not even caring that he can see my black-and-blue face. “No, it's not, Rhett.” I choke back a sob. “It's not okay.”

He sighs, brushing my hair out of my face in a comforting gesture. “I know I'm a shit brother, Edie, but I'm here if you need to talk to -” He pauses, putting a finger to the tender spot on my cheek. I wince. “What's that?”

“Nothing,” I lie quickly, turning away from him.

“Yeah, something.” His voice is gentle, but firm. He grabs my hand as I lift it to cover my face. I wince. “How'd you get that?” he asks, sounding concerned.

“I fell off Parker's couch,” I mumble, unable to meet his eyes.

He rolls his eyes. “You and I both know you're a crappy liar, Eds. Even you're not that clumsy.” He gives me a sad smile. “So now you're gonna tell me what really happened.”

I bite my lip. Can I trust Rhett? I mean, okay, he's my brother... but I know how he gets. He'll say it's my fault. “It's no big deal, Rhett. Levi just got a little carried away, and besides, I had it coming-”

Rhett's easy-going attitude disappears as soon as I mention Levi. “Smith did this to you?!” He roars, standing up and yanking himself away from me. “He hurt you?! I'll fucking kill him!” I don't say anything. I pull my legs up to my chest. “Edie, how long has this been going on?”

“Nothing's going on, Rhett! I – Levi – we were playing catch and I missed the ball.” Rhett relaxes. That actually sounds like something I would do. “Okay? Stop freaking out.”

He sighs and sits down on the bed next to me. “I just don't want anyone to hurt you. No matter what anyone says, you're still my little sister, okay?” He pats my ankle awkwardly, because that's all he can reach. “No one's going to change that. Not even Anna.” My eyes widen. “She told me you and Levi are getting... close. I just want to make sure you're alright.” He glances at the door. “I don't know how you could be with all this shit going on.”

I offer him a tired smile. “You haven no idea.”

He stands up and ruffles my hair affectionately. “Get some sleep, kiddo.”

I yawn and slip under the covers. Rhett bends down and puts a kiss on my forehead (not that he'll ever admit to it), tucking me in like I'm five. But in a way, I'm grateful for it. At least, through all of this, Rhett has gotten nicer. Even if we're not related by blood, Rhett's been in my life since I was a little kid, and that's never going to change.

And with the world changing like it is now, it's good to know that some things stay the same.
♠ ♠ ♠
spread the love. Comment, even if it's just a thumbs up or something. LEt me know what you guys are thinking. :D