The Bet

Crooked Teeth.

Ms. Jackson was absent that day in chemistry. Shayla was relieved. She could use the extra hour for her homework overload.

She leaned to the side, picking up her black bag - the same bag she had used all four years. She let it fall into her lap and she dug out her worn Advanced Calculus textbook.

"Need any help?" Billie Joe's voice filled her ears and her desk sunk down to support his weight. She looked up at the thin yet muscular brunette. He was sporting a plain white shirt that was tight; shaping his threatening muscles.

"From you?" she asked, irritated.

"Ouch." he laughed, "I'm not as dumb as I look, you know."

He could smack himself for sounding as ridiculous as he had.

"Oh," she simply muttered, looking back down at the seemingly endless equations.

"Oh, yeah, your boyfriend could help you." He fought the smile tugging at his lips and eyed her just as she stopped writing with her answer down.

She looked up at him. "Not that it's any of your business, but yes, he could."

"I'm sure he's a smart guy." Billie pressed, knowing her was irritating her.

"He is." Her eyes narrowed as she stared at the stoner.

"Not a real asshole." He shrugged and she sat back against the plastic seat, crossing her arms.

"Are you trying to say something?" Her heart beat quickened, her stomach doing uncomfortable flips.

"Not really." he shrugged. "I think he's a real tool."

"And you're what, God's gift?" She spat.

The corners of his mouth curved upward. "It is what it is."

"Well aren't you cocky." She let out a breath.

"Nah, not cocky. Just aware." He shrugged once again. He seemed so...cool. Unfazed. Like he's shared that spiel a million times before.

"Aware of?"

"How people see me."

Shayla snorted.

"Oh, yeah. I'm sure it's all real positive."

Billie leaned in towards her, his cool breath hitting her cheek.

"I bumped into a girl in the cafeteria, after calling her 'baby' I had her in the palm of my hand."

"Poor girl," Shayla said softly, her eyes staring straight into his glassy emerald ones.

"See, the way I see it, you and your boyfriend aren't really in love. You put on this...show. You show that you are happy, the perfect couple. But in reality, you are boring, doing the same routine, and sticking together because it's familiar."

As they stared at each other, Shayla could not decide whether she was mad that he had just insulted her boyfriend - her first love - or that this stranger had hit the bulls eye.

"You've never been in love, have you?"

"Well, no-"

"Then don't say a thing if you have never been in the same situation. It's an ignorant input and you could not be any more wrong." She spoke slowly, making sure he got the picture. He was not going to destroy something she worked too hard, and too long to create.

"Oh, yeah?" he questioned.

"Yeah."

Billie stood up silently, walking beside her. She wrapped her arms tightly around her side, watching all too intently.

"Then this," he asked, grabbing at her belt loop. "Doesn't feel familiar?"

Shayla was about to reach out, like she had with Dave, when she was hit with a strong wave of deja vu.

She looked up slowly at Billie and was met with his soft eyes staring protectively into hers.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm back, everyone.