There's Too Much Green To Feel Blue

I Knew It All Along

It was nearly dark by the time they returned to Peter's place. Peter spotted his phone on the coffee table while Sam plopped onto the couch.
"Oh, there was my phone." he said. He suddenly winced.
"What?" Sam asked.
"I hope my mom didn't call." he said.
Sam gasped, "Have you told her about us?"
"No." Peter said fearfully.
"That woman will kill me in my sleep." Sam said.
"No, she won't." Peter tried to assure her, "She didn't like Hash when she first met her."
"Are you just saying that to make me feel better?" Sam asked.
"Yes." Peter instantly said. Damn! Sam had a weird spell on him. He had to work on not answering too quickly.
"Knew it." Sam muttered.
"I wonder if she found out about the trial." Peter said to himself as he reached down for the phone on the coffee table.
"Trial?" Sam asked. She gasped as comprehension dawned on her face.
"You mean over Lily? Peter, how come you didn't tell me about this? You need a lawyer, damn it!"
"Sorry." Peter said, "I didn't tell you, huh? Well, I got....distracted." he grinned.
"No one told you to kiss me." Sam argued.
"But you didn't stop me." Peter said.
Sam turned her head away from him.
"Ah, I won!" Peter said, "Cool, I almost never burn you--" he saw the look on Sam's face, "Beautiful." he added. He looked down at his phone, "Oh, work called. Let me call them back."
"No more bad news." Sam called after him as he went to his bedroom.
Peter closed the door and phoned his boss.
He emerged a few minutes later and trudged slowly to Sam on the couch. "More bad news." he announced.
"Oh, my God, you got fired!" Sam cried.
Peter frowned, "No." he sat next to her, "I have to go in to work tomorrow." he sat on the couch.
"What?" Sam said puzzled, "Why?"
"They finished renovating early." he gripped her hands, "I'm sorry."
Sam blinked at him.
"I'll come home for lunch." Peter said.
Sam laughed, "By the time you get here, you'll have to leave."
"But I want to see you." Peter said.
"Well, that's up to you." Sam said.
Peter leaned forward and gave her a passionate kiss, "Are you staying over tonight? Lily's not here."
"Okay." Sam grinned, so you won't get lonely." she grinned.
"Do you want to go to a movie or something?" Peter suggested.
"Peter, I've been your girlfriend all of one day!" Sam said, "Let's just enjoy ourselves tonight."
"That's fine." he said, "Just as long as you're here." he paused, "Hey, um, I'm just curious, were we about to do it last night?"
Sam nodded, "Probably."
"Huh." Peter said.
Peter wasn't looking to score with Sam, he really wasn't. He was just happy she was being affectionate with him. What he really was looking forward to was snuggling with her. Sam wasn't big on PDA, she said it was rude. So he didn't get to give her more than small kisses throughout the day.
He hated the thought of having to leave her tomorrow. He hadn't gotten to spend much time with her and they had only just started going out. He was going to miss the smell of strawberries that would be replaced by the smell of coffee and doughnuts. The good news was that today was Wednesday. He only had to suffer through Thursday and Friday.
That night, they had a small dinner. Peter decided to cook for Sam, which is why it was a small dinner. Then Sam insisted that they watch the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie. He wasn't sure why she wanted to, but they did. At eleven p.m., they went to bed. Again, they didn't sleep. They talked and kissed. They were in the same position they had been the night before.
"Why did you wear that?" Peter complained, "You're making this hard for me?"
Sam had slipped into a spaghetti strapped tight red dress and knee high white socks. The dress showed way more skin than she usually showed.
"I'll make it easier." Sam pulled off her socks and wrapped her leg around Peter's, "Better?"
"No." Peter said.
"You sure?" Sam giggled.
In response, Peter kissed her. "My mom called me," he said after a while, "I don't have to pick up Lily up until afternoon."
"I've got a day off." Sam said.
"Sam," Peter said, "what...what is it about me that attracts you?"
For some reason, Sam found that extremely funny. She laughed and laughed until she buried her head in his chest and gave him a quick kiss.
"What? I'm serious." Peter said.
"You're seriously stupid!" Sam laughed.
"Is that what you like me?" Peter asked.
"Shut up." Sam said and she kissed him so fervently that Peter forgot what he had said.
In the morning, Sam slipped a black jacket that belonged to Pete over her dress and began to make breakfast. In the mean time, Peter showered. They ate a quick breakfast. Peter told her about the dream that he had involving her. Peter was already missing her and he hadn't left yet.
"It's been a while since I've seen you in your work clothes." Sam said while they stood next to the counter.
She ran her hands down his chest admiring it, "I love it."
"You still look sexier than me." Peter said.
"Oh, yeah, no one's arguing that." Sam said. She patted his arm, "Okay, go to work."
"Do, do I have to?" he smiled and held her close.
Sam smiled too and allowed him to hug her. He tilted his head and whispered in her ear. Sam giggled at the brush of air.
"Wait, no, no, no!" she pushed him away, "Go to work!"
