‹ Prequel: Love Story
Sequel: Second Chances

Love Bites

Chapter 3

I was hanging out with Mike, Tyler, Ben and Angela before school started; we were laughing and joking around when the familiar silver Volvo pulled into the school car park. I saw Bella get out with Edward but no Alice; I wonder if she’s gone hunting? She doesn’t normally go when school’s on. I saw Edward quickly glare over at me; I was shocked because he has never glared that dark and cold at me before. I wonder if something is going on? I mean I wouldn’t know because I don’t really talk to Edward and Alice anymore; Bella and I really only talk when we have a class together without Alice and Edward. I was walking to Trig when I finally caught up to Bella; I must say she didn’t seem to be herself today.

“Hey Bells” I called to her; I ran to catch up, it has slightly hard because I had to dodge people who were walking through the hallways.

“Hi Alex” Bella replied slowly.

“You’re mad at me because I didn’t come to you’re party” I said looking down to that ground.

“What? No I understand why you didn’t come last night” She replied reassuring me.

“Then what’s wrong?” I asked concerned for my best friend.

“Something happened last night; but it’s nothing” Bells mumbled.

“What happened?” I demanded; Bells just signed sadly so I pulled her away towards the wall so people wouldn’t hear us.

“Bella” I said sternly.

“I cut myself last night” She mumbled; oh no! No no no; please don’t say Jasper attacked her.

“Jasper tried to attack me” She murmured looking me death in the eyes.

“Oh no” I signed closing my eyes; I couldn’t believe it, I didn’t want to believe it. That’s why Edward is in a bad mood and that’s why Alice isn’t here; I bet Alice is with Jasper right now, I hope she is.

“Edward stopped him and then Jasper ran off; Alice has gone after him” Bella said softly; I couldn’t answer her, so I just nodded.

“Are you ok?” I asked worried about her safety.

“I’m fine” She reassured me while we started walking to class again. I couldn’t concentrate on anything the teacher was saying; I kept thinking about Jasper. I wonder if he’s ok? I hope he is; god I should have been there and then maybe he could have controlled himself. I was in a daze throughout the rest of the day; I knew what I was going to do but I wasn’t sure if I should. I walked to my car after school finished; I started driving the all too familiar route, I found myself looking at the beautiful mansion again. I took a deep breath before walking towards the front door; as usual Esme opened it before I could knock.

“Alex it’s so good to see you again” Esme smiled and pulled me into a hug.

“It’s good to see you too” I smiled back at her.

“Come on in! Can I get you anything to eat or drink?” Esme said in her motherly tone.

“No I’m fine thanks” I said looking around the familiar house just in case Jasper decided to come back.

“He’s not here sweetie” Esme said sadly; I looked back at her.

“Oh um do you know if he’s ok?” I asked worry clear in my voice; Esme heard my worry and smiled slightly.

“I’m sure he’s fine Alex” She reassured me; I nodded slowly.

“Right well I should get going then. It was good to see you again Esme” I said walking back to my car quickly; I was surprised when Esme let me go. I sped down the highway towards La Push; I knew Dad, Jake, Bella and Charlie absolutely hated it when I went over the speed limit but right now I didn’t care, I needed to get to the safety of La Push, the safety of home. I parked my car around the corner of the La Push high school; I took deep breathes to calm myself down, I couldn’t cry because Jake would know instantly. But all the pain that was numbing down was flooding back; Jasper is gone, he actually left me. I couldn’t deal with this; I didn’t want to deal with this, I was just starting to get better and then he leaves. I know I shouldn’t get this upset because I broke up with him but I still love him; I still want him in my life. I blinked back my tears before they could fall; I drove around the corner and saw Jake laughing and messing around with Quil and Embry.

“You two want a lift home?” I asked my two best friends when Jake opened the door to get in.

“Sure” Quil and Embry said at the same time; they hopped into my car and I took off towards Quil’s house first.

“Later guys!” Quil said before running to his front door; it only took me a few minutes to arrive at Embry’s house.

“Thanks Al; see you two later” Embry said before getting out of my car. Jake told me about his day while I drove us both home; I loved how Jake would talk non-stop when I was upset, I didn’t have to say or do anything for him to know what type of mood I was in. When we got home I helped Jake work on his car; I needed to do something so I didn’t think about Jasper, I needed something to concentrate on and kept my mind occupied. After a few hours in the garage I helped Dad make dinner; then Jake helped me with the dishes, after that I got started on my homework but Jake had other ideas. He jumped onto my bed landing on my homework; he was smiling the smile that I love, the smile that could brighten any room, and the smile that makes you smile back.

“Jacob” I wined fighting the smile that was trying to pull my lips up.

“What?” My big brother asked innocently.

“I need to do my homework” I said trying to push him off my bed but of coarse that didn’t work.

“But I’m bored” He replied grabbing my hand and pulling me off my bed; Jake dragged me down the stairs and out the back door.

“Jacob where are we going?” I asked trying to break free from my brother’s grasp.

“Right here” Jake smiled laying on the ground; he pulled me down with him, we looked up at the stars.

“Just like the old days” I chuckled; Jake would always bring me outside to watch the stars or the clouds.

“Yeah; I’ve missed this” Jake smiled looking over at me.

“I’ve missed this too” I smiled back; I smiled my real smile.

“There’s the smile I love” Jake said proudly.

“Yeah sorry about that; I didn’t mean to be like that” I apologized looking back at Jake.

“S’ok I understand; Dad understands. We just hope you go back to the old Alex soon” Jake told me.

“I just miss him that’s all” I whispered looking back at the stars.

“Dad only did that because he was scared and worried about you. We both were; we just want you to be safe” I heard Jake tell me.

“I know” I signed.

“Look there’s a cat!” Jake yelled pointing to the sky.

“No it’s not! It’s a dog” I argued.

“Hey look it’s a flower!” I yelled pointing towards the sky this time.

“No it’s not! That’s a tree” Jake argued this time.

“You’re so wrong!” We said at the same time, looking at each other the same time. We also burst out laughing at the same time.

“Jacob Alex, come inside before you two get sick!” Dad yelled from the doorway. Jake helped me up but decided to throw me over his shoulder.

“Jacob!” I screamed when he started to run towards our house; I heard both my brother and my father laughing at me.

“I see my baby’s getting back to her old self then” Dad laughed to himself while I screamed at Jake to put me down and was hitting his back with my fists.