‹ Prequel: Love Story
Sequel: Second Chances

Love Bites

Chapter 4

I saw that Alice still wasn’t at school today; that just made me worry more about Jasper, maybe I should try to talk to Edward. After all he did seem to be in a better mood this morning; which was good to see, he wasn’t much fun when he was in a bad mood and I knew Bella hated seeing him all distant. I was walking to class when I felt him walking beside me all of a sudden.

“Oh hey Ed” I jumped slightly.

“Hello Alex, sorry to startle you” He replied looking straight ahead.

“So… how are you? How’s the family?” I asked looking up at him; I swear I saw pain flash across his face but I wasn’t sure. I wasn’t as use to their quick movements anymore; not since I was with Jasper anyways.

“Everyone is as fine as we can be” Edward replied quietly.

“I’m sorry about what happened to Bella” I whispered looking down at the ground.

“It’s not your fault Alex” Edward nudged my arm with his elbow gently.

“Maybe” I signed; truth was I was blaming myself. Maybe if I didn’t break up with Jasper then he wouldn’t have tried to attack Bells; I would have been standing right next to him, he could have focused on me and not on Bella’s blood.

“It really wasn’t your fault Alex; Jazz wouldn’t want you to blame yourself either” Edward told me sternly; I signed and nodded while we walked into the cafeteria. The rest of the day went by slowly and I was so glad when I was walking to my car; I jumped in and started my drive home. It was Friday so I picked up Jacob, Embry and Quil; I drove us all to our house so we could ditch my car. But before that I drove to both Quil’s and Embry’s house so they could drop their school bags off. We got to our house to hang out for a bit before we headed out again; we were mucking around in our backyard, it felt good to be talking and laughing with my three best friends again, I had missed this and I knew all three of them missed this too.

We then walked to First beach as we do every Friday afternoon; when we reached the beach we saw that a lot of the other kids from La Push were there. Every Friday afternoon all us kids would come to First beach and hang out; but this time was different because I saw Sam, Paul and Jared making a bonfire, we never have a bonfire unless it’s cold or raining but it was fine today. Sam, Paul and Jared were all laughing and talking to each other; but when they spotted me they quieted down and look a bit uncomfortable.

“What’s the bonfire for?” Seth asked while I walked over to him; he pulled me into a tight hug and I returned it instantly.

“We just got great news” Sam said looking straight at me; I again could have swore I saw pain flash in Sam’s eyes, he started to look more uncomfortable along with Paul and Jared, who were now standing beside him.

“Well are you going to tell us this great news?” Jacob asked harshly standing next to me protectively.

“The Cullen’s have left Forks” Sam told us but he was looking me dead in the eyes. When I heard those five words I froze; I could feel my half built world fall apart again, my heart shattered even more. I held my breath when all the pain and heartache flood my body again; everything I had blocked out about Jasper and his family re-entered my brain.

“We just got back from looking for Charlie’s daughter. Her boyfriend left her in the forest and no one could find her” Jared said also looking straight at me.

“Charlie called Billy who called our parent’s so we could help with the search party; Sam found her and believe me she’s a mess” Paul told her; he too was looking at me. I felt Jacob lead me away from everyone; he found a rock and lifted me onto it, he stood in front of me.

“Al please say something” Jacob begged me holding my shaking hands in his.

“I can’t believe their gone” I whispered; I was so quiet that Jake had to lean forward to hear me better.

“Their gone” I whispered again and the tears began to fall.

“Hey please don’t cry honey. Maybe its better that they did leave” Jacob said rubbing his thumbs across my hands.

“I still love him” I cried out; my body shook from my sobs so Jacob wrapped his arms around my body tightly.

“Shh it’s going to be fine, you just wait and see” Jacob promised me; I sure hope he’s right. I sat on that rock crying with Jake hugging me for what seemed like hours; when I finally finished crying Jacob wiped my tears away and helped me off the rock. He bend down so I could climb onto his back; I buried my head into his neck when we past everyone who was still around the bonfire, I didn’t want them to see me like this. Jake gave me a piggy back ride all the way home; Dad was surprised when we got home so early.

“Hey kids, what are you going home so early?” Dad asked looking at the clock.

“Alex didn’t feel that well” Jake said when I didn’t say anything.

“You heard then” Dad signed and I lifted my head to look at him.

“I wanted to be the one to tell you baby” Dad said looking sorry.

“Yeah Sam decided to tell us” Jacob grumbled.

“So it’s true?” I asked hoarsely; I just wanted to make sure because I knew Sam, Paul and Jared hated the Cullen’s.

“I’m afraid it is true” Dad said in his deep voice; the same voice that Jacob had, the deep voice that could always comfort me.

“How’s Bella?” I asked sliding down from my brother’s back; I was wobbly on my feet so Jake wrapped his arm around my waist.

“Charlie says she’s a mess. He was so worried when he couldn’t find her” Dad said wheeling himself closer to me so he could grab my hands.

“They’re not going to come back are they?” I asked slowly.

“I’m not sure baby but from what I’ve heard from Charlie we don’t think they will come back” Dad said as gently as he could; he didn’t want to hurt me anymore, he didn’t want to see his daughter break again. But it was a bit late for that; I was already broken again.

“I’m going to have an early night” I said slowly making my way up the stairs and into my room; I got changed into my pajamas, brushed my teeth and then collapsed onto my bed. I got under the covers and snuggled into my comfy bed; sleep quickly over took my body which I was grateful for, I didn’t want to lay here thinking about Jasper.

Jacob POV

I was watching TV with Dad; well it looked like I was watching TV but I was really thinking about Alex. I have never seen her this broken over a boy before; it really hurt me having to see her like this and it also scared me because she was having nightmares more often now. What’s worse is that she hasn’t told me about her nightmares; I know there not her normal ones because when there about her parent’s she doesn’t wake up screaming.

“I’m gonna go to bed” I said standing up from the couch.

“Night Jake” Dad replied. I got ready for bed but decided to check on my little baby sister before I went to bed. I quietly opened Alex’s bedroom door; the light from the hallway shone right on her bed, I signed when I saw she was tossing and turning in her bed. I frowned shutting her door quietly and walking to my room; I quickly fell asleep.

“Ahhhh!” I heard Alex screaming again; I jumped out of my bed being careful not to get tangled in my sheets. I nearly ripped my door of their hinges and I sprinted down the hallway; I threw Alex’s door open to see her sitting up in her bed, she was shaking, sweating, crying and panting. I wrapped my arms around her thin fragile body tightly; her hands gripped onto my shirt as tight as they could, I rested my head against her’s.

“Shh Alex I’m here” I whispered in her ear; I began to rock her back and forth slowly, and I rubbed her back gently. When I felt her start to calm down a bit I laid her back on her bed; I laid down with her, I got under her covers pulling her head onto my chest so she could hear my heartbeat.

“Thank you Jake” I heard Alex whisper in a sleepy voice.

“Anytime honey” I whispered back.

“I love you” She told me; her eyes fluttered shut.

“I love you more” I told her; I saw a small smile on her lips before we both fell asleep.