‹ Prequel: Love Bites
Sequel: Everlasting Love

Second Chances

Chapter 3

I was woken up by something hitting my head; I jumped from the sudden impact, I blinked my eyes until they focused on my English classroom again. I had fallen asleep in class again; I looked to see a big ball of paper was what woke me up, I looked behind me only to see a smirking Edward and a concentrating Bella.

“Miss Black, maybe you should take the rest of the day off you don’t look that good” Mrs. Fletcher told me quietly.

“Thanks Mrs. Fletcher” I smiled grabbing my stuff and heading to my locker. I packed my bag and hurried out to my car; I drove out of the school car park and along the familiar road, I stopped at a little flower shop on the way. I got there within a few minutes and hopped out of my car; I walked along the path until I found what I was looking for, I placed two flower bouquets in the little holders before I sat down on the grass.

“Hi Mum, hi Dad” I said looking at their gravestones.

Chase Ryan Martin

1958 – 1994

Loving husband, father and son, Father to Alexandra Ryan Martin, Will be greatly missed.


Ruby Alexandra Martin

1958 – 1994

Loving wife, mother and daughter, Mother to Alexandra Ryan Martin, Will be greatly missed.


I signed sadly before I talked to them; today was the anniversary of their death. I told them about how I was going, what has been happening lately, what’s happening in the world, and all the Forks and La Push gossip.

“Alexandra?” A familiar voice sound from behind me; I jumped when the voice startled me, I turned my head to see Jasper standing behind me.

“Hey Jazz” I said turning back around; why did he have to find me now? I didn’t want to bring him, not yet.

“Why aren’t you at school?” He asked sitting next to me.

“Mrs. Fletcher told me to leave because I fell asleep in her class” I mumbled; I also didn’t want to tell him that I was still having nightmares about that awful night.

“Why? Did you not sleep well last night?” Jasper asked sounding really worried about me.

“No not really” I signed looking at my parent’s gravestones.

“Another nightmare?” Jasper asked already knowing my answer, I nodded my head slowly.

“Their your parents” Jasper said with a smile on his lips.

“Yeah” I whispered looking down. I felt Jasper move closer to me; his arms wrapped around my waist pulling me closer to him.

“Today’s their anniversary; the day they died” I whispered looking up at Jasper; his expression changed to one of sadness and concern.

“I’m so sorry, I didn’t know” Jasper told me softly.

“I should have told you” I apologized looking into his concerned eyes.

“You don’t like talking about them, I understand that” Jasper defended me.

“Do you want to meet them?” I asked smiling a little.

“I would love too” Jasper smiled the smile I love.

“Mum, Dad I want you to meet my boyfriend Jasper Hale. Jazz this is my Mum and my Dad” I giggled; I felt so stupid doing that but it made me feel better.

“It’s a pleasure to finally meet you two” Jasper chuckled quietly. We sat there for a while longer; I was talking to my parents and Jasper just sat next to me silently, he just held me close to his cold body.

“I think it’s time that I show you something” I said after we said our goodbye to my parents.

“Of coarse Alex” Jasper said entwining our fingers together; we walked back to my car and hopped in.

“You never told me that you got your middle name from you’re father or that your first name was your mother’s middle name” Jasper said while I was driving along the familiar road.

“Yeah I know, sorry about not telling you stuff like that” I apologized quickly looking over to him.

“It’s fine” Jasper reassured me. I parked in the old driveway and slowly got out of my car; Jasper followed my lead and got out of my car too, I grabbed the two other flower bouquets and handed one to Jasper.

We walked hand in hand over to the open space; I looked around and saw that nothing had changed that much. The black grass was slightly taller; there were more flowers bouquets, the old fence was starting to fall apart, and the flower beds were dying. I took a deep breath as we walked over to the other flowers and placed ours among the others; we walked back to my car and we sat there in silence.

“That’s where my old house used to be; it was a gorgeous house, I loved it. I only lived in it for 4 years but my parent’s brought it even before they got married. Everything was so perfect that day; my parents took me to the park with Bella, Jacob, Rachel and Rebecca. We had so much fun playing together and running around; we had a picnic all together, our parents were talking and laughing. We came home and Dad played with me in the backyard; Mum told him not to because she didn’t want me to get sick but of coarse he didn’t listen. I was in my room colouring in a book; Dad was talking to Mum while she cooked dinner, I couldn’t really hear what they were saying. But then something started to smell bad; it smelt like when Dad tried to cook but ended up burning it" I stopped to take a deep breathe.

"Suddenly it started getting harder to breath; my parent’s were yelling my name so I walked down stairs, I couldn’t see anything but black smoke. I walked to the kitchen but it was already full of flames and smoke; so I walked into the living room but I couldn’t find my parents anywhere. The flames kept coming towards me so I walked back into a corner; that’s when I heard my parents screaming my name from upstairs. I wanted to go towards them but the flames were surrounding me; I wanted to scream to tell them where I was but I could hardly breath, the smoke was stinging my eyes so I couldn’t see" I stopped again to blink my tears back.

"Everything was so loud but I did manage hear the roof cracking and then I felt pain running through my body; I grabbed my shoulder while I looked above me, a piece of the roof had fallen down and it cut then top of my shoulder, that’s how I got the scar. I seriously thought I was going to die; but then I saw someone walking through the flames, they were walking towards me. They wrapped me in a wet blanket; covering every part of me and carried me in their arms, we got outside and they laid me on a stretcher. I looked back at my house to see it was completely engulfed in flames; then I watched as the roof caved in and my house crumbed to the ground, with my parents inside” I told Jasper what happened that night; a few tears ran down my cheeks but Jasper wiped them away.

“I’m so sorry love” Jasper whispered to me; he leaned over to kiss my cheek gently.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment Please!