‹ Prequel: Love Story
Sequel: Second Chances

Love Bites

Chapter 14

Bella came around again this morning; Jacob had the day ‘off’ so he was going to hang out with Bella but they caught a fresh scent so Sam called everyone to follow it. Bella said she would be at First beach again; I told her I would come but she stopped me, she told me to go work, I was already wearing my working clothes. I agreed and went into our garage to work on Mr. Dobson’s car; I worked for about an hour when I heard Dad calling my name urgently, I dropped my tools and ran to the garage doors.

“What? What happened?” I called back worry thick in my voice; please don’t tell me something happened to Jacob or the guys.

“Sue just called; Harry is in the hospital” Dad said when I reached him on the back porch; no not Harry!

“I’ll drive” I said running to get my car keys from my room; I also threw my dirty shirt off and put a clean one on, I ran outside to my car to see Dad waiting for me. I helped him in; I placed his wheelchair in the back and hopped into the driver’s seat, I sped all the way to Fork’s hospital.

“Sue!” Dad called when we saw her standing in the hallway of the hospital; I let Dad wheel himself over to her, I went to comfort Leah and Seth. I was hugging Seth when I saw the pack walking over to us; Jacob touched Dad’s shoulder to let him know he was here, he then kneeled in front of me placing his hands on my knees. When I saw Charlie walk over to Dad and Sue I realized at the same time as Jacob who was missing.

“Bella” We whispered together.

“Come on” Sam said pulling us up; we quickly ran out of the hospital and jumped into my car, I sped all the way home again. We past First beach but Bella wasn’t there; we ran onto the beach for a better look but we couldn’t find her anyway.

“No!” I screamed when I saw who had just jumped of the cliff that we use for cliff diving. Jacob and Sam saw as well; I was surprisingly the first one in my car, I skidded to a stop beside Bella’s truck and Jacob and Sam jumped out with me right behind them. Jacob jumped off the cliff as well; Sam threw me onto his back and he ran down to the shore line, we waited nervously at the waters edge for Jacob and Bella.

We signed with relief when Jake carried Bells out of the water; Sam helped Jacob get her breathing again, I couldn’t do anything but stand there watching them, I had tears running down my cheeks. Bella started breathing again and I let the breath that I was holding go; I watched as Sam ran into the forest so he could phase and go back to the hospital, Jacob took Bella’s truck and I drove myself back home.

“How stupid are you Bella?” I shouted as I walked through the front door of my house; she was laying on the couch in the living room with Jake sitting next to her on the floor.

“Alex not now” Jacob said softly.

“No she deserves this and she needs to hear this” I yelled frowning at my brother; I was angry now.

“What were you thinking?” I screamed at Bella before Jacob could say anything else; when Bella didn’t replied I kept going.

“Do you want to die? Jacob and I told you not to cliff dive by yourself but what do you do? You don’t listen to us! Did it even occur to you that we know the best times to cliff dive? I bet it didn’t! I bet you weren’t even thinking about anyone beside yourself! If you died how do you think it would affect Charlie? Or Jacob? Or me? I can’t lose you Bella! You’re my best friend and I need you in my life! I couldn’t stand losing you too! I’ve already lost my parents, and Sarah and Jasper!” I yelled at a shocked Bella; I have never yelled at anyone before but I just exploded.

“I’m so sorry Alex” Bella whispered looking right at me; and I knew she meant it but it didn’t take the pain and panic I felt.

“So you should be!” I shouted.

“That’s enough Alex” Jacob said gently; he was standing up now.

“Where are you going?” Bella asked in a whisper; I was surprised I even heard her.

“I’m going back to the hospital; Dad needs at least one of his kids there” I said the last part at Jacob.

“Hospital? What happened?” Bella asked again; I had just opened the front door but I turned around to answer Bella.

“While you were out cliff diving everyone else was at the hospital; Harry Clearwater had a heart attack today” I told her and then I was out of the door and walking to my car. I arrived at the hospital a couple of minutes later; I joined everyone in the hallway again. Everyone looked up when we heard the doctor walking towards us; Sue was the first to stand up.

“I’m so sorry but he didn’t make it” The doctor told us; Sue broke down but Charlie held onto her, Dad placed his head in his hands. The pack lowered their heads in sadness; Leah, Seth and I also started crying. I couldn’t believe it; Harry was gone! He was like another father to me; he was the one who taught me how to fish and laughed at me when I couldn’t. When Dad and I arrived at home we saw that Bella’s truck was still parked in our driveway; I helped Dad out and pushed him through the front door.

“Dad! Alex! How’s Harry?” Jacob asked jumping to his feet; I looked down at Dad who just shook his head.

“Oh no” Jacob signed placing his hand on Dad’s shoulder in comfort again.

“Bella I think you should get home; Charlie will need you” Dad said quietly before wheeling himself towards his room.

“Sure I guess I’ll see you guys later then” Bella said looking at me; I didn’t meet her gaze, instead I walked towards my room. I cried a little bit more that night; I just couldn’t believe Harry was gone forever. Poor Sue, Leah and Seth. I was going to miss Harry cracking jokes about my lack of fishing talent; I was going to miss his delicious fish rissole, I was going to miss all the stories he used to tell me, I was going to miss everything about him.