‹ Prequel: Love Bites
Sequel: Everlasting Love

Second Chances

Chapter 8

“Jazz, I’ll be fine” I signed running my hand through my hair; I was sitting on the front porch steps talking to Jasper on my phone.

“It’s just a bonfire; the whole pack will be there, nothing will happen” I told him again; Jasper didn’t think it was a good idea for me to be outside for too long. I told him that nothing would happen because my guys will be right beside me.

“Look I have to go. I’ll be fine, I promise. I love you” I said when I saw a chocolate brown and a grey wolf walk out from the forest. I smiled and ran over to Embry and Quil; Embry lowed his body so I could climb onto his back, I wrapped my arms tightly around his neck and the three of us were running through the forest to the bonfire. This wasn’t my first time riding a wolf; I ride on Jacob’s back all the time, it’s so much fun too. We made it to the bonfire just as everyone else was arriving; I slid off Embry’s back and ran over to everyone else, Embry and Quil phased and then joined us. I sat in between Seth and Sam; Jacob and Bella were the last one’s to join our group, when they arrived it was time to eat. We had a load of hot dogs; chips and drinks, we all talked and laughed while we were eating.

After everyone was finished Dad and Old Quil started telling us the legends; now everyone sitting here apart from Bella and Kim have heard these stories like a million times but they never got boring. I loved listening to Dad tell people our legends; there was just something about them that I was drawn to. I wasn’t sure if it was the good vs. bad thing; standing up for what you believe in, doing the right thing, or always sticking by your family. It was probably all of them rolled into one. Seth wrapped an arm around my waist pulling me closer to him when he caught me shivering lightly; I leaned into him more too kept warm. Dad had everyone’s full attention; Emily was writing either notes down or the whole story down, she usually does that.

“Burden, I think it’s cool” Quil scoffed quietly; I felt Seth nodding in agreement, I smiled and Dad laughed low and long. Suddenly the magic of the legends disappeared and it was just a group of friends enjoying each other’s company.

Everyone started laughing when Jared flicked a rock at Quil making him jump; shortly after that is when everyone started talking again. I was listening to Seth talking about the legends and how cool it was; I saw Leah still had her eyes closed and my smile faded when I saw a single tear slide down her cheek, I can’t even image what it must be like to be the only female werewolf in all of history. Jacob hold me that she tries so hard to be just like the guys; she wants to prove to them that she’s just has tough as them. Leah might be harsh and bitter to people but can you really blame her? After everything that happened with Sam and Emily; it would break the strongest person. I smiled at her when she opened her eyes and caught me staring at her; she smiled slightly back at me.

Our relationship isn’t the best in the world but it’s not the worst either; Jacob told me how she feels about me. She does like me but she hates the fact that I’m dating a leech; I don’t blame her for feeling that way because at first even I felt like I was betraying my family. I was so surprised when the pack didn’t disown me when I went back to Jasper; I guess that we just have a relationship that nothing can break, I if it will stay the same way when I become a vampire. Slowly everyone started to make their way but home; Jacob took Bella back to the border after I gave her a huge hug and told her that I would see her tomorrow.

“We’re having a graduation party; it’s not a big deal” Alice told me, Bella and Edward as we walked towards our cars.

“It there any point in arguing?” Bella asked.

“No” Alice and I said at the same time; we looked at each other smiling.

“Fine I’ll be there” Bella grumbled.

“That’s the spirit” I laughed; I really don’t get why Bella hates parties so much, I love them! I’ve been so stressed lately; what with this strange vampire and the fact that graduation is only a week away. Throughout the day I’m at the Cullen’s house and then I go home before dinner; so Jasper has been making sure that I’m studying for my finals and not worrying about Victoria or the strange vampire.

The next day I was driving to school; Jacob or another wolf would run through the forest as I drove to the border then Jasper would run in the forest until I got to school. Today was different though; I had past over the border and then when no one I saw Jasper standing in the middle of my lane. I gasped slamming my foot on the brake; my car skidded to a stop and my body jerked forward from the sudden stop. Jasper was in my car the second it stopped; my breath was deep and I slowed my racing heart down before I spoke.

“Are you crazy?” I shouted looking over to my boyfriend.

“I’m sorry Alex but it was the only way I could think of to stop you” Jasper said amusement clear in his southern accent.

“Yeah right” I mumbled under my breath.

“Could you miss a day of school?” Jasper asked me seriously.

“Yeah sure” I nodded and started to drive to his house. We walked into his house hand in hand; Alice and Spencer were sitting on the stairs, Carlisle and Esme were watching the news on TV, and Emmett and Rosalie were in the kitchen. Jasper led me over to the couch in the living room; I sat down next to him, he wrapped an arm around my shoulders pulling me towards his body. I saw today’s newspaper on the coffee table so I grabbed it and read about the killings in Seattle; I was re-reading in when Edward and Bella walked into the house. Everyone moved into the living room and sat around on the couches; Carlisle turned the TV off when everyone was sitting down.

“Jasper, I think it’s times that Bella hears about your past” Edward said quietly; Bella was the only one who didn’t know Jasper’s past, Jazz told me on our very first date. I think he wanted to see if it scared me away but of coarse it didn’t.

Jasper stiffened slightly and he pulled me closer to his cold body; he turned to look at me, I smiled slightly and nodded. He took a deep long breath in and letting it out slowly before he started to talk; most of my attention was on Jasper as he spoke, but sometimes my eyes would move over to Bella just to see her attention was completely on Jasper. I watched as Jasper moved his free arm under the lamp that was beside our couch; with the light shining on his pale skin you could really notice his scars. The scarred skin was a tiny bit more paler then the rest of his skin; the bite marks were also raised off his skin slightly.

When Jasper finished his story I felt so proud of him; I, along with his family, know how much he doesn’t like talking about this past and the things that he did. I sat next to Jasper with his arms around me protectively; I was quiet as I listened to the conversations that my second family was involved in. We finally figured out that there was an army of newborn vampires; that we had to stop soon, and that we needed the help of Tanya’s family.

“It seems that Irina was more involved with Laurent then we first thought, it’s not good news either…” Carlisle trailed off after he got off the phone with Tanya.

“What is it?” I asked when Carlisle turned his attention to me.

“Irina wants revenge on the wolves; they will help us if we assist them with the wolves” Carlisle said slowly.

“No! No way” I shouted standing up from the couch; Jasper’s hand rested on the small of my back.

“Alex, I would never agree to that” Carlisle reassured me. That Irina was never going to go anywhere near my brothers and if she tried then she would have to deal with me first; she would have to get through me first and I am not going to let her past.

“Well we could win from skill but not from numbers. We could win but how many would we lose” Jasper stated when I finally sat back down calmly; he was staring at me with a worried and pained look across his beautiful features. So we could win the fight but we would end up losing some; who would we lose? Carlisle? Esme? Spencer? Alice? Emmett? Rosalie? Edward? Jasper? I couldn’t deal with losing another family; I couldn’t deal with losing Jasper again, not when I just got him back.
♠ ♠ ♠
Commet please =D