Peter backed up toward the door and pulled Sam along with him, "I'm coming home for lunch." he kissed her.
"I wouldn't." Sam advised as he continued to pull her.
He kissed her again, "You sure? I want to see you." He smooched her.
"You'll see me this afternoon." Sam said quickly before he kissed her once more.
Peter felt his back hit the door. He opened it behind his back and backed up a step into the hallway, "One last kiss."
" 'You're pretty face disguised in a veil of fear, drips with tears as I gave you one last kiss before the fall. ' " Sam sang.
Peter pulled her by the hips and gave her a final lenghty good-bye kiss.
"Sam," he said when he pulled away, "you'll be here when I get back...right?" he asked uncertainly.
"Yes," Sam said, "I don't see my other boyfriend 'til next weekend."
Peter pointed at her, "Not funny."
But Sam giggled anyway. "Hey," she said as he walked away, "I got another one! 'One last kiss, before I go, wipe your tears, it is time to let you go!' " she sang.
Peter finally left. As Peter predicted, when he walked into work, he instantly lost the smell of strawberries and was slapped by the smell of coffee and doughnuts.
Sam straightened up the kitchen. She was surprised to find one of her favorite bags in cabinets. She locked the front door and headed to her apartment. As always, as she walked up the hallway. William opened his door and waited for her.
"It's not my birthday." William said running his eyes up and down Sam, "I like your socks. Can I have them?"
Sam snorted, "No."
"Can I have you?" William asked.
Sam rolled her eyes and clicked her tongue, "You never cease to amaze me." she said in a dull tone.
"I amaze you?" William grinned, "Well, that's a start. But amaze is such and old cliche word. How about dazzle? Do I dazzle you?"
Sam stopped short in front of her door and turned to William with wide eyes, "Are you Edward Cullen?"
"If I say I am," William began, "will you--"
"Yes." Sam said, not letting him finish.
"Okay, then, I am this Edward...Cobain guy, whatever."
"Prove it." Sam challenged, "Say something Edward-like."
"Um..." William began.
"How dare you leave me and Bella?" Sam cried out suddenly. She smacked William with her bag, "So many sleepless nights of endless crying and pain and then for you to come back and make us love you again?! 'Look at me, I'm Edward. I'm hot, I'm a gentleman and I'm a vampire. I want to devour you with love and I want to devour your blood. I'm so hot for you but you can't touch this until we get married. The pants come off when the ring comes on.' You tease! All you do is tease us! I can't even look at you right now!" she turned and stormed into the apartment.
William remained frozen in the hallway, "What the--" he murmured.
Sam strode toward her room, threw the bag aside and sat on the bed fuming, "Well," she said to herself, "Edward and Bella did end up getting married."
Satisfied, she uncrossed her arms, got up and rummaged through her closet. She had decided to go around town and look for a suitable lawyer to help Peter. She picked out a lilac dress with small white square as a pattern. The dress puffed out below her chest so that it made her look slightly pregnant. She threw on a peach sweater with gray trimmings and ended the outfit with small gray flats. She fixed her hair and quickly headed out.
William was still standing in the hallway puzzled. He snapped out of his thoughts when he saw her.
"Oh, my God, you look hot!" he said looking her up and down again, "Where are you going?"
"Out." Sam said.
"Can I come with you?" he asked.
"William, if Fall Out Boy's singer switched to Panic at the Disco, and Panic at the Disco's singer switched to The Academy Is, and The Academy Is's singer switched to Fall Out Boy, could you really tell the difference?" Sam asked distractedly.
"Who?" William asked confused.
Sam smirked knowingly, "See ya."
"Wait, Sam." William said, "I've seen you wear many things, but this outfit," he gestured toward the clothes, "I--take me." he suddenly threw himself at her.
"William!" Sam cried out startled, "William, no!"
"I need you, Sam." William whispered in her ear as he ran his hands down the side of her waist, "Take me!"
"William--no!" Sam cried as he continued to whisper, "Shut up and let me go!" she pushed him away.
Scandalized, she strode toward the elevator and quickly pressed the button. She turned back to William, who was staring at her.
She couldn't help it, she had to finish her previous statement, just because she had to, "Hey!" she finished.
The elevator doors opened and she walked in.
"I'm coming with you, woman." William said running in after her.
Sam spent the day walking around town with William. She made sure that William never saw her go into a law firm. She didn't want William to know Pete's personal matters and she didn't want him seeing a law firm and insist that she sleep with him because of what happened last time. To throw him off, Sam would lead him into a store and when he was distracted, she would duck out of the store and quickly run to a nearby law firm. After a few strips, Sam quit and bought herself a brand new bag and a large hand held mirror. William offered to buy her lingerie but she wisely declined. When they walked in the sidewalks among the crowd, William would slide his arm around her waist continously and she would respond by smacking him.
"You know you like it." William had said.
"I hate you." Sam had responded.
