‹ Prequel: Love Story
Sequel: Second Chances

Love Bites

Chapter 11

It’s been nearly a week since I found out Jacob was a werewolf; it’s been a crazy week. I haven’t been to school because I want to be there for Jacob; I haven’t talked to Bella, I’ve been told absolutely everything there is to know about werewolves, I haven’t seen Spencer, Jacob cut all his gorgeous hair off which I wasn’t happy about, I watched the pack phase so I got used to it and so I would know who was who when they were wolves, and I’ve been hanging around with Emily a lot.

We have gotten pretty close over the past few days; I help her cook for our boys, and we hang out when they have their ‘meetings’. I have started to miss Jacob a lot; he’s ready busy now with running patrol at night, most nights it’s only me and Dad at home now. I know Bella must be really worried about us; she has been calling a lot and Dad tells me to let him answer the phone, but sometimes when Jacob’s asleep I can get to the phone quicker then Dad and I don’t want to wake Jacob up so I answer it. I have also gotten a lot closer to Sam, Paul and Jared; it’s been great getting to know them more, Jacob now understands why Sam acted strange around him. A bad thing about all of this is that Jacob and I have had to distant ourselves from Quil and our other friends; it’s so hard! I see Quil all the time and he looks so sad and hurt; he’ll come over to talk to me but I always have to make up an excuse and leave him.

Sam also told me that he knew about Spencer and that I had to stay away from him; Jacob was angry when he heard about me hanging around with another vampire, I hadn’t told him about my ‘bloodsucker’ friend. That’s another thing I hate about this; the way the guys talk about vampires, they use horrible names for them but I also glare at them so they try not to call them names when I’m around. Sam told me that they were having a hard time finding Spencer here in La Push or in Forks; they want me to go to our spot but they would be following me, I refused but somehow they made me agree. So that’s what’s happening right now; I’m walking to our spot through the forest, I was grumbling under my breath about stupid werewolves.

“Spencer!” I called when I found the spot; I looked around to see if I could see anything but of coarse I couldn’t because I was only human.

“Alex! You finally came!” Spencer said happily from above me again; he jumped down in front of me.

“Yeah sorry about that; I’ve been really busy” I said sadly; I looked down to the ground, I knew what was going to happened.

“What’s wrong Alex?” Spencer asked concerned.

“Alex, get out of here now!” Spencer warned me smelling the air that just blew past us.

“I’m so sorry” I whispered tears forming in my eyes as the pack formed a circle around us. Jacob grabbed my shirt between his teeth and gently pulled me behind him; Spencer crouched snarling, his top lip pulled up to flash his teeth in his snarl. His eyes soften when they landed on me; he looked so hurt, I can’t blame him what I just did was unforgiveable. Sam and Paul were the first ones to lunge at Spencer; the fight was official on, Sam and Jacob told me to run back to Emily when the fight started but I wasn’t going anywhere. I was standing as still as I could; my eyes were glued to the fight, it was horrible. Both Spencer and the pack knew how to fight perfectly; it was an uneven fight, it was five against one!

Suddenly I felt a gush of wind blow past me making my hair fly behind me; I then heard a loud cracking sound behind me, I turned my head to look and saw that Jared had just been thrown into the tree behind me. He was shaking the wood piece from his fur when his head turned sharply towards me; I saw fear in his big black eyes. The air was knocked out of my body when something hard and cold collided with me; arms wrapped around my waist lifting me off the ground. When my feet touched the ground half a second later I saw a huge tree branch fall towards the ground; it landed with enough force to break it in half, it landed right where I was standing.

“Thank you” I smiled at Spencer when the shock wore off.

“Stand back Alex” Spencer told me pushing me behind him protectively which made the wolves growl and snarl more.

“Wait!” I shouted stepping in front of Spencer; the wolves stopped running before they hit me. I heard angry growling for the wolves; I knew they wanted me out of the way and they were angry because I was protecting a vampire.

“Guys wait; didn’t you just see that? Spencer saved my life! Doesn’t that count for something?” I asked looking at all my wolves; I didn’t want them to kill Spencer. I watched as Sam walked behind a tree to phase back to his human self; once he was finished he walked in front of me, the wolves followed closely.

“Alex, why are you doing this?” Sam demanded.

“Spencer just saved my life; and before that he was a good friend to me” I told them; I noticed my eyes lingered on my brother when I looked over the wolves.

“Alex, don’t you remember what happened last time when you became friends with bloodsuckers?” Sam’s voice was irritated; my jaw clenched when the memories flooded my mind.

“This is different” I defended myself.

“Please guys; just think about it. Think about me! And what this will do to me; think about how Spencer’s death will affect me!” I said slightly begging; Sam opened his mouth to most likely tell me to move, I used my infamous puppy dog eyes and pout.

“Ugh fine!” Sam groaned throwing his arms in the air; I watched as the rest of the wolves slowly walk between the trees to phase, Jacob was the first one to return. Jacob gently grabbed my arm pulling me away from Spencer and into his hot strong arms; his arms wrapped around my chest protectively.

“Spencer, this is my brother Jacob, that’s Sam, Embry, Paul and Jared” I pointed to each of my ‘brothers’.

“Guys, this is Spencer Platt” I smiled a wide happy smile; hopefully my guys could at along with one vampire.

“It’s very nice to meet you all. I am sorry Jared for throwing you into the tree. It’s a pleasure to finally meet the infamous Jacob Black; Alex has told me so much about you” Spencer said smiling from ear to ear. But that’s when the guys decided to throw all types of questions at Spencer; I guess that was their way of making sure that he wouldn’t hurt me. I was surprised when Paul, Jared and Sam chuckled at something Spencer had said; Embry smiled but Jacob didn’t stop frowning at Spencer.

“He seemed nice enough” Jared mumbled while we were walking back through the forest; the guys didn’t phase back because I hated not knowing what they were saying.

“I tried to tell you guys” I smiled.

“Whatever” They grumbled together.

“It’s weird; it felt like we have to like him because he’s so nice and friendly” Sam said mostly to himself but everyone heard.

“He told me that happens a lot; maybe that’s what he brought into his vampire life, his friendliness” I said looking around at my guys who were all nodding; everyone but Jacob who still had an arm wrapped around my shoulder.

“Jacob, you will always be my number one best friend” I nudged his side but he probably wouldn’t even feel it.

“Thanks Alex” Jacob replied smiling the happy bright smile that I love.