Sam made sure to text Peter not to come home for lunch, since she was out. Peter had grudginly agreed. She had already decided not to tell Peter that she was out scouting for a lawyer. She knew he would just fuss over her and tell her not to bother with that. She would only tell him when she found a suitable lawyer. She hated lawyers....except for Harvey Levin. She ended up having lunch with William at a small cafe.
"Every guy in this place is totally jealous of me." William said arrogantly as he looked around the cozy place.
"Settle down, William." Sam said.
"Sam," William said, "I just don't get why you won't go out with me."
Sam bit her lip and bowed her head to hide her smile. She hadn't told William about her and Pete's current relationship. He probably wouldn't believe her if she did.
The server came by then and slipped them the bill. Sam looked up at the server and jumped. It was Ryan, the guy from the restaurant where her and Peter had their first date. Sam and Ryan stared at each other.
"You still hungry, babe?" William asked placing his hand on the bill and watching Sam and Ryan's odd behavior, "I saw you scarf down like fifty plates."
"No, no, I'm not." Sam said, her eyes still on Ryan.
"Okay, I'm paying, babe." William said taking the bill.
"Can we leave now?" Sam asked as Ryan's eyes bored into her's.
"Yeah, yeah." William said.
They stood up. Sam immediately stepped forward and grabbed William's hand. She looked over her shoulder cautiously to make sure Ryan was far away. William smirked all the way out the shop.
"So, are we going out?" William asked grinning.
"Only in front of Ryan." Sam said looking through the shop window, "Take me home, William."
William grinned wider, "It would be my pleasure."
They took a cab home. In the hallway, Sam hugged William.
"Thanks for keeping me company." Sam said, "And for behaving yourself."
"Wanna keep me company?" William asked hugging her back.
Sam pulled away and shook her head disapprovingly, "You're a complete mess, just look at yourself." she pulled out her brand new mirror.
William smiled at his reflection, "On the contrary, I didn't think I looked that good."
"You're a pickle head." Sam smiled.
William hugged her again, "See ya, babe." Without warning, he smacked her butt. Before she could say anything, he receded into his apartment.
Sam dropped her bag in the apartment and returned to Peter's place.
That afternoon, Peter came home just a few minutes earlier than usual. She didn't know he did it because after work, he had picked up Lily and he still came a little early. Peter walked straight in with Lily at his side.
"Hi, Sam!" Lily ran and hugged her.
"Hey, pretty girl." Sam greeted. She glanced at Peter, who was furiously ripping of his tie.
"I'm going to my room. I miss my bed." Lily announced.
Pete waited until he heard the door slam. When he did, he swooped Sam into his arms and kissed her.
Why was everybody fondling her today? Even Ryan had eye raped her. Not wanting to be left out, Sam kissed him back. She really wanted to bite him, she loved biting people.
"Sam, you're not going to stay tonight, are you?" Peter asked when he pulled away after a few seconds.
Sam smiled but shook her head, "Remember the boundaries, Peter."
"You're right." Peter said, "We shouldn't have spend the other nights together."
"We can't be selfish." Sam said.
"All right." Peter said.
The three of them spent a nice evening together eating dinner and watching tv. Sam didn't mention anything about lawyers. She hadn't really found the right person yet. And it infuriated her going to their offices because they each had snotty secretaries that would make anyone wait if they so much as came in wearing the wrong type of shoes or perfume. Sam didn't spend the night, but she stayed as late as she could. When it seemed like they would both fall asleep on the couch, Sam decided to leave. Peter wouldn't let her leave unless she let him walk her. So they walked slowly, hand in hand, to her apartment. They took the stairs just to spend a bit more time together.
"You're such a tease, you know." Peter said as they walked up the first flight of stairs.
"Why?" Sam asked.
"You look super cute." Peter complimented.
Sam laughed, "Not bad for a lonely white lady."
"Not lonely." Peter corrected, slipping his hand around her waist.
"Ryan eye raped me today!" Sam blurted out.
"What?" Peter asked bewildered.
"I bought a new bag, I got some coffee, he was there and he eye raped me!" Sam said.
"Hmm." Peter said, "I don't blame him, I eye raped you when I came in, too."
"That doesn't count." Sam said, "You can't rape the willing."
They reached Sam's hallway and they stopped in front of her door.
Pete pulled her close by the waist, "I'm having second thoughts about the boundaries."
"No, Peter." Sam grinned.
"I know, I know." Peter said. He sighed, "Okay, good night, Sam." He placed a hand on her cheek and gave her a long soft kiss.
Then he left and Sam watched him until he entered the elevator. A door to her right slowly and noisily swung open. William tentatively stepped out, his eyes wide.
"Oh, my God, he kissed you! Oh, my God, you're going out! Oh, my God," his hands flew to his face, "what's going to happen to me?!" His eyes focused on her and he pointed an accusing finger, "I knew it, I knew it! It's true, isn't it, princess? You guys are together?"
Grinning widely and holding back her laughter, Sam nodded.
"You are sleeping with him, I was right!" he cried.
"Well, actually," Sam began.
"No, princess," he covered his ears, "no more lies!" He threw himself back into the apartment.
Chortling to herself, Sam went into her apartment.